Unlimited access >

Ranch Riding for Dummies?

Anyone know of a good FB group or other resource for the particulars of ranch riding? Miss Mare kind if seems to be getting sour to dressage riding so I am looking to try and give her brain more of a workout with ranch riding and obstacles. Seeing as I no longer own a Western style saddle getting one will be step one. I know workman like saddle with no silver is the very basic of a ranch saddle but what else wouldn’t get the hairy eyeball at a little local show? Something that would be serviceable for contesting at same dinky local level would be ideal too. I think the baby brain needs more engagement and plain old arena riding just isn’t cutting it.

Why not go to a couple shows with this class?
See what is being worn/ridden in, see what judges are pinning.
Talk to people competing & ask these questions.
No interwebz site is going to compare to From the Horse’s Mouth info :wink:

2 Likes

There is a great group on FB that is good for answering questions you may have. There are competitors at all levels and those who are judges are forth coming with advice and what they are looking for.

I sent you a PM

I show in ranch classes at our local show, and I’m still learning things. I ride with a roping rein (single looped rein) and just learned, for example, that at most ranch shows that would not be allowed; you need to use split reins or a Rommel rein.

You are allowed to ride any age horse in a snaffle or bosal (two-handed), or you can ride in a curb.

You are correct: workman-like tack is preferred. You are not going to get funny looks for a little silver (i.e. conchos), but you should avoid lots of silver. Saddle pads range from plain and solid to some patterns and color; again, they should not be blingy.

Likewise, your outfit should not be glitzy. I ride in jeans (jeans reserved for showing) and a long-sleeve, button-up, collared shirt. You can get a Port Authority work shirt in one of several colors on Amazon for under $25. I like neutrals and earth tones, but I’ve seen riders with pink and purple shirts (plain color, no added bling). You should wear a belt. You can wear chaps or chinks, but it is not required. Most people have cowboy boots, but I wear lace-up ropers (western paddock boots). You can wear either a western hat or a helmet. I am usually the only one in the ring with a helmet.

17 Likes

Ranch Horse Forum on FB is very active and helpful. Ask any question you have there and you’re sure to get knowledgeable answers quickly.

1 Like

Very pretty horse @cmdrcltr :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you! Lucy is a little quirky—we’ve struggled but are finally solidifying a partnership. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Step one is figure out which association/rule book you’ll be showing under so you can read it regarding what tack and equipment is legal. For example, ARHA and most breed organizations do NOT allow aged horses to show in snaffle or bosals. Most will not allow roping reins, but some local associations might.

Also, Ranch Riding may be a rail class or a pattern class, depending on the organization. I second the recommendation to go watch a show or two of the organization you plan on participating with, to get a better idea of what the local standard is.

ETA: Ranch shows are the best! The most welcoming, laid back group of people ever. You may just get hooked and abandon your other disciplines for good. :grin:

4 Likes