Unlimited access >

Rain Rot has cleared and new hair is growing in

I have a really stupid question.

Despite having horses my whole life I’ve never had one with rain rot.

A few weeks ago I adopted a rescue who had arrived at the rescue covered in rain rot…literally from head to toe. By the time I got him to my place the rain rot was mostly clear, and now the hair is growing in…and its BLACK (or very dark brown). The spots where he didn’t have rain rot are light brown (he is a bay). I’m guessing he is just one of those bays who changes colors dramatically throughout the seasons and depending whether or not he is clipped. I guess the new hair just grew in darker and by the time he sheds out this spring he will be back to all one color…?

Or is he going to be two tone going forward?
http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/ivyhall1/media/two%20tone_zpsyie8g5z2.jpg.html

Wouldn’t this be his summer hair starting to grow in? Summer hair is often darker than winter hair, on many colours.

I’ve never seen scarring result in darker hair, only in white patches. And I haven’t seen any permanent changes in hair colour from rain rot, which is pretty common around here on pasture horses, since it rains nonstop :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Scribbler;8509542]
Wouldn’t this be his summer hair starting to grow in? Summer hair is often darker than winter hair, on many colours.

I’ve never seen scarring result in darker hair, only in white patches. And I haven’t seen any permanent changes in hair colour from rain rot, which is pretty common around here on pasture horses, since it rains nonstop :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks scribbler, I knew I was worrying over nothing. In the past I saw other horses with coats like this and they must have been going through the re-groth process as well.

I have a pony that has the same thing going on. She’s got Cushing’s, she’s 26, clipped, and she came to me in November covered in rain rot. I got it cleared up pretty quickly, but the new hair is much darker than the rest of her coat. She looks like some weird variant of leopard Appaloosa.

[QUOTE=stb;8509610]
I have a pony that has the same thing going on. She’s got Cushing’s, she’s 26, clipped, and she came to me in November covered in rain rot. I got it cleared up pretty quickly, but the new hair is much darker than the rest of her coat. She looks like some weird variant of leopard Appaloosa.[/QUOTE]

Ha, my friend was just joking that my guy looks like a grulla… thats when I got paranoid that he may always look like this!!!

For bays and browns the Winter coat is usually darker than the Summer coat. But as the Winter goes on, the sun bleaches things, so the fast-growing replacement coat is still a Winter coat coming in darker against the older bleached Winter coat.

He’ll be fine once things really shed and the new Summer coat comes in. Shedding has really only just started, as it’s only been since Dec 22 that the days started slowly getting longer.

My mare is a “brown” so in the winter she grows a black coat that is a mousy gray when clipped. It then slowly fades to this yellowish/brown color as the winter goes on. When she gets an injury that removes the hair at its root, it always grows back in black so she looks a little silly until her summer coat grows in.

Agree with the others, I’m sure he’ll look normal by spring! Just wanted to say that he’s just absolutely adorable! What a lucky guy he is, he looks to be in great shape, other than the spottiness. :wink:

I look after an 20 year old Arabian Mare who got rain rot last winter on her hip. She is a fleabitten grey. The hair that grew back in came in kind of a chestnut roan color (the same color as her flea bites), and has stayed darker than the rest of her through two shedding cycles, so I think it’s permanent with her. I can get pics later if anyone is interested.

[QUOTE=IvyHall;8509622]
Ha, my friend was just joking that my guy looks like a grulla… thats when I got paranoid that he may always look like this!!![/QUOTE]

No matter what his coat ends up looking like, he is adorable :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=RockinHorse;8510049]
No matter what his coat ends up looking like, he is adorable :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you, he is the sweetest guy (always has his ears forward). He was underweight when he arrived at the rescue but not horribly so. I swear he has put on 100lbs in the last month. Is that even possible?

Anyway, my goal is for him to be my next jumper but I was thinking of getting him out to some hunter breeding shows this spring for the young hunter under saddle classes. And for those he needs about 200 more pounds and a beautiful shiny coat :wink:

Equiderma takes care of this in about 2 days

[QUOTE=SaratogaTB;8511459]
Equiderma takes care of this in about 2 days[/QUOTE]

Equiderma takes care of the rain rot or equiderma will make him all one color? If the former, well thankfully the rain rot is already gone :slight_smile:

My four year old daughter came out to the barn today and she said “look, Hobbes has spots!!!”. She was super excited about them, lol.

Not to worry. By late spring his coat color will even out, Equiderma will not help with color but is a useful Rx.