Really Scared of Navicular Syndrome

Hi all. I’m hoping someone can give me some answers or pointers here. I’ll need to give some background.

The horse in question in an Arab mix. She’s a rescue horse who I don’t know much about. She may have some Morgan in her as well. She’s probably between 6 and 8 years old, but again, I don’t know for sure.

I got her about a year and a half ago, and she has never been lame. That is, until October. I saw her limping one day. The next day, she was grade 4 lame, putting no weight on her right front hoof at all. I had an emergency farrier call because I couldn’t get a vet out, and he found an abscess. Sometime that same night, the abscess broke out through the coronary band at the top of her heel. I did ten days of antibiotics and she recovered very quickly. She was fine until about two weeks ago.

Two weeks ago, she started to limp on that same leg again. I cleaned her hoof well and inspected it, but found nothing. I put her back on antibiotics again to be safe. The next morning, she was fine. No lameness at all. It never progressed to the point of non-weight bearing like the first one had. Again, she was fine after that. That is until yesterday morning.

Yesterday morning, she is grade 4 lame on the same foot again, putting almost no weight on that foot. This literally came on overnight. There was no sign at all of lameness the night before. Again, I cleaned and inspected her hooves. The bottom of the right hoof does have some pretty nasty cracks on the sole near the heel, but no obvious sign of abscess. Again, I had the farrier out. He says it’s another abscess, although he can’t find one. He suspects it’s too deep to be found yet. He also said her hooves were really dry and instructed me to put hoof dressing on them. He did some trimming near the back of her foot, but didn’t seem to think x-rays were necessary since likely, all the x-ray would find is an abscess. There is almost no swelling and no warmth, but I had given her 2 grams of bute before the farrier came, so that might have taken down the swelling.

This morning, she’s still grade 4 lame, but when she does walk, she points very badly. As in she puts her toe down first and tries to keep most of the weight off her heel. She laid down once and had a very hard time getting back up. The cracked part of her sole is obviously very sore because if I clean her hoof and touch it with the hoof pick, she jerks her foot away from me.

Of course, the fact that she is pointing on her toe has me scared to death at this point that I might be dealing with navicular syndrome instead of an abscess. But I’ve never dealt with any kind of navicular problem before, so I don’t know if this is characteristic of what that would look like or not. Would she go from walking, trotting, and even galloping fine one night, to being grade 4 lame the next day?

The first time she went lame back in September, it was definitely an abscess since I saw where it broke out at the coronary band on the back of her heel. Again. she’d never had any lameness problems until then. But ever since then, it’s been a recurring issue every 3 weeks or so it seems like. But this is the first time I’ve ever seen her pointing, so it’s the first time I’ve ever been worried about navicular syndrome.

Her feet are not in the best shape because she was living in some very bad conditions before I got her. I’ve been working with the farrier, using hoof supplements, and so on to try to get her feet to grow out and become more healthy. But of course, that takes a lot of time and is a hurry up and wait kind of thing.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Does this sound like it could be navicular? Or is it more likely just a recurring abscess issue given it comes on overnight like this? Could it just be that her sole is so dry and cracked that it’s very painful to walk on? It might also be worth mentioning that the latest bout of severe lameness came on about 3 days after I finished a 10 day course of antibiotics for the last time she started to become lame. So I suppose it’s also possible there was still some infection in there, and I didn’t have her on antibiotics long enough.

But I’m kind of freaking out here that I’m dealing with a serious problem and we just haven’t figured out what it is yet. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vet. X-rays. That’s the only way to answer questions about navicular changes/abnormalities.

3 Likes

I know. But it’s a little easier said than done. Believe it or not, there are no vets around here who have a portable x-ray machine. And she’s very hard to load into a trailer because again, rescue horse, serious history of neglect, little exposure to people, etc. She’s getting better with that, but it’s another one of those things that takes time.

She also has major trust issues. She won’t let the vet anywhere near her when he comes out. In fact, the vet gave up trying to vaccinate her and finally just set up an arrangement with me where I give the vaccines when he’s not here. She trusts me completely, but she’s one of those horses where you have to earn her trust. And a lot of vets and farriers are on a time schedule and don’t have the time or patience to work with a horse like that. She hated the first farrier who came out and wouldn’t let him touch her hooves. I’ve finally managed to find a farrier who has the patience to work with a rescue horse, and she will let him work on her hooves. So I am very grateful for that.

So yeah, I’d love to just load her in a trailer, take her to the vet tomorrow, and get x-rays. But it’s not an option right now. So I’m hoping someone can just give me some “experience based” info or something about whether what I’m seeing is characteristic of navicular problems.

If the animal is in pain, your options are see a vet to determine the best course of treatment, or euthanize. It’s cruel to play guessing games when an animal is in pain and you can’t seek medical care.

