Unlimited access >

Q & A for beginners! A place for more expirence riders to answer all your questions!

Write anything you want to ask, and I will try my best to answer it! This is 100 PERCENT DEVOTED TO YOU :heart:
No qustion is too silly to ask, so ask away!

Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses, or 1 horse sized duck?

4 Likes

Well what is YOUR experience? Feel like that is relevant before you start offering to answer others.

2 Likes

Aside from not knowing experience level, this would make a good stickey. Assuming it’s more rules and training then fashion advice.
@endlessclimb definitely one horse sized duck.

1 Like

Didn’t you say you were 14?

2 Likes

Another question: If you had to eliminate one inanimate object from planet earth, what would it be and why?

I remember being young and cocky. Once I could move around my horse without feeling like it was a ticking bomb of when I was going to get killed, I turned into the OP. Now, 16 years later, I walk around with my tail firmly jammed between my legs for how much I now realize I don’t know.

Rock on, OP. Fuel the passion. …but please fix the typo in the thread title kthxbai

4 Likes

Aw, come on guys. This is a clearly a kid. Be nice. Why do you have to rain on her parade?

2 Likes

Haha! Yeah I just noticed the typo oops! Realizing I didn’t say much about my OWN expirence, I’ve been riding since I was six, starting in a western barn. I rode there for a year before my parents started to struggle with finances, so I moved to go live with my moms friend who worked at a English barn. I stayed there until I was twelve and went back to my parents in Chicago, where I know still ride English and have recently switched too a new barn that I love! Yes I know I’m also super cocky but I think I’m okay for a freshman lmao… I just wanted to give some advice to younger riders who may just be starting because I know one f my friends just started and she has so many questions, mostly about saddles, half chaps and that stuff. Please no hate I’m just trying to be friendly because I’m new to this forum and love it so far.

1 Like

Haha thank you. Let me enjoy my life

umm it would most likely be volley balls because I got hit in the face once and it broke my nose. That’s pretty much why. Thanks for understanding that everyone is always learning somthing everyday! It kind of hurts that someone will look down on you because of age, not knowing how much expirence you truly have had. I’ve spent a lot of time around horses all my life and I defidently do know there is a whole world out there of stuff I don’t understand, also why I joined this forum for more friendly advice.

1 Like

haha! One horse sized duck! I would throw a lot of bread at it and then run for the hills!

I posted it in another comment. Sorry I didn’t specify, I just want to help others.

I disagree ducks are mean I’d go for the duck sized horses

2 Likes

Here is my horse question
I don’t ride but just got a horse last week (wasn’t planned it needed a home and I am a sucker). It is around 8 yr old has 90 days training and supposed to be safe trail horse. What are the odds my 12 yr old kid can teach it some very low level jumping? She rides and half leases a different horse. I like to burn money apparently.

Well, fine. But the whole COTH forum exists to answer these questions.

Here is a question.

Last year maresy got repeated bouts of impaction colic. I felt like the alfalfa hay I was feeding was implicated, so I cut that out. Also I started feeding mash twice a day to up the water intake.

Given that it’s almost a year since our last bout of colic, am I safe to reintroduce alfalfa? Or should I try to up the limitng amino acids through a supplement? Or just not worry?

2 Likes

I was going to start playing these games with her - but she specified it to be a “beginner question” thread. So, I elected to smile at this whole thing, remembering the younger girl at the barn who triumphantly asked me “well… have you ever CANTERED???” during a bout of cockiness.

As long as they aren’t hurting anyone - Let them be immortals. How fun. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah I’m an old meanie I guess. :slight_smile:

Your story reminded me of this barn I ended up managing. A kid in high school thought he would become the BM since he worked there longer not I the 20 something adult. He also became indignant over me getting hired to ride a client’s horse. He clearly had more experience since he showed in the children’s eq and I never did. I smiled and nodded over everything. He finally quit complaining when he watched me school one of my horses, proclaiming he would NEVER ride that horse. It was all I could do to say well yeah, I’d never ask you to. He was quite a lovely rider just cocky on his steady eddy eq horse.

Well one doesn’t need to ride that well to be a good barn manager! :slight_smile:

You need to be good at ordering hay and collecting board money.

1 Like

My saving grace!

1 Like