Unlimited access >

Quercetin for respiratory issues

I recently put my horse on Smartbreathe for a seasonal cough he seems to develop this time of year. Other years I tried other cough products which did nothing for him but so far this one seems to be working. I noticed the main difference in ingredients is Quercetin. So, I did some research on this ingredient and find that many feel it is very effective in relieving respiratory inflammation/irritation.

I started looking for other products which contain this ingredient and did find several. I want to switch because the Smartbreathe contains curcumin which can cause GI upset (which my horse is prone to).

I just ordered an immune booster called U Balance from Uckele and it contains a slightly higher amount of the Quercetin than Smartbreathe has and does not have the curcumin so I am hoping it will be as effective but without the GI concern.

I just wanted to share this info with others since I know there are lots of horses who deal with COPD/Heaves and seasonal allergies.

I have my mare on the SmartBreathe as well, for her seasonal allergies, and it has improved her dramatically.

I started her on it after I started taking Quercetin for my absolutely awful seasonal allergies, with a side dish of severe asthma. I am, in general, not the type to fool around with homeopathic remedies, going right for the big guns. But all allergy medication makes me feel so dead to the world that it’s preferable to suffer with migraines and constant snot pouring out of my face than medicate!

Apparently I looked so bad one day that an old lady pulled me aside and told me about it. I took a risk on a 60-day supply for $10 on Amazon, and have been on it for a month now. The difference was noticeable in two weeks, but a month out, I feel amazing. My nose is clear more often than not, my asthma has improved, my eyes are no longer itchy, and best of all, the gross dark circles under my eyes have gone away.

So I was quite happy when it helped my horse, too!

[QUOTE=enterata;7606225]
I recently put my horse on Smartbreathe for a seasonal cough he seems to develop this time of year. Other years I tried other cough products which did nothing for him but so far this one seems to be working. I noticed the main difference in ingredients is Quercetin. So, I did some research on this ingredient and find that many feel it is very effective in relieving respiratory inflammation/irritation.

I started looking for other products which contain this ingredient and did find several. I want to switch because the Smartbreathe contains curcumin which can cause GI upset (which my horse is prone to).

I just ordered an immune booster called U Balance from Uckele and it contains a slightly higher amount of the Quercetin than Smartbreathe has and does not have the curcumin so I am hoping it will be as effective but without the GI concern.

I just wanted to share this info with others since I know there are lots of horses who deal with COPD/Heaves and seasonal allergies.[/QUOTE]

I bought bulk quercetin capsules from Puritan’s Pride and fed it to my mare when she was hivey. I gave her some ACV and garlic with it. It seemed to help.

Quercetin + bromelain works the best for me

I take the Quercetin for my arthritis. Managed to get off almost all of my prescription meds ( only use them for the worst flairups).

I have noticed that the Quercetin with Bromalain seems to help my allergies better than Quercetin alone. I still have to take a Benedryl occasionally, but the Q&B together really does help.

I was also going to mention that Quercetin is typically paired with Bromalain. However, humans need to be aware that Bromelain may raise your blood pressure. I used a supplement for several years that really helped my arthritis but around that time my blood pressure rose to the level where I had to take something to lower it. then I read about the HBP and Bromelain issue. Sure 'Nuff, as soon as I quit using the supplement my BP went down.

Bromalain is an ingredient in a few equine joint supplements. It is a good anti-inflamnatory.

chicamuxen

I think you’re confusing botanical remedies with homeopathic ones.
Although there is overlap (myany homeopathic remedies are plant-based), my guess is that you are not taking incredibly diluted doses of quercitin, but significant measurable amounts.

I was wondering if anyone has tried both SmartBreathe and Platinum Performance Skin and Allergy. They both have Quercetin, and I KNOW the platinum performance works, but would prefer to stick it in her smartpaks, just so I know/can monitor they are being fed and at the right amounts (its dang expensive!).

I couldn’t believe how fast it worked - mare started to cough Thursday night - was worse Friday when I took a lesson. Trainer gave me 5 doses, by the PM (2nd dose) the next day the cough was almost gone (she maybe coughed once) and the day after I didn’t notice a cough at all. Waiting on the shipment to come in, shes back to being utterly miserable and coughing again now that its run out.

My horse got heaves really badly once and since then is sensitive to various things that can trigger respiratory problems. Smartbreathe works super well for him. I tried taking him off of it at one point (stupid idea) and had none on hand. Of course he began coughing and breathing badly. While I was waiting for the order of Smartbreathe to arrive I first gave him Bromelain/Quercetin capsules that I picked up at the local health food store. He improved quickly and once I received the Smartbreathe he’s been on that every since. I do have him on a Smartpak 3/4 dose, 2xdaily.

PS Bromelain is excellent for arthritic horses also as it helps prevent joint inflammation which is what really contributes to arthritic changes.

chicamuxen