10 Likes

I have never had a horse be alternately grade 4 lame and sound from navicular, and it wouldn’t be my first guess. That in no way means this isn’t serious and doesn’t need to be x-rayed to figure out what is going on, it sounds like with the cracks and abscesses that there’s a serious imbalance/ infection. Typically it’s really hard to treat hoof injuries with oral antibiotics. It’s unfortunate if you’ve had for a year and a half and she still won’t load easily or let the vet near her, but you may just need to tranquilize her very heavily and deal with things.

13 Likes

No offense, but if you can’t be helpful, please keep your comments to yourself.

Again, there’s a history here. She will go lame for two or three days, and she will be perfectly fine the next day after to the point where she is literally galloping around the pasture. I’m certainly NOT going to euthanize a horse where “abscess in the heel area” is the most likely explanation and also the farrier’s expert opinion. I’m asking if anyone here has any experience with navicular problems because I’m assuming the worst based on nothing other than than the fact that she is pointing.

Also, keep in mind that modern consensus is that radiographs are not diagnostic of navicular disease anyway. A lot of horses who have never been lame and have no problems at all show navicular remodeling on radiographs.

1 Like

Dude, my helpful advice to the person who is really scared and freaking out, to quote your OP, is to find a way for the horse you actively rescued to see a vet. Don’t make excuses, find a way.

My further advice is please never again get a horse you cannot provide adequate care for. If you can’t help an animal, keep your good intentions to yourself.

15 Likes

If she were mine I’d sedate her and get her to the vet somehow. Navicular disease would not be at the top of my list of diagnoses.

My personal experience says that mystery abscess type things can end very badly if not taken seriously.

9 Likes

Thanks for your response. Both the farrier and I agree that there is no evidence that she has ever foundered or anything like that. And given the history of grade 4 lameness occurring overnight, followed by very quick recovery to completely normal within 2 or 3 days, it’s clear I’m not dealing with a break or anything like that.

Farrier should be able to deal with serious imbalance. As far as infection, I can give IM injections to her. I have penicillin here, but am hesitant to give it just cause I’ve never used it on her before, and I know that it’s the antibiotic that is most likely to cause serious reactions. And I only have one dose of epinehrine available and can’t get anymore right now because of a nationwide ongoing shortage.

As far as tranquilizing her, that IS an option assuming the vet will give me a tranq that I can give IM (I don’t think I could find a vein to give IV), and the tranq would last long enough for me to load her and get her to the vet.

I am, at least glad to hear that it doesn’t sound like navicular disease, though. Since most of the stuff I’ve read about it is not very encouraging. Basically, the consensus seems to be that it’s like terminal cancer. It can sometimes be controlled, or slowed down, but it will invariably get worse and there’s no cure.

I do plan to find someway to get a vet to look at her. Again, I’m mostly just hoping to calm my nerves here with some kind of “experience based” assurance that it’s probably not as bad as I think it is.

I fully intend to. Again, if I have to tranq her, I will do so. But that requires that the vet give me a horse tranq I can give her while he is not here. And it has to be something I can give IM.

My point here was not to say I don’t want to take her to the vet. I will do so as soon as I can find a way to do so. But I am NOT going to euthanize a horse who has a history of going lame for a day or two, and then being totally fine the next day. Surely would agree, that would be just as cruel.

My point is that it’s Sunday, I just noticed the pointing problem this morning, and I need a little piece of mind in the way that a hypochondriac needs piece of mind when they find a bump on their skin and automatically assume it must be cancer, when in reality, it’s probably not.

I would think abcessing again, over navicular. Same hoof as before, probably a reinfection, germs not killed of before. Abcessing comes on fast (couple days of sore, then dead lame), while navicular comes on gradually (unless you got a bad trim or shoeing) over months of iffy then sore, finally lame.

I bet you giving her antibiotics slowed down the abcessing build up, pressure causing pain. But the med did NOT kill it, so she is lame now. You really DO NOT want to give antibiotics hit and miss, not use up the entire prescription, because it just makes the germs tougher to kill. Giving antibiotic BEFORE she opens a drainage hole is no help to her. Giving antibiotic AFTER the hole opens will aid in preventing infection, kills germs if she gets all the meds prescribed, for the time length Vet tell you to give them. You keep giving them even if she is not limping now.

I would be doing Epsom salt hoof soaking AM & PM, using water as hot as she will allow. Soak more often in a day if you can, hoping it speeds up the abcess to open and drain.

I am guessing here, but I really don’t think as an older horse with Arab and Morgan breeding she is much risk for navicular. Both breeds are not known for having navicular in any breeding lines. Morgan’s have pretty good feet but you have to prevent obesity that can go into laminitus problems. Arabs also are usually good footed, though there is some dish footed, clubby footed lines known for those problems. But they come with the foal, do not develop with age, so she either has it or won’t get it.

Get out your bucket of hot water and Epsom salt, start soaking her foot, get things moving instead of worrying. Take her in for x-rays on a good day, weather is cooperating, she is not in pain, so it is easier on both of you. Then you can look at her navicular bone and relax. Do look for any foreign object in hoof that might be causing the abcessing. Weird how they can hide things from you. Good luck and let us know how things end up!

