Unlimited access >

Quick and Dirty Saddle Fit Guide?

Hey all, visiting from hunter land hoping to get pointed in the right direction. It’s become pretty clear my husband is more comfortable in a western saddle, so I’m wondering where to start. The horse is about 15.1 and “cob” shaped: rounded withers, short wide back, very well sprung barrel. Husband is tall and slender, rides in a 17.5 or 18” dressage saddle.

Since I already have an embarrassing collection of saddles, not looking to break the bank, maybe $500ish used saddle. If my budget isn’t realistic please tell me. Don’t need bling, ok with cosmetic dings.

Can anyone tell me:

Brands that will fit this profile of horse
General fit guide they recommend for western saddles

Anything else I should know :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!!

Quick and dirty isn’t really possible. There are too many “it depends.”
Google will direct you to a variety of web sites and YouTube videos that can help. A picture or video really is worth a thousand words here.

One thing that makes it more complicated is that every manufacturer is different. They often use different terminology for the same thing or the same terminology for different things. For example, one manufacturer might label their saddles as “regular” and “wide” while another might use “semi-quarter horse bars (SQHB)” and “full quarter horse bars (FQHB).” But one manufacturer’s “regular” may not be the same as another’s “regular.”

As far as price goes, I just bought a used western saddle. It is old but in fairly good shape. The brand is one that’s on the lower end of mid-range. I’m going to have to take it to the leather shop and get one D-ring re-attached and one piece of leather that has come completely loose re-riveted. I had to clean what appeared to be a layer of brown shoe polish off of it. It also has a very faint odor of pot-covered-up-by-incense. :smiley: I paid $850 for it. I’ve been looking for a while and I thought that was a pretty good price.

2 Likes

You will be trying a lot of saddles, but here is my two cents:

1. Young horses are bred to be taller/bigger/wider than they were a decade ago, so an older saddle, though good, might be narrower than you expect.

2. Most people get a saddle that is too wide because they mistake the gullet falling down on the withers (because it is too wide) as being “too tight.” It will feel tight! Because the bars aren’t supporting it and it is resting on the withers.

3. A too wide saddle will feel tight near the gullet and looser at the bottom of the skirt. It has fallen.

4. A too narrow saddle will feel loose near the gullet but the skirt will fit tight. It is perched.

5. Ungirthed, on a hand-walked horse, a too wide saddle may slide backwards. A narrow saddle might do opposite and bounce up the neck.

6. Saddle has to be behind shoulder blade and girth does NOT have to be perpendicular to ground.

7. Wider is better than narrower, but you don’t want a felt pad bigger than an inch.

Abetta synthetic saddles actually tend to fit a number of horses for casual riding and are close to your budget.

5 Likes

this is about as quick and dirty a fitting guide as it gets

If you know enough about fitting your English saddles, I would start putting all of them on the horse in question to find what fits. At least with that info, those who know that saddle, and Western saddles, can start giving some make/model suggestions.

Otherwise, it would be good to just get an independent saddle fitter out. If you’re anywhere in the NC and neighboring states, I can recommend someone.

1 Like

As the owner of 2 round barrel shaped horses I really suggest you get someone out to measure and do tracings so you can ( hopefully) take them to a saddle shop and get something that fits.

I have an Appaloosa mare who takes a Haflinger saddle and a QH who (to my surprise) goes in a Draft cross saddle. I had him measured and tracings done and that is what fits his shape best.

I tried the Haflinger saddle on him and while the width was good it did not fit his back shape ( bridging or rocking can’t remember which) but it fits my mare perfectly , so I just kept it and she got an upgrade. Hadn’t really planned on buying 2 saddles that year.

Your husband will take a 16 inch seat in Western , though. That its pretty easy.

2 Likes

Thanks all to the feedback, sorry for not replying. My baby got pretty sick with RSV (better now!)…didn’t want anyone to think I just disappeared.

Here’s a free short video that is compiled from the Nikkel’s Western Saddle Fit Basics video - their website has a ton of information too: Western Saddle Fit Essentials

It might also help to know a general region of where you are - that can influence the brands/types of saddles you might readily find or suggestions for where to look/fitters.

1 Like

Re: number 5, if the ungirthed saddle doesn’t shift at all when you’re hand walking the horse, does that mean it more or less fits?

Ah, no. It is just another thing to look at. For instance, it might not move, but you might have bridging.

There is a FB page “Truth about western saddle fitting” which is run by a bunch of good saddlemakers. It is a bit harsh, but there are comments you can learn from.

www.rodnikkel.com is a great reference with SO much information.

1 Like