Unlimited access >

Quick question about moisture content on baled hay

I’m looking at a hay analysis on alfalfa grown and baled in Indiana, now for sale in SC. Moisture content is 23%!
That seems really high to me and a quick google search indicates that is borderline, if not totally, too high.

I had a problem with some alfalfa a few years ago that must have been baled too damp. Within 3-4 days the hay was moldy, smelled like beer/yeast and very hot. I opened a couple of bales that were steaming. I returned it all. But I never got any analysis, so don’t have specific numbers to compare.

Any comment?

I had alfalfa bales in MN that tested at 20%–high enough that when I sent the test to FeedXL to add as a custom forage, they expressed concern.

I never had ANY problems with that hay. It was never moldy or damp or hot.

Did they send off the sample before baling or even immediately after baling? Because I would expect that type of moisture content then, especially east of the Mississippi.

1 Like

Where I live the humidity has already been 90% we have had rain every day. The temps are in the high 80*'s creeping towards 90*.

Here that hay would sprout powdery mildew in a couple days. if you are in a dry climate it may fair better.

I would stack it so it the bales have excellent air circulation and maybe even put a fan in with it.

Thanks simkie, that’s good to know.

I wondered this too. I’m dealing with a local person who just passed along the analysis from the grower. It’s a new product stream for me and I’m a geek about nutrition and like I said, I’ve had some wet alfalfa before. Just cautious…

I’m in SC. Hot and humid. That’s why I’m concerned. I don’t have room to store hay for curing. Needs to be dry when I get it! Thanks for your advice!

Could you cut about a cup of the hay into 1 inch pieces, microwave on high 30 second, then immediately transfer it to a zip lock bag? Leave it on the counter to cool.

If hay is that wet I would expect condensation to form inside the bag as the heated pieces of hay cool.

Can you buy or borrow a hay Moisture Meter?

Ideal moisture level for baling grass hay is 10-15+% if not using a preservative. Some types of preservatives can push that level to around 20%+. Alfalfa is tricky because the leaves dry down quick enough but the stalks don’t.The same with grass hay that has a fair amount of clover in it.

Depending on baling moisture content for about a week after baling the bales will “sweat” and when checked with a moisture prob it is normal for the moisture content to raise to the 20+% level for about a week and then start dropping. The inside will also be on the warm side of things, It can go higher if a preservative was used. 23+% in untreated hay IME during the sweat, dry down period is most likely going to end up “cakey” at best, moldy at worst. One has to check a bunch of bales for moisture content to get a reasonable handle on what the future hold.

If the hay have been out of the field for several weeks, months and still has a 23% moisture content I would be very suspect. I would want to open a bunch of them and check content, look. Not so sure I would even bother to look at it.

IME having made and stored a LOT of hay over the years in a very humid area. Once the bales settle to around 10-12±% moisture that’s were it stays regardless of ambient humidity levels. Contrary to popular belief well made, tightly baled hay does not act like a sponge sucking up moisture from the surround air. But the way hay is stored plays a big role in this.

A neighbor we had in MN baled a lot of hay and did custom baling as well. Since the majority was alfalfa they used a preservative spray on it so they could safely bale at a higher moisture percentage.

Find out if your supplier uses a preservative spay. Makes a difference.