Purina equine senior vs TC Senior??

Hi everyone!
i have an ulcer prone horse who is currently on purina wellsolve low starch
Vet wants me to do either purina senior or TC senior
I was thinking more TC senior
what do u think?
horse is on 1/4 of ulcergard always and sucralfate

Thanks y’all!

TC all the way. Can’t tell you how many times I found foreign matter or chunks of moldy grain in my Purina Senior.

I, too, have an ulcer prone horse, and twice a day he gets 3/4 of a pound of TC 30, 2 cups of beet pulp that’s soaked since the previous feeding, a handful of AlfaLox and a cup of corn oil. This seems to work very well for him. He also has orchard grass hay in front of him at all times. Even though he has 24/7 access to pasture, he’ll eat every last bite of his hay.

Thanks so much! I feed my horse alfa lox too! and he has 24/7 hay :))

The NSC is very different. TC Senior is very low. It is a great feed. All my horses eat it, young and old.

Can anyone enlighten me on the fixed formula thing about purina?

TC Senior or TC Complete. I use the complete to keep weight on my ulcer prone mare- I like that it is beet pulp based and has a high fat %. I go with TC over Purina because I know each bag of TC will be consistent with the same ingredients and guaranteed analysis so I don’t have to guess what my horse may or may not be getting nutrition wise.

I’ve used both successfully, but I prefer TC. I can’t reliably get TC in my area, so my TB’s on a mix of Purina Senior and Ultium. I do appreciate how quickly the Purina absorbs water–it makes a nice mush for the two older geldings in my care.

My barn owner feeds Purina Equine Senior to some of the horses in the barn. We tried it on mine and it had no positive effect.

I can’t get TC in my area either, but I have used the following feed from Kent with really great success: http://www.sentinelfeed.com/pe.html

They have a senior-specific formulation that I haven’t tried, but this particular formulation allowed my 27 year old with not-so-great teeth to get back to a healthy weight in a matter of 2-3 months. He is doing so well I am considering riding him, which I haven’t done in over a year and a half.

I prefer TC but can’t get it in my area. I use Purina and beet pulp and my seniors look great, however, they don’t have any other issues and I wish I had TC.

[QUOTE=borntobewild129;7848665]
Can anyone enlighten me on the fixed formula thing about purina?[/QUOTE]

Fixed formula means that every bag will have the same pounds of alfalfa, soybean meal, beet bulp etc. Every bag should be nearly identical. Many Purina feeds just guarantee that the nutritional analysis will be the same but not necessarily that the ingredients will be the same. So one lot may have more wheat in it, one might have less alfalfa… as long as it all tests out to their guaranteed analysis (%protein, %fiber, %vitamins, etc) they call it good. They do this to save cost since grain and by product pricing can change from month to month and they may have changes in the types and amount of by products available from within the company from other manufacturing processes.

Consumers prefer a fixed formula feed because there is no sudden diet changes going from one bag to the next that could upset the horse’s digestion process.

I don’t know if Purina Senior is fixed formula or not. Some lines are, some aren’t. TC Sr is fixed formula.

Love the TC Senior too.

[QUOTE=mypaintwattie;7848745]
TC Senior or TC Complete. I use the complete to keep weight on my ulcer prone mare- I like that it is beet pulp based and has a high fat %. I go with TC over Purina because I know each bag of TC will be consistent with the same ingredients and guaranteed analysis so I don’t have to guess what my horse may or may not be getting nutrition wise.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t feed TC Complete to an ulcer-prone horse - the NSCs is almost twice that of the TC Senior (20.6 vs. 11.7). You want low for a horse with ulcers.

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/articles/horse-food-carbohydrate-values-triple-crown-horsefood/

I’m not a fan of Purina - I’ve been feeding Triple Crown for a long time and have been very happy with the results.

TC Senior, all the way. At least if Pennfield Fibergized isn’t an option.

Thanks everyone!
What does nsc mean?

TC Senior is great! NSC values are (basically) how much sugar is in the feed. More and more companies will now list the values- you want lower rather than higher.

Anther one to consider: we began feeding Nutrena’s new black bag line a few months ago and we love it. I don’t like any of the other Nutrena feeds, but we decided to try the Pro Force line due to its make-up and it turns out to be fantastic. We feed the Fuel and the Fiber, but they have a Senior formula that looks very good. They list the sugar content on their website- they are all low sugar- the Fuel and the XTN are the lowest- and beet pulp based. They have good protein and fat levels, good ingredients, and a guaranteed analysis.

[QUOTE=yellowbritches;7850968]
TC Senior, all the way. At least if Pennfield Fibergized isn’t an option.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. TC Growth is also quite similar and we have had a lot of luck with that.

[QUOTE=borntobewild129;7851321]
Thanks everyone!
What does nsc mean?[/QUOTE]

Non structural carbohydrates. Sugars and short chain carbs. High NSC levels are linked with increased risk of laminitis, ulcers and making horses hot. Grains are high in NSCs so most feed that is low is beet pulp or alfalfa based.

ohhh thank you!
so TC senior would be low NSC?

[QUOTE=borntobewild129;7854506]
ohhh thank you!
so TC senior would be low NSC?[/QUOTE]

Yes TC Senior is 11.7 which is low - hard to find much lower than that. I feed TC Lite which is 9.3 but it’s made for easy-keepers and not sure you are looking for a low-calorie feed. See the chart below for the NSC number for Triple Crown feeds:

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/articles/horse-food-carbohydrate-values-triple-crown-horsefood/

Most companies don’t have this info on their websites so you may have to call/email them to find out if you are interested in another feed/brand.

thanks so much!
definitely going to do TC senior :))