Unlimited access >

Rambo No More

I never did use Rambos. I could never make myself shell out as much as they were asking for them. But know a lot of people who do use them and honestly, I haven’t seen that they have performed any better than my Weatherbeetas, or even my Schneiders or Big D blankets. I have many blankets that have performed as well as Rambos are reported to . . . waterproofing lasting five to ten years, no tears, wonderful fit etc. Not every blanket style fits every build of horse; Weatherbeetas are perfect on two of mine and other brands work better on the other two but I can say my blankets have performed every bit as well as Rambos are supposed to. . .at much less cost.

Our guys are out 24/7, and have been beating on their blankets non-stop in a very bored herd now for 14 weeks. The majority are wearing Rambos, Rhinos, and Amigos. 1 herd of 7 horses, the other 14.

Of those, I’ve had exactly ONE small rip in an Amigo!

OTOH, the ones wearing Weatherbeetas and Dover Riders have ripped them all to hell.

I think the Rhino is the most durable blanket or sheet now on the market, and will be buying more. For those on a budget, I bought 3 Amigo Mio’s on sale for $65.00 each, and they fit GREAT (not like a prom gown) and stay light and puffy and don’t crush down the hair. It was down to 5 below here for all of Jan. and Feb. and everybody was “just right” wearing the middleweights.

I DO re-waterproof all our barn’s blankets professionally when they’re cleaned annually.

I have a blanket destroyer, however his Smartpak turnout looks brand new 2 winters later (ok, well, it will once I get allll of the mud off :D). Getting less and less impressed with their customer service, but the turnout has held up, and I still have 8 years left on my warranty!