Unlimited access >

Question for Reed

You look like me when I ride in the winter, a really good helmet, protective vest and the Q30 collar.

Of course your riding is a lot more dangerous than my riding, though I did manage to fall off at the walk (irritated OTTB shrugged me off). None of my riding is like going over the big jumps, I am just trying to meet the challenges of my MS, no balance or coordination.

Keep on protecting yourself!

5 Likes

Reed, you look like a rehabilitated BorgšŸ¤£

7 Likes

My barnmate was really excited about this so she ordered one prior to Rebecca Farm. It is the correct size, but she found it too tight just wearing it in the house.

Is this normal - is it like when you first buy a XC vest and it feels so restrictive, but once youā€™re used to it you donā€™t notice?

I found that my Q30 collar was too small when I first tried it on late one afternoon after it came, like 1/2" beyond their little measuring tool that came with it. I had measured my neck six times and I was sort of upset since I felt like I was being strangled.

The next morning it fit perfectly, right in the middle of the green line and it did not feel too tight on my neck, snug but I did not feel like I was being strangled.

Between morning and late afternoon my neck seems to grow one inch bigger measured around my neck.

I am glad I ride early in the morning, otherwise Iā€™d have to buy the next size up.

@RAyers - not to derail but to derail. I seem to recall you previously posting about airvests. Iā€™m seeing a lot of folks in the H/J world now opting to wear airvests (rather than body protectors). I know advances have been made on some of these vests with the hybrid types but would appreciate your thoughts on the type vests that seem to be favored by H/J. Please feel free to PM so this thread can remain on topic, unless others are interested. Thanks

1 Like

Oh, I am interested in air vest too.

With my MS I am extremely heat sensitive. I have a regular body protector but I cannot wear it in high heat and humidity. The heat messes up my central nervous system so bad that it really is not safe for me to ride and it most certainly is not fair to the horse as I lose coordination and balance.

I need cooler protection. I am not jumping or galloping, just sedate walks and trots. I just would like something I could use with my ice vest OR is inherently cooler than my Tipperary vest. Since body heat gets the Tipperary vest to mold to my body somewhat I donā€™t think it would be good for me to freeze it solid in case I fell with it on.

1 Like

@Baybear @Jackie_Cochran

FYI, the Virginia tech helmet safety lab has the fun of doing an upcoming study on airvests.

Theyā€™re funding now and more info is to come. But just like the current helmet study, itā€™ll be completely independent.

Em

14 Likes

Any idea when the results of this study will be available? (general question, not expecting a day of the week or anything)

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

Theyā€™re in the fundraising phase. Not a single start date has been announced. Thereā€™s a lot to do before they test and I think this is in the very early phases.

Iā€™ll email Dr. Miller and ask.

Em

4 Likes

Oh boy, I am super excited about this one as well, even if itā€™s a bit off in the future.

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but isnā€™t a great deal of the research surrounding air vests that is used by the manufacturers to promote their products, funded by the manufacturers themselves?

2 Likes

Cool. I am not need here anymore. I shall go ride off into the distance.

Not so fast cowboyā€¦

They still want YOUR thoughtsā€¦ So skeedaddle back to this corral, swing a leg off and pop a cold one and weā€™ll gather round to hear your tales of them thar knowledge.

Em

12 Likes

Fuck. Sigh.

Technically my thoughts are the superlasticity of shape memory alloys is the most important property to consider for spine deformity correction. Whether it is a cage or rod. Shape memory is a lesser property. SE provides a continued bone strain possibly encouraging fusion across the disk spaces.

Airvests worn in the h/j world are the typical HitAir. Do they actually prevent injury? Who knows? There is no patient outcome or data collected as is done in eventing, both at the national and international levels. There is still data that suggests airvest are associated with higher risks of severe injury across all levels.

Spine biomechanics doesnā€™t read marketing materials.

24 Likes

Thanks Iā€™ll stick w/my traditional body protector and MIPS helmet for now

3 Likes

Yeah, the moment folks hear about shape memory alloys for spine deformity they pretty much make their decisions.

3 Likes

At the risk of sounding stupid, does this hark back to the vests that had the formed shapes?? I know there was one with the same name as something in an alien movie, and yes I know I sound more weird than usual.

Em

2 Likes

Well thanks Reed! Once Iā€™ve figured out what you wrote Iā€™ll have the answer to why my lumbar spine auto fused. Yay!

1 Like

If they ever come out with something like this, Iā€™ll be first in line. I think the original was the Exo or something like that.

As an unusually short person, Iā€™ll push the boundaries of what ā€œsemi custom fitā€ really means.

1 Like

@RAyers. Sorry šŸ«£

1 Like