Unlimited access >

Question for puppy folks re: vaccines (and vet charges)

My vet did not count the vaccines given to my pup by the breeder. Sure was grateful when she contracted canine influenza and the vaccine manufacturer comped the majority of her multiple ICU stays.

1 Like

Just to clarify, it was the breederā€™s vet who did the early vaccines on the puppies.

($85 was JUST the exam; the vaccines were extra. The last ā€œlookoverā€ took the vet a minute?, he said ā€œshe looks good, what a funny puppy!ā€ She does have a lot of personality :laughing: I would love to pay $49 for a checkup!)

3 Likes

Unfortunately not all vets are so diligent. I had one in Colorado who really did do a full exam, including eyes, ears, mouth, flexed all the joints, had his hands all over. Really examined the animal. Loved that, had no problem paying for that.

Iā€™ve moved across the country twice since being his client, so plenty of opportunity to meet new vets, and not a single one performs such a thorough exam. Several donā€™t examine the animal AL ALL. No temp, no looking at the eyes, ears or mouth. Often the best I get is a weight. They still all certainly CHARGE an exam fee.

Iā€™d love to find a vet as thorough as the guy in CO. I loved that, and really felt like heā€™d catch anything amiss that I missed as an owner. Now I feel like thereā€™s no safety net at all.

4 Likes

I think 12 months of heart worm meds runs about $150, at least, depending on brand (Trifexis). So, $350 for all that isnā€™t so bad, actually.

1 Like

It was $500 totalā€¦

Oh, I meant if you subtract the heart worm. I donā€™t like the extra vaccines, though. And it should be a decent exam for $85.

You mentioned Fairfax? I used to live in Northern Virginia. The cost of living is crazy up there! I wonder how much of the increased cost is related to high mortgage/rent for the vet clinic? It is much cheaper down here, but rents are cheaper, too.

BTW, no puppy pictures? :cry:

2 Likes

My dad had a whippet when I was a kid. Awesome dog. Hardly ever heard him bark. He loved to run after deer that showed up in the open space behind the house. There was no calling him back. My dad thought it was funny. It used to make me anxious, but I knew Skippy would come right back after a quick sprint. He never injured a deer, thank goodness. One doe with a fawn decided not to run. She lowered her head and pawed. Skippy spun around in mid stride and came running back! She chased him for a few hundred feet. He drove under the car until she left with her baby. My dad also took him to the back roads and drove his motorcycle while Skippy ran alongside. That dog loved those sprints! That was much safer than chasing deer.

1 Like

UC Davis vaccine protocol; https://healthtopics.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/health-topics/feline/vaccination-guidelines-dogs-and-cats

1 Like

They do tend to subtly guilt you in to large bills.

3 Likes

I got lucky for routine stuff. We have a mobile vet that does a vaccine clinic at the feed store where I work once a month. Theyā€™re very reasonable for vaccines, microchips, heartworm tests etc. They donā€™t charge an exam fee, so you only pay for the actual services, but they do do a brief general exam when you go for vaccines. The vet and all the techs are super niceā€“more personable than some in my local vetā€™s office. Several feed stores in our area host similar clinics and theyā€™re a huge hit. I have a regular vet for non-routine stuff and can easily share records for the mobile vet via internet, so itā€™s super easy to keep everything up to date.
For routine stuff, if you have similar clinic close by, itā€™s a great option and saves a ton of money. I do a lot of my own vaccines (advantage of working in the feed store; Iā€™m the one handling them, so I know they go immediately from cold packaging to the fridge!) but I recently had rabies vaccine & heart worm test / prevention for the dog and dewormer for both cats for under $100. At my regular vet, Itā€™s at least $50 just to walk in the door.

2 Likes

As far as rabies, does your local Shelter/Humane Society do community rabies vax clinics? Havenā€™t looked into them in my area lately, but theyā€™re generally very inexpensive (or sometimes free).

I wonder if itā€™s more of a CYA move on the part of the vets who follow the ā€œkitchen sink protocolā€.

Thereā€™ve been threads here on COTH linking stories of bad reviews driving vets to quit the profession and not infrequently suicide. Say Fluffy gets a more conservative or moderate course of treatment and dies/loses an eye or limb or a litter of pups - most owners want answers and theyā€™re going to Dr. Google. Rightly or wrongly the owner gets it in their head that the vet SHOULD have administered thisthisandthat high priced medications all together right from the start and Fluffy would be just fine. They excoriate the vet on social media and in extreme cases harrass them in person or on the phone.

Itā€™s a fine line and a conundrum. Of course Iā€™m not discounting that some vets are going for the max out of the gate in order to keep the mortgage or rent on the facility up to date, plus the finance charges on the state-of-the-art anesthesia equipment. Never mind those student loans theyā€™re stuck with for decades. I personally donā€™t think thereā€™s a thing wrong with that but YMMV.

1 Like

Yes, Heartworm meds (the ones sheā€™s on, Heartguard) are about $100 from Chewy; Iā€™m sure the vet charged more (would have to go back and look at the itemized bill), and I asked for a script for HW from the vet for Teā€™a - submitted it to Chewy and itā€™s $50 (but will have to do it again in 6 months because they only wrote it for 6 monthsā€™ worth, anticipating growth/weight change.)

Yeah, it was a ā€œcursoryā€ exam - at best! I got a call from them asking screening questions (I confirmed that she was still completely healthy and that nothing had changed from 3 weeks prior), and the vet called me back about 3 minutes later saying that she was ā€œfineā€ - they had given her the shots and had done an ā€œexamā€ on her.

:expressionless:

Iā€™m fine with a quick lookover, but $85?? I think this is SOP for them, even when you donā€™t request it - and they sure do charge a LOT for a minute or two of looking a dog over!

