Unlimited access >

Questions Regarding Moving a Horse From Illinois to New York

Hi, I’m very new to this site, but it seems like a great resource to speak with knowledgeable horse people. I am moving my Arabian from Illinois to probably Long Island, New York.

Does anyone have an idea of where to find reputable horse transport companies to contact? Should they be based in Illinois? Should I wait until show season picks up, so it’s possibly cheaper? What is a fair price range for moving a horse approx. 900 miles? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Well, you can put it out to bid, HERE:

http://www.movemyhorse.com/?gclid=CLO-tpCinb0CFWXl7AodPTcAhg

A lot of the East Coast haulers will be tied up running from NY to FL and back for the next 2 months, so you might get a better rate from someone going West to East. I’ve had good ships with Hubbard and Pony Express; there are many, many others.

Key things are: 2 drivers, video monitoring, rest & water stops. On that run you should not need to worry about unloading and hold-overs. Depending on your checkbook, options are usually single straight stall, stall-and-a-half, or loose box. Box stall is worth it for babies, oldies, and anyone who doesn’t tie super-well, but it’ll cost you!

Get your health papers together within 30 days of your projected departure, and make sure any vaccinations are carried out far enough in advance that your horse has full protection when he gets on the van–and off at the new boarding stable. Check with them first as LI may have different vaccination requirements than IL.

Safe trip! :slight_smile:

This is a very good company based in IL. I have shipped from the East Coast to MO and for a similar distance it was $700