Unlimited access >

Questions about Thorowgood Cob / Broadback saddles, T6 and T8

AN UPDATE / REVIEW OF THE SADDLE IN A POST BELOW

I’m considering them (the cob/broad back model) for my two table backed beasties.

1 for me (I fit comfortably in a Wintec 500 17" both seat and legs) and 1 for my husband (he fits comfortably in a Wintec 500 17.5" in both seat and legs).

I’m looking around on Ebay at used ones since it seems like people wait forever to get a new one here in the US.

I found a T8 for $450 in my husband’s size used (they say only used a few times) on Ebay. My biggest question is, do these run small? He is about 175 / 5’9".

I also found a new T6 in my size on Ebay for $446.93. When I first started considering the Thorowgoods about 6 months ago TG still had the T6 on their website. But like a week later it was gone. I’m assuming the T6 was replaced by the T8? Have any sizing features changed? Does it (the T6 Cob) use the ‘S’ gullet plate? I’m going to ask the seller, but some times people don’t have a clue what you are talking about, so I just thought I’d ask here as well. :wink:

I understand the T4 saddles have the synth suede on the seat and the knee roll and don’t look as much like real leather. I just wasn’t sure about the T6 and how it is different from the T8.

The Broadback/Cob T4 is $695.00 new at Dover.

Thank you!

I can answer some of your questions, I sell them. The saddles tend to feel big with the flatter seats. I am not sure if the T6 has the s-bar in it or not for that model.

It does take a while to get a new one in. They are becoming so popular that they are having problems keeping up with demand.

I doubt a 17.5 would be big enough for him. I have a T8 size 17.5. I’m 5’6", 135lbs and have a long femur. The saddle is just big enough for me. If you do buy it, at least do a 7 day trial period in case it’s too small.

I should add, I love my Thorowgood saddles. I have a T4, T8 GP and T8 jump. They fit horses very well and most riders find them to be well balanced. I actually have my T8GP for sale, but it’s not the cob version.

I feel the seats run small. The more open allows more room but my instinct would be to try an 18". You could try a 17.5 and see. They use the S bars as the Cob models all use the S bar and T8 has replaced the T6.

MY REVIEW OF THE TG BROAD BACK / COB AP SADDLE

I came back to chime in after getting a Thorowgood Cob/Broadback all purpose saddle.

I had a local saddler get it in for me, it took several weeks for it to arrive. I told her I normally rode in the 17".

I received the saddle and took it home. My first impressions was IT WAS VERY SMALL. The seat was small and the flap was tiny. The saddler put a gullet plate in based on my wither tracings before I picked it up (she never saw my horse). I feel like I could have gone done one size in the gullet plate because the saddle sat low. I also feel like the stirrup bars were placed further back than my Wintec 500 AP stirrup bars, and this made me perched with a lower leg too far back. Now, that might be desirable in a dressage saddle, but in an all purpose saddle I personally don’t want to fight the tack in regards to my lower leg being too far back for hacking out, doing some 2 point position work and low jumps in stirrups length that is productive to such lower level endeavors (ie not dressage length). The stirrup bar placement may have felt a bit better if the saddle didn’t sit so low up front / I had the next smaller size gullet plate in the saddle.

The seat is small, the flap is even smaller. After examining the saddle I realized it was actually a 17.5"!!! HOLY COW! Like, I did not have a full hands width behind my bum. So I talked with the saddler who said she could get it in an 18". I then contacted Thorowgood, and they confirmed my suspicion that the flap size is the same in the 17.5" and the 18".

It did, however seem to fit the horse better. I rode in it twice and the saddle rolling was significantly diminished. It wasn’t 100% gone but I could tell a difference. I didn’t have to try so hard to keep the saddle centered on the horse’s back.

Unforunately the saddle, for me, was not worth it. I took it back with great sadness :frowning: