Unlimited access >

Question on Breed Registries

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the correct place for this question, so please point me in the right direction if it isn’t!

I have a Oldenburg/Holsteiner yearling I bought last November. I have a Certificate of Registration from the American Holsteiner Horse Association for his dam, and a Certificate of Ownership from the Oldenburg Horse Breeders’ Society for his sire.

Now when I bought him I was told I could not register him because the stallion was not registered.

I do want to register him in a breed association, is there a real truth that I cannot do this because of the stallion, or would a registry such as the American Warmblood Society possibly accept him?

I have bought horses that have already been registered, but doing the registration myself is completely foreign to me.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If stallion wasn’t registered AND approved for breeding (and mare?? Was she approved for breeding anywhere?) then the foal will not be eligible for registration with most wb registries. But he’ll definitely be eligible for registration with American WB, because they will register anything.

If possible, I would rather have a COP from Holstein.

OP, what do you mean that you have a “Certificate of Ownership from the Oldenburg Horse Breeders’ Society for his sire”?

Do you own his sire? He must have been registered, if you have a CO. But if he wasn’t *approved for breeding*, then the best you could get from OHBS/GOV for your yearling is a Certificate of Pedigree. And that would require that his dam be in their mare books - meaning she was inspected by them and approved for breeding.

You may want to check with RPSI, ISR, AWR, and AWS. They all have somewhat looser rules for registration, so one of them may be an option. Or register him with Performance Horse Registry, which is affiliated with USEF.

The RPSI would NOT register this horse but would only issue a COP. Not sure about the ISR. Like someone else said the AWS will register anything.