Putting sheepskin under a PSOS pad?

I use PS of Sweden pads (I only have a couple, my collection is in its infancy compared to some). I really prefer to have sheepskin against the horse, but I don’t want to add bulk, definitely don’t want a rolled edge half pad. Eons ago I had a sheepskin half pad that was just a sheared lambskin. I’m thinking something like that under the PSOS pads? Since it’s (If I can find one) an actual skin, it should be pretty grippy and not migrate is what I’m thinking. Does anyone else use a sheepskin under their PSOS? Thanks in advance.

I have a black Mattes sheepskin half pad with no rolls, and I use it under my normal square saddle pad. I don’t use PSOS pads anymore (one size is too small and the next size is bloody huge in my short backed horse), and primarily use LeMieux and/or Eskadron. Never had any issues with it as long as my saddle was fitted to accommodate the half pad. It also doesn’t move, and stays in place just fine.

4 Likes

Yes, I have done this fairly recently for a horse that arrived with zero topline. It stayed in place perfectly under a regular thin Ogilvy pad and before the horse gained enough topline for even that, it stayed perfectly under a thicker pad and an Ogilvy half pad. I’ve always used sheepskin next to the horse whether it’s just a skin or a Mattes style half pad.

1 Like

I have exactly this set-up. I used to use a Prolite shimmable halfpad on top of my LeMieux dressage pad. This spring the saddle fitter widened my saddle and now I use the mattes shimmable sheepskin halfpad with no rolls under my LeMieux dressage pad. My mare really likes this set-up currently.

2 Likes

I love sheepskin half-lined pads (all I use), but for times when I Need a pretty saddle pad, I got a sheepskin liner. Basically turns any pad into a half-lined pad. Something to consider?

1 Like

I’ve put sheepskin half pads without rolls under my Ogilvy baby pad when my mare had lost some top line and the saddle was a fraction too wide. But she put topline back on and massage person noticed she was back sore in a way that suggested saddle fit problems. I stopped using the sheepskin the saddle was stable and the back pain disappeared.

So you can’t just add a sheepskin unless there is room between horse and saddle and saddle is effectively a tad too wide without it. Like if you want to wear super thick wool socks in your boots you need to go up half a size.

4 Likes

I only ride my horse with sheepskin on his back. Seems to prefer it. I gave up and bought the one-piece square Mattes pads with the sheepskin built in to avoid the bulk.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s exactly what I’m looking for! Now I just need to find one in the States :smiley:

1 Like

I use an eskadron sheepskin underlay with my lemieux pads and the tab connectors work with the underlays

1 Like

Well, I found one in Canada (in fact, in a tack store just an hour up the road on Vancouver Island), so there should be plenty out there!