Unlimited access >

Rambo No More

I have just finished assessing blanket damage from this season and am dismayed at how poorly the newer Rambos are holding up. Geeze oh Pete, they cost an arm and a leg so I expect a lot. And there is no warranty on tears etc… I have two blankets that are less than two years old that have outer tears, torn trim, and will require $$ repairs.

Contrast these with my green with red trim originals that have never torn, ever. They were all the rage 20 years ago, but the fit is really not that great… though they never move… But they are over 20 years old and have never needed repair…

Rambo is not what it used to be. I am done.

I’ve never had a Rambo but bought a Mio t/o sheet. It was waterproof for the first few times used, then leaked. I liked the fit on my tiny horse but now have to replace it.

My sheet was only about $60. I’d be really p*ssed if I spent money for a Rambo and had to replace it after a short time.

[QUOTE=Winding Down;8055726]
I have just finished assessing blanket damage from this season and am dismayed at how poorly the newer Rambos are holding up. Geeze oh Pete, they cost an arm and a leg so I expect a lot. And there is no warranty on tears etc… I have two blankets that are less than two years old that have outer tears, torn trim, and will require $$ repairs.

Contrast these with my green with red trim originals that have never torn, ever. They were all the rage 20 years ago, but the fit is really not that great… though they never move… But they are over 20 years old and have never needed repair…

Rambo is not what it used to be. I am done.[/QUOTE]

Probably like many other brands that once they get really popular, the companies source out cheaper places to make and mass produce them. I ahve a couple, but this past year bought a bunch of the 1680D Weatherbeetas and am VERY happy with the first winter.

[QUOTE=Faiths CremelloWB;8055750]
Probably like many other brands that once they get really popular, the companies source out cheaper places to make and mass produce them. I ahve a couple, but this past year bought a bunch of the 1680D Weatherbeetas and am VERY happy with the first winter.[/QUOTE]

Rambo has many different styles of blankets and every year they bring out a new model that is somehow better than all the rest and one that you just MUST have. I think this, along with outsourcing and spending a ton on marketing, has led to an inferior product. And I have an older Weatherbeeta that has been used as a back up every season for the past five years or so. It is in perfect condition.

Was it made in China or Ireland? Huge difference in quality. I had a Rambo Wug that was made in China and leaked in no time. I called Smartpak (where I bought it on clearance) and they sent me a new one and I returned the leaking one - the new one was made in Ireland and is fine. I only buy the Rambo turnout sheets and buy the cheaper Weatherbeetas to wear as base layers - no problems with any of those (even the 10+ yr old ones) but I don’t rely on them to be waterproof after a few years - hence the Rambo sheets. I always always always buy at the end of the season or at Equine Affaire - can’t remember the last time I paid full price for any sheet or blanket and I have quite the collection.

[QUOTE=ryansgirl;8055874]
Was it made in China or Ireland? Huge difference in quality. I had a Rambo Wug that was made in China and leaked in no time. I called Smartpak (where I bought it on clearance) and they sent me a new one and I returned the leaking one - the new one was made in Ireland and is fine. I only buy the Rambo turnout sheets and buy the cheaper Weatherbeetas to wear as base layers - no problems with any of those (even the 10+ yr old ones) but I don’t rely on them to be waterproof after a few years - hence the Rambo sheets. I always always always buy at the end of the season or at Equine Affaire - can’t remember the last time I paid full price for any sheet or blanket and I have quite the collection.[/QUOTE]

This is a valid point. Your Rambo should be made in Ireland. Also, did you wash them properly? Using hot water to clean your blankets will compromise the integrity.

If your horse is putting rips in it, put your fingers in the hole and try to tear it more. If it’s not tearing (as it should not, due to the type and quality of nylon used), you have something sharp in your pasture you should be concerned about. The binding may tear but is not the most valuable part of the blanket.

Rambo makes a repair kit that is fairly inexpensive that should do the trick for a fraction of the price of a blanket repair person. http://www.doversaddlery.com/horseware-blanket-repair-kit/p/X1-24848/

[QUOTE=pony baloney;8055732]
I’ve never had a Rambo but bought a Mio t/o sheet. It was waterproof for the first few times used, then leaked. I liked the fit on my tiny horse but now have to replace it.

My sheet was only about $60. I’d be really p*ssed if I spent money for a Rambo and had to replace it after a short time.[/QUOTE]

Mios are advertised as “Water Resistant” not waterproof. And for $60 you should have known it wasn’t going to keep water out for very long. It’s like a windbreaker for a horse.

I only have a Rambo fleece dress sheet, which is very nice. The rest of my blankets are made in the US by Big D. They are well made and stay put. I don’t know how they would fit your horse(s), but they may be worth looking into. I have had mine for years and am very happy with them.

I’m still buying the Rambos, even though they are now made in China. I started buying them when they were made in Ireland. Well, I suspect some of them were made at the Rambo place up in the mill towns of North Carolina, since the outlet store was up there for years, right at the mill.

I’ve seen no decrease in durability. As others have said, you have to wash them in cold water. I do not use detergent, but baby shampoo. And of course I do not put them in the dryer. I buried Callie in hers and Cloudy’s Rambos, which were still waterproof after years of use. Cloudy still has his Rambo California turnout, with one small tear this year on the tail flap which I’ll need to patch. Both Cloudy and Hattie have multiple Chinese optimos, which have withstood their use in stalls and in pastures. If I found a better blanket, I’d buy it. But I expect to have to pay a lot of money to get blankets that withstand mud and manure and rolling and running around and rubbing, and all the many washings mine have been given. No waterproofing problems in years of use.

