Unlimited access >

Question about cats laying on their backs

Hey all,

Remember back a few months ago when a video circulated of a little grey pony laying on his back with his feet in the air, and a lot of people commented that that’s how horses with ulcers lay to find relief.

Is there anything bad about a cat doing that? I have a cat who stretches out and lays like this:
http://payload172.cargocollective.com/1/11/366611/5753373/DSC_3060.JPG

Pretty much all the time, and now I’m slightly paranoid it could be a way to relieve crystal pain or something else and I’m just sitting there thinking it’s adorable.

Any insight? Just cute or could be a telltale sign?

My cats sleep like this all the time. Especially in front of the fire.

My kitties sleep like this too. I believe exposing the belly is a sign of trust.

Oh, also, it is just cute as well. My cats know this and give me the look like “yep, check me out. I’m the cutest thing you’ll ever see.”

My little cat lays like when he’s in bed with me so he can take up as much space as possible, lol!

My big fat orange male cat lays like that constantly. Bed, hard floor, window sill, anywhere. My itty bitty little female kitten has just started to do the same! I think they’re just happy and safe and cozy as can be!

mine sleep that way too - I think it’s the Ultimate Statement of Feline Comfort; with themselves, their people, and their environment. Maybe not ‘trust’, because I think cats are above such foolish concepts (see also: human vulnerability), but it’s their “Ain’t Nobody Gonna Trounce With Me” pose.

Excellent! Glad it’s just adorable overload rather and the only thing he’s trying to convey is contentedness :slight_smile:
Thanks all!

Our cat has a habit of laying on his back and tucking his paws under his chin, as if doing an impression of a tidy jumping horse. He has trained us that this pose is his “Come Rub My Belly” trick. He does it purely for attention, exposing his soft fuzzy underbelly. He’ll lay on the floor (juuust far enough to make you get up from wherever you’re sitting), rolled over, tuck his “knees” and give you the big soft kitty eyes while twitching his tail. It’s irresistible, and he knows it.

But, IT’S A TRAP!! You are allowed about 3 tummy rubs (picture the old Tootsie Pop owl…) and then he clamps onto your hand with claws and gentle teeth, bunny-kicking at your knuckles. Yep, that’s what cats do. And, silly humans, we fall for it every time. :winkgrin:

I’ve found the position in the picture to be ideal for temperature-regulating. Most often I see it in the summer, on a tile or wood floor. Kitty is getting as much surface area exposed to moving air as possible. In the winter mine are more apt to be snail shaped – unless of course they are under the covers, when, again, it might be temperature regulation. I know I’ve woken in the morning to EVERYONE (3 cats, a dog and I) exposing a limb outside the covers to cool off. No sheet tucking for this family!

I have been blessed (and I don’t know how or why) – all of my cats have been defective in that they were not factory equipped with the belly-rub limiting device. I can get my youngest going if I try really hard, but why would I? Every other kitty can be tummy-rubbed endlessly without ever switching over to claws, teeth and bunny-kicking. Hard to convince people of this though – “Go ahead… he won’t. Really. He won’t. Ever. OK fine, don’t believe me…”

Is there ANYTHING more irresistible than a fuzzy kitty belly?? I think not. I think it must be like crack or heroin…once you’re hooked, you’re hooked. There is simply no turning away from that belly.

Please tell me you guys have read this:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/kitty_pet

#4 is the irresistible underbelly

Laying belly-side up just means that all is right in the world and that they trust their people and fellow cats. All of mine lay like this, usually right in my path and I have to step over them.

My grandmother’s Siamese used to sleep this way; she looked a lot like a dead possum.

[QUOTE=MontysGal;8962754]
Please tell me you guys have read this:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/kitty_pet

#4 is the irresistible underbelly[/QUOTE]

I hadn’t seen this! Awesome.

When Miss Kitty’s sugar gets out of whack, she STOPS sleeping on her back.

She gets a bit sore when her insulin needs adjusting. One of the early signs.

[QUOTE=EventerAJ;8961946]
But, IT’S A TRAP!! You are allowed about 3 tummy rubs (picture the old Tootsie Pop owl…) and then he clamps onto your hand with claws and gentle teeth, bunny-kicking at your knuckles. Yep, that’s what cats do. And, silly humans, we fall for it every time. :winkgrin:[/QUOTE]

I’m glad I’m not the only one that has one set the trap, and I fall for it every damn time! She even has her “bitey face” on, and I still can’t resist rubbing the belly!

OP, I have 4 indoor only cats, and they all end up in that very position from time to time on a daily basis…even the one that is so very shy and only lives in my bedroom. I am not an expert, but I’ve had cats all my life, and this seems a normal behavior. As is the trap mentioned above. <sigh>

[QUOTE=JoZ;8961958]

I have been blessed (and I don’t know how or why) – all of my cats have been defective in that they were not factory equipped with the belly-rub limiting device. I can get my youngest going if I try really hard, but why would I? Every other kitty can be tummy-rubbed endlessly without ever switching over to claws, teeth and bunny-kicking. Hard to convince people of this though – “Go ahead… he won’t. Really. He won’t. Ever. OK fine, don’t believe me…”[/QUOTE]

Both of mine are the same - they LOVE belly rubs. Love them. Can’t get enough. Would never, ever, ever lash out (unless you actually caused them physical pain - even then i think they would just yelp and move away, LOL).

I can even grab them by the belly fat (that loose-ish pouch of fat towards the back of their belly) and jiggle it, give them zerbrrts with my face, anything… they love it… they stay limp and relaxed.

The only body part that elicits a mildly annoyed response from my female cat is her tail, and really, that’s only if you mess with it too much and won’t let up. My male cat? Anything goes. It’s all awesome to him. :lol: