Unlimited access >

Quiet young horse

I guess, but the owner isn’t there though, they are out of town. It is just me and the trainer. I guess you could say it’s because they can’t show him to other buyers that day. But he’s not on the market yet or advertised.

This horse is so green that I’m really uncomfortable and not sure about anything more than a 20 minute session though, so that makes it steeper! Also I have to be open to allowing other riders in the lesson. basically it might be a group lesson with people jumping. But they haven’t confirmed if I’ll be joining a group lesson or not. I know it’s not the end of the world it just rubs me the wrong way a bit lol.

I like him and I’m not saying I won’t go and shush up and pay. But I have another promising mount with more training to try on Saturday. So I’m wondering if I should wait until after Saturday.

And he’s $7500 for a in reality is a grade horse just started under saddle. Start adding $90 fees to see him, I’m going to have to make a decision quickly and I guess I better make sure I’m really into him

Just venting. Horse shopping is rough right now lol

5 Likes

Meh. If he’s a really promising grade horse, that’s a more than fair price. Horse shopping is super frustrating though!

I think he’s just a cute little sane guy. A 6 mover. Not a world beater but that’s fine for what I’m wanting.

But with his stage and training I definitely need to put another 90 days of professional training on him so I do have to take that into consideration.

1 Like

Ouch! That’s a bit steep… could you maybe negotiate a weekly partial lease where you could ride the horse for two days a week? Or would you take lessons on the horse with this trainer? That way it’s not really money down the drain if it doesn’t work out…?

The potential lease fee is a good idea and I’ve done that before. I really don’t mind paying fees to see a horse especially if I’m on the fence. after everything I’ve been through I’m not going to be the person that’s going to throw it on cash after one ride and I understand that. I actually offered and insisted to pay to try another horse I was looking at but had a few concerns. So I did pay a lesson fee but that was at my own insistence. And that was for a third ride. And I did end up passing on the horse. But I did feel better about it because I gave him something for their time.

And I would be getting a lesson with the trainer but she also said that it might be a group lesson with people on much more advanced horses that are going to be jumping. I obviously will not be jumping lol!

I need to think on it. I have another promising sounding and looking horse to see on Saturday so I’m wondering if I should just wait for a second ride on this other guy.

Go see the Saturday horse. This guy isn’t on the market yet, and it could help you understand what he is to try another nice horse with more training.

4 Likes

Agreed, that’s my plan. And then I’ll reevaluate.

4 Likes

Thought I’d update on the other horse I saw Saturday.
I enjoyed him a lot. He’s a bit similar in personality to the horse I started this thread about.

Horse #2 is that fine middle with the leg though. Respects it, goes when asked but far from hot. Not lazy either though. Which is honestly what I would say my ideal horse is like. He is quiet minded but also seems like a sensitive soul. Both horses just really seem to be the types that would not do well with a rough hand or extremely loud personality in a rider. But I verge on being a bit too quiet so that works for me usually.

He’s got more time under saddle. He’s also very green and has been trained in a western discipline (lightly though) so I would also want him in some professional training. One thing I liked is he is very responsive to the seat both an upward and downward transitions. One thing I didn’t like is he thinks you want to come to a stop for the downward transition from canter. I think he’s green enough that I hope with professional training we could teach him that there is more gears!

I do still like horse #1. I like his mind, neck conformation and trot. Sweet eye. a little bit worried about energy level under saddle. Owners might be a bit difficult to work with on a sale. Not sure though.

Horse #2 I like his walk and canter better which of course is a big thing for dressage. I love his huge ears and sweet eye. I like overall his energy level under saddle. Owner seems very honest and easy to work with for sale.

So I’m going to go see horse number two again and then I will possibly still go see horse number one again too. But right now I’m kind of digging horse number two.

10 Likes

It seems like there is a lot of pros for horse number 2. I would say he has been taught the stop from canter and is thinking he is doing what you want. You can’t blame him for that.

If you like Horse 2 there is no way I would be paying $90 to resee Horse 1. JMHO.

1 Like

SuzieQnutter, I think you misunderstood me. He absolutely has been taught to do that, it comes from his western discipline he’s lightly been started in,so he’d need to be trained a bit away from doing that. But I agree he’s a good boy and I think lots of potential there!!

I vote 2, for the walk and the canter, if everything else checks out ok. No need to resee number 1.

1 Like

If ride 2 goes good on the second horse, I think I’ll vet him and cross my fingers. If he doesn’t vet well, then I’ll go see horse #1 again.

3 Likes

I’d love to see a photo of each of them.

I don’t really know how to upload them easily on COTH, file always says too large. And I don’t have any proper conformation photos unfortunately.

1 Like

for future reference, what i’ll do is email the orig LARGE photo to myself and resize it to Medium. Then drop it from the email onto my desktop, then upload it onto here. But you can also resize a photo using “preview” or whatever your use to view by just adjusting the size down to 8x10 or 15x9 instead of 53x36 or something huge.

1 Like

You can resize a picture by going to edit and cropping it where applicable.

Horse #2 sounds great. I’m sure you will be able to train away the downward transition issue. Hope the second ride goes well and crossing my fingers for the vetting. You’re surely due some good luck by this point!

2 Likes

I think he can be taught to go differently, he still young and a sponge lol!!

Most of all he was fun. Fingers crossed!!

5 Likes

Okay I’m vetting horse #2! Fingers crossed.

10 Likes