Unlimited access >

Question for Reed

That was it. The Exo. Like an exoskeleton. Which I believe was mentioned in Independence Day, with Will Smith.

Em

2 Likes

Never ask for my thoughts. :rofl:

3 Likes

Dammit Reed, you SAID you were a scientist!!!

6 Likes

Yes Reed is a scientist. He has probably gone over what little knowledge that has been reported. He is now waiting for a study by other scientists to come up with more knowledge, knowing it may take years.

Scientific studies take 1) money, and 2) a LOT of time to get all relevant data.

Reed, I am confident that when the results of this study are released you will evaluate it for us.

Real science takes TIME. Instant results are highly suspect.

Patience people, eventually we may get answers that are not propaganda or advertising copy as far as air vests go.

Thank you Reed for all your knowledge you share with us. I for one really appreciate it!

4 Likes

Itā€™s a joke, Jackie. Which sometimes gets lost in the written word :grinning:

Are you still using the collar, if so howā€™s it working?

1 Like

Yes, I am still using my Q30 collar.

It seems to help my postural hypotension, caused both by my MS and the medicine I use for it.

It feels rather tight when I first put it on, then my body forgets it is there. The last time I wore it I finally got up to around 4 hours, putting it on before we drove to the stable, throughout my lesson, and all the way back home. I seems to help with my problems with my brain in the car as well as when I walk on my own two feet and while I ride a horse.

When my lesson horse gets set up properly with his boots (some problems with that lately which I hopefully have fixed) my body will allow me to do around 4-6 strides of the sitting trot (this horse has a jackhammer sitting trot) instead of only one or two strides. Since my brain is compromised by my MS I listen to it when it objects to parts of my riding, like the sitting trot, and when I wear the collar my brain is so much happier about riding in general.

I am super thrilled to have found a solution so my body does not freak out if I do a sitting trot. Once we get everything else settled with my 28 year old lesson horse I will get back to trying to get my lesson horse to relax his back so I donā€™t feel like I am being bounced on a bar of concrete. At 30 minutes a week on his back this will probably take me at least 3 months. Once I get his back to relax I should be able to sit the trot longer on him.

I am very glad with my Q30 collar expanding my ability to retrain this horse with a spine of concrete. I forgot to put it on one day and my body was not happy with me, any idea of a sitting trot was immediately squashed with a vehement NO, NO, NO!!! I felt ā€œdizzierā€ in the saddle and less secure because of this.

I plan on using the Q30 collar the rest of my life or until a better solution to my particular problem gets invented and made for the general public.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s great news. I do love reading your posts

My lesson horseā€™s boot problem got resolvedā€“I gave the stable the set I had gotten him and went ahead and got my own set. I noticed last week that he refused to lengthen his walking stride, but I had no real problems with this today. His right knee is not quite right, and I think that the combination I came up withā€“the BOT Exercise Boots, the Fenwick Leg Wraps and the Fenwick Pastern Wraps actually help his knee some (as did shoeing him according to Xrays and the veterinarian). He just seems to be more comfortable with his boots on his front legs. It still takes a while to get him to move out, leg, leg, leg, and I accept any attempts he gives me to lengthen.

So I got to do a slow trot today. His back still felt like a bar of concrete that had acquired a tiny bit of give, but his back started ā€œswingingā€, which to me is the first step in developing a trot that is comfortable to sit. I was able to mostly hover, cautiously letting my seat bones sink down on the saddle and sitting very lightly for around 6 strides. Progress that I would not have been able to work with without my Q30 collar keeping my brain from sloshing around as much in my skull. Today it was my back that ended up hurting (see bar of concrete.)

And once again at first the collar felt TIGHT on my neck, then I forgot I had it on, though I was very grateful for it as I tried to sit his slow trot. It is hard for me to remember to keep all parts of my body in proper riding position when my brain bangs against my skull, and today my riding teacher was a little bit more happy with my position, which should get better when my right ankle heals up.

SOMEDAY it will all come together.

4 Likes

@RAyers I know this is a little older but Iā€™m vest shopping now from HJ land as my parents would like to buy me one for Christmas this year. Do you have a thread you can point me to or a research paper to understand the shape memory alloy for spine deformation? You seem to know a thing or two about a thing or two

1 Like

Dear lord! Are you working for my department head and SRS?! I writing a review paper in shape memory alloys for spine deformity/degeneration reconstruction at this moment. Devil woman!

14 Likes

Well get a move on and publish the damn thing already! Itā€™s about publication quantity not quality, everyone knows that!

8 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Makes the Q collar sound pretty sketchy. Wish it worked!

2 Likes

I canā€™t read the article (paywalled) ā€¦ any subscribers want to ā€œgiftā€ it? Iā€™d be interested to read it.

Iā€™ll admit, Iā€™m pretty skeptical about the whole thing. And Iā€™m no neurosurgeon/neurologist, but impeding blood outflow from the brain is not necessarily benign, if itā€™s in fact done effectively enough to provide much ā€œcushionā€ for the brain.

Go back on this thread and read the peer reviewed science. Also, to get FDA marketing approval, peer reviewed science must presented as well. Iā€™m less convinced a NY Times article has significant data and interpretation.

All science is subject to interpretation based on data available and the relative expertise. I think the expert who said ā€œthis may be one part of a larger puzzleā€ is right. Preventing concussion is a fine line where we still donā€™t even have a solid definition of what concussion is! Scientists still argue that aspect. To then dismiss the concept based on an imperfect definition is myopic in terms of solving the puzzle.

5 Likes
2 Likes