Unlimited access >

Putting a bridle on with bit guards

Silly question, but does anyone have any tips on how to put a bridle on with bit guards so that the guard stays at the end of the bit and does not slide down into the middle when you are putting the bit into the horses mouth. My hand isn’t big enough to keep them both to the side, slide the bit into the horses mouth, and keep the bridle up at the same time.:lol:

There is probably a really simple fix but I’m totally clueless. :cry:

I hold the bridle in my right hand on the bridge on the nose, hold the bit in my left hand with thumb and pinky finger spread wide keeping the guards out enough that when you slide the bit in they stay to the sides, then up and over the ears. Practice gets it done faster.

Bigger hands?

Still sometimes end up with part of one guard stuck half way in the mouth and have to pull it out and arrange it after the fact!

[QUOTE=AmmyByNature;8767897]
Bigger hands?

Still sometimes end up with part of one guard stuck half way in the mouth and have to pull it out and arrange it after the fact![/QUOTE]

That’s what I had to do today, I felt so bad. Tried to scour the internet to see if their were any tricks, just like putting them on is super easy then putting them on the horse will be super easy right? Wrong! :lol: Like @BellaMia said I think it just takes a lot of practice and I don’t think there is really any easy “trick” to go along with it. :(((

But please if anyone does have any tricks please let me know. :lol:

Kind of a pain but you could un-fasten the cheek pieces on one side, put the bridle on over the ears, then slide the bit into the horse’s mouth. Re-fasten the cheek piece and off you go.

Don’t use a bit that requires bit guards. :wink:

I also find newer/stiffer bit guards to be easier than older floppier ones. And make sure your bit+guards isn’t too small.

I also use my right hand to hold the bridle at the bridge of the nose, and use my thumb and pinky to spread the guards.

Pattnic–The lesson barn I ride in tends to like to use bit guards on horses used in the beginner up-downs. Even on some snaffles. I’m sure the horses appreciate the extra “safety” for their teeth!

Acavallo makes a bit guard that doesn’t slide. its like they have a bit of a sleeve on them that prevents it.