Unlimited access >

Random question

Why do the Reining horses have a trot-up when they jog in competition and the Dressage horses have a jog when they trot for acceptance into the games?

I assume this is tongue in cheek, but there is no trot or jog in reining. It’s all loping and galloping.

Best question yet!

2 Likes

Fer gosh sake. They are Western riding horses. They jog when they arent loping or walking.

2 Likes

??? Just in case you are serious, jog is a completely different gait than walk or lope.

I’ll see your question and raise you: why do reining horses trot-up and the endurance horses trot-out?

10 Likes

While I get the pun…as just for information, the reining patterns don’t have any trot/jog. And I believe most reining riders long trot/regular trot their reining horses for conditioning rather than do a Western Pleasure jog.

1 Like

In case this is a serious question, only Americans call the first horse inspection “the jog”. The Brits call it “the trot up”. What other countries call it, I have no idea. It’s a lot easier to see a horse unsoundness at the trot. It’s a good bit kinder on horse and rider to eliminate them for unsoundness before the competition starts than during it.

1 Like

Just in case this is a serious questions, when the reining and dressage horses are in competition they are being judged on their performance, not their soundness. Soundness needs to be established prior to competing so no horses are shown at less than peak ability.

2 Likes

There is one pattern where reining horses jog in. But a majority of all patterns require lope, gallop, halt, and back. And reiners aren’t trained western pleasure so they will have a three beat lope and for the most part are long trotted in warm ups.

This link is from Jan Pike on Facebook of the Aussie team’s warm up. You can see the long trotting:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/149136071900446/permalink/1180246478789395/

Sorry for those of you without Facebook I don’t know how to share the album otherwise.

it is the second part of the vet inspection that is done, first part done in stall. the specifics for the surface the trot is done on is set by the FEI it is a soundness exam. Where and when it originated, not sure. SInce 3Day horses have a second trot after the cross country I have to imagine, too , that there needs to be a baseline comparison

OK, I finally see the humor. Not enough caffeine - shouldn’t respond early in the day…

5 Likes

Wishful thinking on the part of the riders :wink: (just kidding!)

I used to trail ride my QH with a friend who rides a WB. I kept apologizing for having to … umm … trot to catch up with her walking, and she’d always say “yes, but if I had to trot all day out finding cows, I’d rather be on yours than mine!”

2 Likes

I was trying to be funny. I thought it was amusing that the soundness exam for English horses was called the jog and for Western horses the trot. TR got it.

13 Likes

This is like the parkway/driveway question, LOL

4 Likes

Of course this is hilarious, but actually as I think about it, I bet it’s … not intentional, but in fact a totally natural and expectable reaction.

If I say I am going to “trot” my dressage horse, it’s ambiguous as to what I mean. When I say “jog” it clearly means a not-ridden trot in hand for soundness, because we don’t use jog for any ridden action.

I bet the same happened in reining - saying we have to jog the horses is ambiguous, but a trot-up is not.

So we all grabbed a word that is similar-but-not!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I found the observation very funny!

On the non-rhetorical note, my mind went somewhere in the same direction as poltroon’s. A western horse trotting in hand can often go faster than it’s jog with a rider… and should, for telling soundness (though of course a GOOD western horse should also be able to move out IMO). A dressage horse/jumper/eventer will be in a smaller trot than the one shown when ridden for the most part, so is doing more of a jog compared to its under saddle gaits.

Though I think simply differentiating from under saddle without having to say “on a hard surface in hand” is another good reason for it.

1 Like

Woooooshhhhhhh that was the sound of this going right over my head :lol::lol::lol::winkgrin:

4 Likes

Same reason as Canada Post delivers the mail, and The Royal Mail brings the post…contrariness

4 Likes

@dotneko I got your humor and I admit it I was so confused by some of the answers (which I now realize were people who did not get the humor and thought it was a question that required an answer).

I like @poltroon 's answer though. That does make sense.

3 Likes