7 Likes

I am taking it seriously, and I will find a way to get her to the vet.

The main thing I’m looking for here is a little piece of mind to get me through the weekend. That my worst fear right now is probably unfounded and it’s not a disease that tends to be “controllable but will invariably get worse with time.”

It is true that some horses, particularly full warmbloods, can have scary rads but remain sound all their lives. Radiographs can be very useful for an abscess diagnosis. You are obviously quite devoted to this horse and are doing your best at going it alone, but I disagree with using antibiotics for an abscess, esp. w/o a DX. Some vets feel that this even prolongs the abscess. And cold ground, which we have this time of year, can temporarily relieve pain.

Not many vets around here have portable x-ray equipment either; even the vets use an individual who travels to barns and tracks. Maybe your vet would know of such a service. I feel it is important to get rads and rule out a fracture, if nothing else. Good luck with your mare.

4 Likes

@goodhors

Thanks for the advice. I did give her the full course of antibiotics. The vet prescribed almost 5,000 mg of sulframethoxazole for ten days, and I gave her the entire course. Again, it was only about 3 days after the course ended that she went lame again. So I’m hoping it’s just a reinfection and am trying to calm my worse fears.

Yes, I am very devoted to her. She’s a rescue horse I started working with on a volunteer basis, but I completely fell in love with her and ended up adopting her myself. Most people who tried to work with her said she had no future and was unadoptable because she didn’t trust anyone, wouldn’t let anyone pick up her hooves, etc. But for some reason, she and I just bonded with each other and she decided to trust me. It took me a long time to find a farrier who she will let work on her feet, and I still haven’t found a vet she will let anywhere near her. But she will let me give routine vaccinations and such and she barely even flinches. As long as the vet isn’t there. If the vet is there watching? She won’t let me do it. Hence why he just gives them to me and tells me to do it when he is not there.

The vet did prescribe the antiibiotics. As far as antibiotics prolonging the abscess, I’ve never heard of that. Are you sure you aren’t thinking of anti-inflammatories? Things like bute can definitely prolong the abscess because they reduce swelling which stops the abscess from traveling. They are also immunosupressants, which means they can slow down the infection healing process.

That said, sometimes you have to give them anyway. It’s a balance between faster healing and making the horse as comfortable as possible while they do heal.

What do the operators of the rescue say? Someone ought to have decent horse experience and be able to assuage your fear.

this sounds absolutely the opposite of navicular, and I have cared for several with it over the years as a retirement facility. Sounds like an abscess. Call your farrier, they are usually my first stop before vet on an abscess. For one, it costs 1/4 the price and if abscess they should be able to isolate the area and possibly relieve the pressure.

i don’t use ABX for an abscess myself, and I don’t soak in water because I don’t believe in softening the hoof because I think it tends to lead to reabscessing. I do clean, wrap and epsom salt poultice the direct area if isolated.

3 Likes

Lots of horses point.

My old man with an arthritic knee points. My stone bruised mare pointed. My gelding with an impalement injury and much later with an unrelated abscess pointed. I’ve had a horse with a back injury point. I have a friend with a navicular pony, and oddly enough, she does not point.

Just means the foot/limb hurts.

Not all abscesses are straight forward. Many need continues care, especially if there is some underlying issue causing the problem. In that case, you have to find/fix the cause.

My vote isn’t on navicular.

Some x-rays would probably give you a lot of peace of mind if you can manage to get her there.

Btw, there are SO MUCH worse things than navicular, which is usually manageable for many many years.

6 Likes

Abscesses can make them so lame you’d swear they have a broken leg. Add a sore, cracked heel and that could easily explain the pointing.

How is your weather this year? We have had a lot of wet weather alternating with hard dry ground, which is kind of the perfect storm for abscesses and other hoof issues.

I also agree with the previous poster that navicular is less common in Arabs and Arab crosses than some other breeds.

Lucky for me, I don’t have much experience with navicular but my impression is they are more steadily NQR than periodically dead lame in one foot.

We always soak them in warm water and Epsom salts, and/or pack the hoof with the green Epsom salt paste and cover it with cotton, and a boot of vetrap and duct tape, and let them walk around outside. IME the abscess usually busts and drains and they will go sound again. I would continue with the hoof-building supplement. It may just take time for her to grow a healthy foot.

FWIW, I’ve dealt with a lot of abscesses over the last 30 years and they have all cleared up without bute or antibiotics.

2 Likes

My apologies, OP about missing your vet’s diagnosis. I tend to speed read the long posts.

Yes, I usually give some NSAIDs to get them moving to pop the sucker. I wrap as others have posted, and use a square from an old feed sack to retain the heat and keep it watertight. I have never given antibiotics for an abscess.

So glad has her own person looking out for her.