Unlimited access >

Puppy Training Resources

Looking for some puppy training resources, would love to find something like Warwick Schiller but for dogs. Our new pup is doing well with very basic manners and obedience and we are working to get him into a puppy training class and day training but want to work on his confidence at home. He gets spooked fairly easily (though is improving), and once spooked can’t seem to calm back down. I feel like the training Warwick does would be super helpful but have no idea how to apply it to a dog.

AKC has a few videos.

An here’s an article on calming.

1 Like

I really like Leerburg and Michael Ellis videos in particular. They have completely changed my rescue dogs into behaving members of society.

Not Warwick focused as dogs are hunters and not prey, but lots of positive reinforcement and making the right things easy.

2 Likes

If you aren’t already I would highly recommend crate training and place training. The crate gives them a safe space that it theirs. Place training is a great way to teach them impulse control, teaches a busy dog that they can in fact stop and chill, and is a great tool down the road for teaching more advanced exercises.

What breed is the puppy? And how old exactly? We might be able to suggest some games that could help with confidence.

And where are the pictures? :grinning:

I don’t know of a subscription type of course/package like warwick’s for behavioral issues with dogs.

It is usually easiest to deal with those things one on one. Trainers listed here https://peaceablepaws.com/find-a-trainer/ are generally a safe place to start, if you’re looking for in-person help. My own dog trainer does some virtual training sessions. I can give you her contact information if you’re interested. It’s all very warwick-ian in that they are force-free, science-based, and relationship based in their training approach. I think you’ll find that that’s generally the approach of the trainers on that Pat Miller list.

^^for what it’s worth, I fostered a lot of dogs with that sort of reactivity. It is usually workable, you kind of need to help direct the energy into a safe, “sanctioned,” outlet and they tend to be able to learn new coping mechanisms. That outlet will be different for different dogs though. Some benefit from blowing off steam with some higher energy task like “find it” or other physical activity, and some seem calmed by more of a quiet task (like a sit/stay). You need a trainer who is flexible enough to see what your pup responds to best and can help them lean into it.

Not a subscription format, but CleanRun has tons of online courses (some instructor led, some self-paced)
Here’s a link to their catalog of puppy classes
https://www.cleanrun.com/category/online_dog_training_classes/online_courses_by_discipline/puppy_training_online_classes/index.cfm

6 Month old Golden Retreiver, intact male. We only got him a few weeks ago or so. We are working on crate training but really struggle there. He has some pretty bad separation anxiety which I think is likely linked to the confidence issues. We’ve been working on the crate training as much as possible, but feel like he regresses when we have to leave and have to crate him for a period of time. In an ideal world, we wouldn’t crate him for longer than he is ready for and work at his pace, but in the real world we have to leave the house at times to go places he can’t go with such as grocery shopping. He’s got the place training mostly down with some tether assistance (once the tether is on he settles, we are working to wean off the tether).