Unlimited access >

Quality Training and lessons

Hi,

I move around freequently due to my job, and therefore have to find new trainers and teachers on a regular basis. What are some of the search terms you use to succesfullty find trainers and lesson programs in your area? Especially then when the area does not have a USDF/USEF certfied trainer close by? How do you look for quality trainerts and lesson programs?

Thank you!

Really you have to make a list, then check in person. I doubt you can find what you want just by internet search terms.

First, how many trainers are USEF or usdf certified? Is this even a thing? Canada has Equine Canada certified coaches, and while that is a minimum guarantee, your basic level one coach could span anything from a 19 year old teaching in a lesson factory to a mediocre older part time coach to a very good competition coach who didn’t feel any need to upgrade their rating. Plus some very good coaches never get any EC certification at all especially if their competition record speaks for itself.

Anyhow: obviously, narrow your search by discipline. Most barns and trainers have websites these days.

If competition matters to you, Google the show records of the trainer and their students. Go watch them at a show. Or go watch lessons at the barn.

Pick someone who rides in a way you like and whose more advanced students ride that way too.

Aftet that take a sample trial lesson and see if you like their teaching.

For any individual adult rider there are going to be many quality trainers who aren’t a good fit.

It’s like finding a hair stylist or a dentist. Easy to get a list from the Yellow Pages. Can take years to find one that doesn’t scare you.

This is where word of mouth recommendation is very useful. Ask your current trainer for recommendations or post here on COTH saying something like “looking for good beginner hunter lessons in San Fernando Valley” etc which is a common kind of post here.

All that said, OP your first and last post was about your idea for an online equestrian exercise program. This makes me wonder if you are being a little disingenuous in your question here.

Is your real question, “how can I add tags to my future website that will capture folks looking for quality instruction given that I have no certification or credentials?”

That’s a different question but since you didn’t ask that question I am not going to try to answer it.