Unlimited access >

Ranchy pads

I’m ISO a Ranchy saddle pad for showing. I’m looking for a “starter” priced pad for occasional ranch showing. Preferably with purple/teal! I thought it would be easier but then I’m seeing a lot of “that’s not ranch” comments regarding pattern and I am now very confused. I’m not looking at anything with sequins!

I’m also looking at a black collared shirt and wild rag?

https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Royal_Highness_Ladies_Button_Shirt_w_Zipper_Black/descpage-RHHZBK.html?color=BK

I know two women who actually do work on ranches. One is co-owner of a huge cattle ranch in Wyo, the other is a professional mule skinner (arranges and takes pack mules with your stuff into remote locations for hunting/hiking/camping). Based on what the actual ranch women wear when I see them, the long sleeved black shirt and wild rag are spot on --both women I know wear well-worn chinks always.

However, the colorful pad, if you are going for authentic, is a slight miss. Both of them use brown everything on their horses and mules. No color, no bling.

Having said that and having had my kiddos show ranch riding classes, we kept everything in the show ring clean-clean-clean —not so much my two working ranch friends --for them, good condition is good enough --I always want to oil my buddy’s stuff or give it a good cleaning! And in fairness while their horses and mules are well trained, well-bred and beautiful --combing manes and tails before riding isn’t a high priority!

2 Likes

I’m looking for what’s acceptable in ranch riding for shows regarding pattern and colors.

You will see a lot of muted, browns, oranges, and turquoises mixed, but they aren’t required.
We have pads of ALL colors, and have shown Nationally and locally in hot pink, blues, and greens.
Someone on EM’s page just posted a picture of them showing in their purple/blue/black pad in the ranch.

I know you want Starter, but I can’t recommend EM Show Pads or Saguaro Pads enough.

There is a FB groups you can catch a good deal in sometimes:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/912314953220528

I’m on that page already and this is the comment that confused me! I figured I’d better ask what is ranch.

Screenshot_20240228_103112_Facebook|230x500

Google says rail show pads are thicker with less complex patterns and wear leathers. Oooffff…

1 Like

Some people will have opinions but ultimately there is a rule book and nothing in the rulebook says you can’t wear a purple & turquoise pad nor does it have saddle pad specifics. Just own it and have fun with it.

“Ranch” is subjective. Are you on the Add More Leg FB group? I bet if you post in there and ask people what their colorful Ranch Riding & Rail pads look like, you’ll get a ton of comments. We’ve shown in pads that have leather and pads that don’t. Again - definitely not a requirement nor is it a penalty marker.

Karen Johnson generally cleans up in the Ranch Riding at the world shows… all while wearing her purple pad :wink:

Bud Lyon also wears all sorts of colors and complex patters in his pads. I promise you can do whatever makes your heart happy, as long as you don’t have excessive silver :rofl:

4 Likes

Thanks so much! I’m working on a ranchy side saddle or western outfit and this really helps.

1 Like

Definitely join the Add More Leg group if you haven’t!
People post outfit inspo/idea ISOs all the time.
You can get a ton of ideas!

Good luck!

1 Like

Try googling Congress 2023 Working Ranch videos youtube, there’s lots of videos. It’s been a few months, but I seem to remember there being some colour in the ring.

The explanation was that show pads are thicker and softer with a looser weave than ranch pads but danged if I could tell the difference so I’m glad I confirmed that it doesn’t matter!

I was at Congress last year shopping and that’s when I fell in love with the outfits :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, then you have a pretty good idea of what is acceptable colour wise! :smiley: As for the weave, I believe a tighter weave will be more durable, but from a distance who could really tell?

@Belmont I love that purple pad you posted! My favorite colour!

1 Like

KD Designs and Baad Blankets are both more Ranch oriented and have cute options! Color is definitely doable with the right outfit and pattern.

I like the Yucca Patterns too, but they’re a little pricier. There are some used sales pages on Facebook.

At the ARHA level, here’s some galleries from last year. https://www.caitrussellphoto.com/2023-events/

There are some very specific weaves/patterns that scream “western pleasure” and not “ranch”, although you’ll definitely see some of those patterns in ranch riding, especially in more muted colors. Ranch show blankets tend to have much more variation in pattern and are specifically not the sort of vertical zig-zaggy patterns used in western pleasure.

It’s hard to explain, but if you look at Erin Rhea’s saddle blankets (https://www.saddleblanketsbyerinrhea.com/) or Saguaro (https://saguaroshowpads.com/) you’ll see that they have a “Show Line” which is what western pleasure and to some extent reiners generally use, and a “Ranch Line” which are different patterns from the show line.

The other thing is ranch blankets tend to be a little smaller in size than pleasure blankets so there’s not quite as much blanket showing around the saddle. Pleasure blankets can be up to 42" wide while ranch are usually more like 38".

Other options for ranch saddle blanket makers are Show N Glo, KD Saddle Blankets, and Yucca Flats (not a budget option).

Also just to clarify, all of those are a blanket that would go over an existing pad - some of them do offer options with a felt liner built in but the standard is just the blanket that goes over a pad.

4 Likes

Great summary!

You can show in whatever color you want. The only thing you need to avoid is silver on your tack, and sparkle on your clothes. Color is fair game. I’ve done more neutral and I’ve done more colorful. The judges really don’t seem to care about what you are wearing… it’s about how you perform.

If you are looking for the best deal, I would tell you to get a blanket you can put over your regular riding pad. I do that sometimes too, which is cheaper than buying a whole new pad.

2 Likes

I really like the selection of ranch pads offered by Show N Glo. Best of all, they’ll do custom sizes without an upcharge! My little Arabians are dwarfed by the standard sized ranch show pads.

Also on Arabians so what size pad do you suggest?

I just ordered one in 32"x34". My everyday pad is a 5 Star All-Around, which measures 30"x30", so I went a hair larger than that.

This is my smallest mare in a standard sized show pad:

Granted, she’s an itty bitty thing (13.2 if I measure strategically…), but this just looks ridiculous. Plus, I have a 27" inseam, and this pad (which measures 36"x38") comes down almost to my ankle!

For comparison, this is my everyday pad on her (same saddle):