Question on CWD Saddle Fit

Hi everyone, question on a used saddle I’ve come across. I’ve only seen CWDs that were custom and fitted to the horse. This is a very good condition used Mademoiselle with the seat and flap customs that normally fit me the best BUT this has the the standard fitting panels - PA 705, 205, 305 Pro Panel. It appears that it has the standard stock everything in terms of horse fit. Question is, how do these normally fit and what type shoulder/back/wither conformation would go best? I know this is a hard ask, but figured this would be the best place to start. Thanks!

In my experience, nothing with a wither or that requires significant clearance along spine. So for example, I’ve never seen a CWD fit a Thoroughbred (I’m sure there are some out there but I’ve never seeeeeeeen it with my own eyes)

3 Likes

Do you mean with stock panels or custom fitted? I’ve seen custom fit with the pommel cut back and build up with the panels for with/spine clearance on TBs. That said, they were more solidly built that had fairly good topline muscle and didn’t have a classic large TB wither

1 Like

CWD = crushed wither damage

4 Likes

I personally know them as Certified Wither Destroyers but I’m sure they have many other names

4 Likes

Yeah the TBs I’ve owned (and in this case seen be attempted to fit in a CWD saddle) all unfortunately had shark fits and mediocre top lines at time of fitting. But mostly it’s the shark fin that DQd them tbh

Thanks all, I ended up going with a Devoucoux Biarritz with more cutback and clearance at the pommel.

The Mademoiselle only has 1 tree size btw - it’s essentially carbon fiber (the tip of the tree points WILL break at some point, after working in a repair shop, this was the biggest issue with the CWDs).

Please do your horse a favor and get any other brand of saddle :slight_smile:

I ended up going with a Devoucoux, it fits well with a more prominent wither. Horse is a standard medium tree, just needed some more clearance along the wither and spine