NOVA is insane with the cost of, well, EVERYTHING. :angry: Itā€™s really depressing - and has gotten a LOT worse in the past 15 years or so, the area is almost completely saturated. My husband and I arenā€™t High Rollers and we have a very modest lifestyle; biggest expense is the horse. We never go anywhere, do anything, I donā€™t shop (for other than horse stuff), we are pretty DIY. I havenā€™t bought any clothes (he hasnā€™t either) in about 18 months - though I did treat myself to a new pair of breeches for my last birthday! We have older cars, a 29 year old Suburban as our tow vehicle, and we try not to spend on things other than the animals and food (and other necessities), but this makes us pretty unusual for this area. (I often feel like a fish out of water, but I was raised here; we moved from N.E. when I was 8 - my father was a physics professor at Brown but got offered a govt. job in the Defense Dept. that he couldnā€™t resist - they needed his skills. My parents were of modest means too - NO excessive spending, it was not their thing. They were from Milwaukee and had the Mid-west way of being, so between the bloated self-aggrandizing gasbags and the transience of the area, they never completely fit in.)

Got WAY off topic, LOL!

Thanks, @Equibrit - yes, that sounds perfectly reasonable and I can certainly cite it.

Hmmm, finding a less expensive place for the Rabies shot might be an option. Itā€™s not that I mind paying for the shot, but they may insist on doing another DHPP and of course will charge me $85 again. As long as records are kept, I can always go back to Pender if I need them.

@Mara, thatā€™s very interesting, and makes sense. UGH. I HATE people like this!, vets work very hard and care about the health of the animals, but they are not miracle workers and they donā€™t have crystal balls. Since I have talked to a lot of dog owners, I know (for a fact) that Pender is one of the highest-priced practices in the area - but there arenā€™t many that are NOT high priced! I started using them 18 years ago, largely because they had good reviews and were so close. Luckily for me I have had pretty healthy animals, but in an emergency - itā€™s good to know that they are MINUTES away; sometimes minutes count.

The reason I started this thread was to pick brains about vaccine protocols since theirs seemed excessive (check! :heavy_check_mark:), and find out whether othersā€™ vets charged such a pricey exam fee for every dog, every time they were brought in for routine stuff.

I will have to post from my phone in order to attach pics; I just got back from teaching my Saturday classes (so am fried) and need to go exercise, do P/T, stretch, and go out the barn to ride and clean things and prepare my horse for a CT tomorrow - her first ā€œjumpingā€ competition in 6 months. I tore three tendons attaching my hamstring to my pelvis back in November (I didnā€™t fall, I heard a ā€œpopā€ when in the air over a x-country cabin), and have been rehabbing and doing therapy and gradually strengthening it ever since with the eventual goal of getting back to jumping (have been back in the saddle since the beginning of March, but primarily doing dressage.)

Thanks to everyone for the input! :blush:

2 Likes

I know exactly what youā€™re talking about when you refer to the gasbags, lol! When I lived there, youā€™d hear somebody brag about their position in government. I even had one drunk dude hit on me at a dance club by saying he worked for the government. I laughed so hard. EVERYONE works for the government, lol! The quietest people are usually the spooky ones that do the really interesting stuff they canā€™t tell you about. :wink:

I have family that grew up in Arlington (my stepmotherā€™s family, but weā€™re all really close). It was a different town when she grew up there. I love hearing her stories.

1 Like

Itā€™s a perfectly reasonable option to get vaccines at your farm store/feed store or rabies from local ā€œeventsā€ organized by your extension service. Our local TSC uses Pet Vet; https://petvet.vippetcare.com/services-pricing/ (Pet wellness Centre in Manassas Store)
Not only do you save a lot but you also get to follow your chosen protocol.

2 Likes

I definitely understand your dilemma. It sounds like youā€™re conflicted between a high-cost practice thatā€™s close by, and therefore is there for an emergency (and will know your dog well, and have all the dogā€™s records on hand), versus going to a lower-cost clinic farther away.

When my favorite vet left my local practice for one 45 minutes away, I considered following him. I stayed because my dog was elderly and I didnā€™t want her to have a long car ride, but I did feel as if I was being pressured to do more expensive interventions by the new vet, and as a layperson, itā€™s hard to feel comfortable challenging advice.

Of course, with vaccines, like others have said, you can mix and match with lower cost clinics and reference other literature. But itā€™s important to have a vet you feel is putting the health of your dog first, versus recommending expensive interventions that might not be the best idea. And itā€™s annoying to have to Google everything a vet says, to see if what they are saying is truly best practices. My dog has since passed away, but I sometimes regretted not driving the extra distance to the other practice.

2 Likes

Thank you! Yes - exactly

:disappointed:

You have some very good points, definitely something to ponder! Thanks again for succinctly summing up the issue. (and sorry about the loss of your old friend :heart:)

1 Like

Yes, I do miss her, she was a wonderful little dog! And vets are a tough choice, regardless of the dogā€™s age! Really good vets are worth their weight in goldā€“I think most of us (within reason) can stomach paying a fair vet bill when itā€™s necessary, itā€™s when that doubt about trusting the vet is niggling at the mind that itā€™s hard.

1 Like

I use cheap vaccine clinics and go to a vet when I need them. I have all dogs vaccine histories on my phone.

1 Like

I really appreciate all the input, thank you again so much! I scheduled TĆ©a for a rabies shot on May 28, they are doing a shot clinic at the local CVS. :blush:

Iā€™m trying to figure out how to post pictures, I did it before so surely I can do it again? Not sure what button to hit to access the photos on my phone - everything little icon I touch sends me different places, but not to my photos. :confused:

1 Like