Unlimited access >

re-stretching tall boots?

I fully broke in a pair of tall boots ~3 years ago and they fit perfectly. I took a break from riding for a year and I’m ready to get back into it, but I can no longer zip the boots all the way up my calves. The boots are still in very good condition so I can’t justify buying a new pair, and they have a zipper so I can’t get them stretched out either. Any tips on stretching them out? Is there any chance they shrunk after not being used for a year? Thanks

They may have, especially if they weren’t worn at all and/or didn’t have boot trees in. It’s just as likely that, after a year of not riding, your leg musculature has changed. Spray the inside of the boots (lining side) with a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water until very moist. Try zipping with a string through the zipper pull while lying on your back, leg straight up at a 90-degree angle to the floor (or have someone else zipper them for you while you’re standing). Wear until dry. Then wear some more. Then wash a horse in the wash rack with them on. Repeat ad nauseum. The moisture and warmth of your body should help them stretch and mold to your leg.

2 Likes

This, plus do it first thing in the morning. Your legs will swell some during the day. If that doesn’t work, have a cobbler insert an elastic gusset on the inside.

1 Like

You actually can get them professionally stretched a little bit.
I had a pair of boot that I bought while training for a half marathon, I still run, but not as far so put on about 5lbs. I was able to zip them up still but they would unzip as I rode. At that point the boots were 4 years old and were for schooling so I took them in to have the zippers replaced. She said the zippers were fine, stretched them a teeny bit (took about a week), and they were perfect after.

Our local cobbler shop can stretch boots - I’m sure it’s common enough you’d be able to find a person local to you that can as well. I’ve also seen riders take their boots to get an elastic panel sewn into the back.