reccomendations for Knee Replacement Surgeon in Northern Virginia

The time has come. I’ve been putting this off for over a decade. So looking for who is the best equestrian friendly orthopedic surgeon for a knee replacement. I willing to go as far south as Charlottesvile VA and as far north as Baltimore MD. My current ortho doesn’t want me to ride with a knee replacement. That’s a non starter. So shopping around Let me know who you have had good sucess with.

No recommendations since I’m on the left coast, but why does your current ortho not want you to ride after a KR? Mine could care less. He advised against marathon running, basketball, soccer, and singles tennis. But not riding. He wanted me doing whatever sports and activities made me happy and healthy. I was told that if I fell, my bones would break before the implant would. I agree. Find someone else.

I’ve heard great things about Nirschl, but can’t speak from experience (yet). Trying to get an appointment for my knee next week! I have been to a couple different docs at Ortho Virginia, and have super disappointed with them. The last one I saw totally brushed aside my pain and tried to drain my knee (which didn’t have fluid in it to drain), then injected it. He just seemed to… not care. So I don’t feel the need to go back there!

Too bad you are in the east. The surgeon that did my hip replacement…his wife is a very accomplished dressage rider. He knows that stuff and would never tell you no (for a straight forward replacement). That is why I chose him for my hip. He said no problem with riding and is very aware what muscles are involved in each type of riding (saddle type that is) and how to rehab them.

My friend has had 3 knee replacements…One had to be redone after a traffic accident. She still rides although she always mounts AND dismounts via a mounting block but otherwise has had no issues related to her knees.

susan

Let me know how your appt goes. Thanks

I can’t speak to knee replacement, but Dr Brantley Vitek (at Ortho Virginia) did surgery on my knee for a torn meniscus last year, and I was very pleased.

I do not use/need an orthopedist very often, but I have been using him (and his father before him) since the 1990s (including surgery for a broken wrist, separated shoulder, and other more minor problems).

I know nothing about the other doctors at Ortho Virginia.

I am not in your area but I would recommend looking into orthopedists at universities. They are sometimes a little more forward thinking and up to date on current research. This is just a generalization as there are many wonderful MDs in private practices across the country but you may have the most luck at a medical school. Find a surgeon who is very sports minded and see what they say. Also be sure to follow up with good PT as that can really make or break your new knee (pun intended).

I saw Dr Guidi at Nirschl Orthopedics, and he was FANTASTIC. Way better than anywhere else. He listened to me, manipulated and palpated the heck out of my knee… actually found spots I didn’t know hurt! He did x-rays, and said that though my knee cap does track toward the outside, which is causing most of my pain, he thinks there may be an issue with the meniscus as well. Wants an MRI, physical therapy, and gave me a brace to help my knee cap track straighter. I had a completely different vibe with him and the whole practice - like they actually cared about me. I really can’t recommend them enough!

I used Dr Fleeter in Reston for my meniscus and totally repaired a friends knee that was broken in a million pieces. My only complaint about his was unrealistic recovery expectations. he said I’d be fine in a month to do everything, but it 7 mos later I am walking somewhat normally and able to work out and ride. It was longer than I thought!

I haven’t seen a knee doc (thank God!) at Mercy in Baltimore, but the ankle & shoulder guys are pretty sharp. The crew in the out patient surgery center is fantastic.