As for changing the colors or models, other blankets, such as the weatherbeeta takas that Cloudy and Callie used to have, used to change the color every year or so. Marketing ploys by all makers. I gave the takas away to friends as they did not stay put on active horses in pastures.

My gorgeous pricey Optimo has a ripped edging and a few small tears after less than two seasons and I can have NO sharp objects in my pastures. My horses are young and active and out 24/7 during the winter so my two years may be comparable to someone else’s four years. Nonetheless, those green w/red trim originals and the early purple wugs are not damaged. And I never did like the Wugs, and I probably have tried to damage them on purpose now and then :wink:

I swore off Rambo’s after my horse destroyed his less than 2 months after purchase. I’ve since stuck with the Amigo line. The fit is very similar and I just re-waterproof them after each winter.

Although, my Rambo destroyer horse got a cheap weatherbeeta from Tractor Supply that is now is on it’s second winter and he is HARD on his blankets!

I think that the simpler Rambos, the red and green ones, last better. All the bells and whistles and fancy ending seem to rip off easier than the standard original model. I am going to stick to the non-fancy versions.

I bought a WUG heavyweight about 5-6 years ago. My mare wore it maybe once or twice when I first purchased it; then it sat in storage until this year. She has worn it consistently for 2-3 months now. This is a princess type mare who practically pampers her blankets. She has already broke the tail strap, one of the belly straps, ripped off trim/piping and found it leaking through after only 10 hrs of consecutive rain. I never washed the thing. It was made in Ireland.

I will be doing what everyone else at the barn now does. Buys new cheap blankets every year. I’m not sure how weatherbeetas hold up these days, but I remember when having some 10+ years ago that were the best. Never had any problems with them. Might go back to them if they are still great.

As far as I know, the Optimo is the only one of the Rambo turnout line that is produced in China. The regular and wug turnout Rambos are still made in Ireland, at least the last time I checked. I have two wugs that I bought in 2014 that seem to be performing as well as my previous Rambos and have no plans to change brands at this point. Rhino and Amigo are made in China. The biggest change I have noticed in quality over the years with Rambo has been things like using less stitching in attaching surcingles or not finishing the binding as well – but the overall waterproofing seems to have performed as well as my older ones so far. I do take care in washing them infrequently as possible, with the Rambo blanket wash, etc. and repair any tears/damage immediately before it gets worse. My most frequent Rambo repair, however, is reattaching the front velcro that one of my horse’s likes to tear off with his mouth. Pretty minor.

FWIW, I have had no issues with my Amigos. I don’t recall where they were made, but neither the rainsheet or 100g turnout have had any issues, even after multiple seasons and washings. I always rewaterproof though, just out of habit.

I am not so sure where they are made, China vs Ireland, makes a difference. The fabric and basic construction should be consistent across factories.

I also have a green w/silver (leg arches) heavy weight and light weight. Trim is torn off both, and one has some small tears. I got those in December 2013 and they have been used for a total of six months. They will go out for repairs and cleaning this week.

I may just go with Amigos from now on or find a cheaper blanket that I can throw away if it gets torn. I was such a big fan of Rambo but I am tired of shelling out so much $$ for something that is not holding up.

[QUOTE=Winding Down;8056800]
I am not so sure where they are made, China vs Ireland, makes a difference. The fabric and basic construction should be consistent across factories.

I also have a green w/silver (leg arches) heavy weight and light weight. Trim is torn off both, and one has some small tears. I got those in December 2013 and they have been used for a total of six months. They will go out for repairs and cleaning this week.

I may just go with Amigos from now on or find a cheaper blanket that I can throw away if it gets torn. I was such a big fan of Rambo but I am tired of shelling out so much $$ for something that is not holding up.[/QUOTE]

So I want to point out that the type of nylon fabric used is not to completely stop rips from happening (because you can, the blanket will just either not be able to be waterproof or will not be able to be breathable, or both) the point of the blanket is to have reliable ripstop that will keep the rips from spreading until they can be repaired.

If you can put your fingers into your blanket rips and pull and make them worse, there is a problem with your blanket. With the Rambo you should not be able to do that. It WILL hold up because your horse won’t SHRED the blanket and minor rips are easily repaired.

I’m not sure why you are so concerned about the trim, you don’t buy a blanket for its trim durability.

If your horse is putting rips in the ballistic nylon of a Rambo, it will shred the polyester of an Amigo. But good luck with that plan.

I’m still having good luck with Rambos, including 1200D Amigos, but for eventual replacements I’ve been eyeballing SmartPak’s Ultimate Turnout Blanket. It has a 10-year warranty, which is pretty incredible, and seems to be well-reviewed. It is pricey but no worse than Rambos not bought on sale, I think.

Admittedly it was the first season of use for the blanket, but the mare spent this winter, more or less full time, mostly outside, in a Rambo Supreme Varilayer HW I got at the Dover basement for about 40% of retail. She’s kind of drowning in it, but it has worn perfectly. Ditto the Supreme MW that has been used about the same amount, or more. That said, I did have to toss her 7 year old Supreme LW last fall as the waterproofing just went and re-waterproofing made no difference, and it was getting tatty anyway, and had had two straps and a clip replaced. That one was her designated “outer layer” for nearly 5 years at our old barn, which meant she was wearing it most of the time when turned out, from October to April.

Interesting, I have 4 Wugs and all blanket destroyers, the Wugs are still in one piece - one is 15 years old, another 6, and then the other two are new and don’t have a spot on them. My Rhino Med weights all are in once piece too, and they are 2 years old. Weatherbeetas are just so heavy - I can’t bear to put them on my guys…they weigh them down quite a bit. My Amigo sheets on the other hand never survive a full season.

Happy horseware client here…