Unlimited access >

Question: Connecting with a horse?

[QUOTE=furlong47;7413507]
She did say she sold her horse when she moved to Alaska, but now is moving back (so I assume that means back to the contiguous US).[/QUOTE]

Hmm. Maybe I read it wrong, but she wouldn’t have been riding race horses in Alaska, so I assumed moving back meant going back to Alaska. And buying a horse “from the lower 48” made me assume buying and then transporting up.

But I’ve been wrong before and it’s probably one of the least relevant details of the situation, really.

If you don’t like the horses you see that are at your skill level, take lessons and lease. Build your skill to the point where you can handle a horse who needs a more advanced rider. This isn’t a story book, it’s your life, it’s your body, and it’s a sport with risks. Your parents are still enabling you to have a horse, they just want one that’ll keep you safe.

If you think that all quiet, well trained/broke horses have no personality, then you’re the one that’s not taking the time to get to know and bond with them. Some of the best, most interesting and most athletic horses I’ve had were the ones who were a little reserved or even introverted. They take time to get to know, and if you have the patience and skill to bring it out, their true value really shines.

Get a well broke horse (leasing is a good idea for the short term, lets you try different types of horses and narrow down what you’re really looking for) and be safe. Even a well broke horse still has a LOT to teach you as an intermediate rider, and there are so many out there in need of a good home. Riding is dangerous enough as it is, there’s no need to try and make it even more hazardous because you think you need an unnecessarily difficult horse to “bond” with.

Probably wouldn’t hurt to sit down at a computer and write a fun fiction about a girl and her wild horse turned champion “Wildfire” (or whatever) and get your yahoos out on the keyboard.

Some of the best, most interesting and most athletic horses I’ve had were the ones who were a little reserved or even introverted. They take time to get to know, and if you have the patience and skill to bring it out, their true value really shines.

This.

Also remember that it takes time to really get to know a horse. The horse that I was the most bonded with was the horse I had in high school. He was very well broke, but because I spent 2-4 hours a day riding him, he and I were “tight as ticks”. It was just time.

[QUOTE=OneGrayPony;7414531]
This.

Also remember that it takes time to really get to know a horse. The horse that I was the most bonded with was the horse I had in high school. He was very well broke, but because I spent 2-4 hours a day riding him, he and I were “tight as ticks”. It was just time.[/QUOTE]

I, too, was once looking for that bond. I had had it with a horse I rode as a teenager, and no horse could compare to him (in my book). I had gotten myself another horse, but I didn’t have that ‘instant bond’. Instead we build a bond of years of working together, and one day I realized how much I enjoyed working with this horse, how good we were together. It didn’t come overnight, but it was worth the wait.

Troll? One and done with their tail between their legs? Drumming up fodder for a book?

[QUOTE=GoneAway;7413816]
Some of the best, most interesting and most athletic horses I’ve had were the ones who were a little reserved or even introverted[/QUOTE]

Very true! Also, be careful, OP when browsing the sale ads for “personable” horses. Often “personality plus” “in your pocket personality” really describes the obnoxious, horse that can’t stand still, knocks you over, hauls you all around and is always all over your personal space.

We all have sweet, lovable horses with their own personality, some are quiet babysitters and some are hot messes. The “personality” is not really the selling point. You need a horse that is safe, sane, sound, and suitable to your riding preference. The bond will come along once you get the know the horse…but that will never happen if you’re in there hospital in a body cast because the horse dumped you for the 10th time.

You’ve gotten lots of good advice.

I’ve “bonded” with lots of horses and it is different with each one. Some (like my current OTTB) can be won over by nearly anyone with a few pats and kind words within just a few minutes while others take many hours of time spent quietly together before coming out of their shell.

You will never regret purchasing a safe horse. Because a safe horse who can be a willing partner in the activities you wish to participate in will become your “dream horse” faster than you would think possible. As an example of this, a friend of mine (a middle aged adult beginner) desperately wanted a big, solid bay warmbloody horse with big movement. She ended up with a short, stocky dun quarter horse who is about as steady, solid and non-reactive as they come. She tells me that every day she loves him more and that after owning him for several years she wouldn’t trade him for the fanciest horse in the world. Although it took a little time, she feels very bonded to him and as she watches friends of similar riding ability struggle with WAY too much/too young/too green of horses she is so happy that her guy is one she can try any activity with and know that while he won’t likely be the champion, he will carry her home safe and sound at the end of the day having tried his hardest.

In other words: the bond will come from spending time together. And if you get a horse who will be an eager participant in the activities you enjoy, you will spend more time together.

I wish the OP would come back and tell us what she thinks of our advice.

I’m guessing it’s a lot more grown up than she expected.

This is so true! When I see Personality Plus, A Big Dog, In Your Pocket… totally turns me off the ad. Not only do I not really like that type, but it’s true they’re usually obnoxious and rude.

My horse who has the least personality, is my absolute favorite. The two or three times a year her highness graces me with her chin on my shoulder mean the world to me. It’s okay that she’s too dignified for cuddles.

[QUOTE=VTMorgan06;7414870]
Very true! Also, be careful, OP when browsing the sale ads for “personable” horses. Often “personality plus” “in your pocket personality” really describes the obnoxious, horse that can’t stand still, knocks you over, hauls you all around and is always all over your personal space.

We all have sweet, lovable horses with their own personality, some are quiet babysitters and some are hot messes. The “personality” is not really the selling point. You need a horse that is safe, sane, sound, and suitable to your riding preference. The bond will come along once you get the know the horse…but that will never happen if you’re in there hospital in a body cast because the horse dumped you for the 10th time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=GoForAGallop;7412385]
People who overplay the “bond” that they need with their horses are the people who honestly usually end up with unsuitable horses, and get hurt by said unsuitable horses. Because they DON’T pick the suitable, well-broke horse, and instead pick the rangy, half-broke stallion that’s been sitting in a field for two years with a rearing problem because they have a “bond” with him.[/QUOTE]
Perhaps “bond” is the wrong term, but if I do own a horse again, I’d really like to have that click/sense of willingness. I’ve experienced it with several horses I’ve leased or taken lessons on, and I don’t assume that it’s a “bond” that’s exclusive to the two of us. If anything, they probably go even better for their owners and for people who are better riders than I am. It’s just that they are so responsive, that they almost feel like an extension of my body, doing anything I want with minimal cues. They’re very forgiving and saintly, even when I mess up, and I hardly ever have a bad or frustrating ride.

Even without that, horses are a lot of fun to ride, and the bomb-safe packer ones are wonderful (especially the older ones).