Unlimited access >

Quality Horse Hay For Sale - North Carolina

[QUOTE=Bayhawk;6117267]
thanks Tamara for the calculations but my deal is normal for us here in Va. $ 8 a bale delivered and helped put in the loft. Not $ 8 a bale PLUS $600 delivery fee or $4 a mile delivery fee. Whew ! I couldn’t or wouldn’t pay that.[/QUOTE]

yes I understand that but again…

you don’t know how much you paid for the hay(product) and how much for the service(delivery)…as they are not telling you…my customers would not tolerate that from us.

Tamara

[QUOTE=Tamara in TN;6117961]
yes I understand that but again…

you don’t know how much you paid for the hay(product) and how much for the service(delivery)…as they are not telling you…my customers would not tolerate that from us.

Tamara[/QUOTE]

Yes but I don’t care. If I agree to pay $8 per bale , I don’t care how much of that is in fuel or hauling.

Like I said before , it’s when you add $600 on top of that that makes it over the top. If you or this person added it in and said ok…we will deliver you the hay for $12 a bale…then I would know that’s not what I will pay.

Here in Va , we never pay more than $ 8 per bale of premium 2nd cut hay…delivered.

[QUOTE=Tamara in TN;6116994]
well we always separate the hay from the fuel on the customer invoices…as one is “cost of goods sold” and the other is well…fuel:lol:

$4 a mile is the standard rate for any delivery these days that is dedicated and one way…fuel is $3.85 gal and the big trucks burn a gal every 4-6 miles loaded or empty…so a truck coming back 200 miles w/o a load has just burnt $154 just trying to come back home…and $154 to get to you…

the typical way to bill a road truck is 1/3 fuel,1/3 driver 1/3 truck upkeep
at .77 mile that is 2.31 one way…times two as you gotta get home and that is 4.60/mile…anything less than that is a deal under a 500 mile run…over 500 ile runs and you can get in the $2.80’s

most people are already paying that they just (as you say) have it “built in” to the price…if your hay was 50 lb bales you just paid $400 a ton delivered to you…

there is very little hay grown in Md that can command that wholesale price w/o the delivery fee being built into it…

so you may have paid $5 for the bale and $3 for the delivery…which brings the haul bill back on 302 bales to $906 delivery fee

or $6 for the hay and $2 for the delivery which is $604 delivery fee

but as your grower/seller did not split the bill on paper, you don’t know for sure how much was hay and how much was time and fuel…

Tamara[/QUOTE]

Tamara

I have never heard of anyone charging $4 a loaded mile either thats astronomical. The most expensive quote I got and we buy all have from ohio is $1.75 a loaded mile and the cheapest was $1.25 a loaded mile. I was interested in this hay but not with those delivery prices

[QUOTE=ddekete;6149368]
Tamara

I have never heard of anyone charging $4 a loaded mile either thats astronomical. The most expensive quote I got and we buy all have from ohio is $1.75 a loaded mile and the cheapest was $1.25 a loaded mile. I was interested in this hay but not with those delivery prices[/QUOTE]

and as long as the bills are not seperated they rarely will;)
you have bought hay this season from Ohio? on a dedicated run truck?

Tamara

do you guys have a hard time finding hay locally? I’ve never had trouble finding hay more than 15 or 20 miles from my farm, but maybe that’s unusual, and I usually get fabulous hay for $3 or $4 a bale for square, and $20-25 for round bales.

[QUOTE=equinekingdom;6836535]
do you guys have a hard time finding hay locally? I’ve never had trouble finding hay more than 15 or 20 miles from my farm, but maybe that’s unusual, and I usually get fabulous hay for $3 or $4 a bale for square, and $20-25 for round bales.[/QUOTE]

We are located close to you (McLeansville) and unless we’re talking 20 years ago, I have NEVER found acceptable hay for $3-4/bale around here. What type of hay are you using? How heavy are the bales? We used to ship in timothy from PA for $2/bale but that was back in the 80s. Usually hay is VERY hit or miss. We have 2 wonderful suppliers now; very fortunate.

[QUOTE=Bayhawk;6117267]
thanks Tamara for the calculations but my deal is normal for us here in Va. $ 8 a bale delivered and helped put in the loft. Not $ 8 a bale PLUS $600 delivery fee or $4 a mile delivery fee. Whew ! I couldn’t or wouldn’t pay that.[/QUOTE]

I’d take that deal if I lived in California !