Question about best gait for fibromyalgia rider

I’ve had to switch trainers and horses. The new horse I’m using for lessons is a Quarter Pony, much easier to mount than the giant Quarter Horse I was riding previously. But his gait is quicker, bouncier. No pain during and after rides, but haven’t found my balance, yet. Should I be seeking a larger horse? Quarter horses are the only option where I am, so size is the only variable. Thank you for any suggestions!

I have fibro and currently have two horses - one is a 15.3 TB who is short strided and smooth, the other is a 16.1 TB with enormous strides and much more bounce. Taller does not always equal smoother, and I don’t find any one gait to be better (except walk).

I suggest you learn about conformation, and what makes a horse smooth - the slope of the shoulder, pastern length, ect. These will all help indicate a smooth horse.

I would also talk to your instructor and let them know you have fibro, and would prefer to ride a smooth horse. However, if you’re not having pain issues I would not worry about it. If you’re a beginner rider, the lack of balance is understandable and happens to everyone, regardless of whether they have fibro or not.

If you find trotting or canter is affecting your fibro, you could look into riding gaited horses.

Areally big bouncy (sitting) trot does me in. But posting on the same horse is not too much a problem. It’s just finding out for yourself what you can ride and what you cannot. And I tried out some gaited horses. Same thing–some were comfortable/easy on me and others not so much.

Thank you for the helpful replies!

[QUOTE=fibrorider;7476530]
Should I be seeking a larger horse? Quarter horses are the only option where I am, so size is the only variable. Thank you for any suggestions![/QUOTE]

Gaited horses are everywhere. Even some Arabs and Appaloosas are gaited. Most lesson horses are chosen for their disposition and high tolerance, not their smoothness.
I find very few walkers that are comfortable, but I am short. I loved the smooth trotting appy i had that could out trot any arab and I could simply sit her trot. :slight_smile: My fruit cake arab is almost as smooth. The Paso we have is short and always a smooth ride.

where are you that everything is a Quarter Horse??

You need a racking horse. You won’t move. You’ll giggle, but that’s about it.

Get a Paso Fino.

I’m in Laredo, TX. You wouldn’t believe how difficult it’s been to find places that give lessons despite the prevalence of horses. I’m going to a ranch about 40 mins drive outside of town. Two of the three places I’ve found are licensed for therapy riding. They only have Quarter Horses. The stable I went to previously had some TB’s too, but the owners are going through personal problems and suspended lessons. San Antonio is the next closest option, but about a 3 hour drive one way. No can do.