Unlimited access >

Re-roofing and some repair of a garden shed

Hi,

Looking for advice. We have an older 10x12 garden shed (gambrel type roof and slim double doors on the front face.) It needs repair to the roof, re-shingle job, some t-111 replacement on the sides and some door repair. This shed is very handy and we’d like to refurbish it (stop the roof leaks!)

I know it is mostly impossible to explain exactly all the work that needs to be done but the above it the gist of the matter. I was quoted materials today coming in at $1871. Labor and roof removal not included. Yikes. I know, I know - wood is expnsive (but coming down in price right? and not AS expensive as it was a few months ago).

The shed and all the things we store in it won’t winter well unless these repairs are made. I am not handy and I have no handy people available just now in my own family. Is this price …high? or…good? I wonder what labor will be - its a local handy man with carpenter skills with his own dump truck. Waiting on that estimate. Thanks all.

Can you get a couple of estimates to see if they are in a similar price range as this one?

roofing normally is price by “the square” which is 100 square feet. I would also be shocked at material quote of $1871,

Ask him if he left a decimal out? and meant $187.10

My House would require 44 squares which cost $4,200 for a very high quality shingle

Consider also that sheet metal could go right over the old shingles at a very little cost on such a small structure and last longer than a wooden shed would.

A roofer may have some left over from another job of a color you like.
Maybe try that for the roof repairs?

1 Like

You could buy the materials for a brand new 10x12 shed for less than that:

You could ask this builder for an itemized list of the materials he’s claiming are needed but ultimately I’d just go get some more quotes.
That said, you probably don’t have a ton of choices because it’s really hard to find contractors who’d be interested in small jobs like this. If you want to keep trying to work with this guy, show him this materials list for the above brand new shed, and say something like, “ok, here’s a comparable size shed. I’m struggling to understand how the materials needed for repair is coming in so much higher than the cost of materials for an entire new build. Can you walk me through your quote?”

Don’t let the urgency of winter coming push you into a bad decision on contractors, you can tarp the roof of this shed for the winter to keep the contents dry.

Also agree with @Bluey 's idea of simply tacking a metal roof over the existing, as long as the structure below is sufficient for the extra weight.

1 Like

I would question the cost, and get two more bids.

As far as materials go, I would consider that if the roof is leaking, it probably needs new sheathing. OSB and plywood are currently pricey- I just re-did a roof that is on my barn, and the roofer charged $65 a sheet to remove, supply and install each sheet. For the market, that wasn’t bad.

Also, it is never a bad idea to put ice and snow on top of the sheathing, rather than just tar paper, especially in my area, at least for the first three feet or so. On a small gambrel roof, I might do the whole thing, just to max out the life of the roof.

I am getting ready to re-do the North side of a shed on my place, and I will be doing it myself, with someone on the ground to hand me what I need. It isn’t far off of the ground (which would be a deal breaker). However, I am having to look at my materials cost just as you are. Remember, you aren’t just buying shingles, and if they are buying the materials for you, they have a right too make a profit.

2 Likes

Doesn’t sound too far out of line. I just had my bedroom reshingled. It is a 12x20 addition and it cost $4,400 with labor. 5 hour job.

Keep looking.

I’d get another bid or two if possible. It depends a lot on where you are though, so a price from your area is not comparable to Midwest, Florida, or New England, or California, etc.
It also depends an awful lot on what you mean by ‘repair’ to the roof and doors? That could be anything from a broken bit of trim to a whole new door, from new shingles to a couple new rafters, new sheathing, and new shingles?
That price may not be out of line, but it never hurts to ask for other bids, and to see an Itemized materials list and source location. With an itemized list you can always see what the numbers are in comparison if you were buying it: in that case it can easily go either higher or lower depending on the materials in question and the store policies.