Unlimited access >

Recent posting from national organization RE: bits and saddle fit . . .thoughts?

Recently the governing board of the sport I participate in during the summer (will remain unnamed) posted a reminder or guideline reminding participants that “harsh bits and poor saddle fit” are grounds for DQ.

There are a couple of things I don’t like about this. There are a few riders, some on the board, who are rabid that ALL bits are harsh and we should ALL ride in halters or hackamores or bitless bridles. However, these very same folks ride in some of the most massive hackamores I’ve ever seen with ridged nosebands and really long shanks (think 9"). And the exotic saddles are another problem, I think. Many riders order from Middle East or Europe some pretty specialized and flashy saddles --but if one turns them over, the trees are wood and not padded or even smooth in some cases. Although riders do use pads, I’ve seen some extremely “gappy” saddles with pressure on the shoulders and loin and no contact along the spine.

But, who decides? Unless the competition organizer hires a saddle fitting expert, then “poor fitting saddles” is going to be tough to enforce. And what is a “harsh bit?” To some vocal members, any bit is harsh. I use a simple D ring Snaffle. I think it is less harsh than a hackamore of any kind (no nose pressure or poll pressure). Who decides? I just spent an entire day driving to the saddle fitter and having her check out all my saddles and seeing how they fit on my new horse. Two of my three saddles are perfect for him, sadly, my favorite Passoa is not (ever) going to fit his back. At least I didn’t have to buy him a new saddle! Until I had the saddles checked by a professional (30+ years experience) I THOUGHT my Passoa was a perfect fit for my new horse!

Back to my question: Who decides at a competition what is a “poor saddle fit” or a “harsh bit?”

1 Like

if so then find another organization to ride under as there is little to zero chance of a change of mindset … really they need your money more than you need them

5 Likes

I’ll hazard that this is a very small sport with maybe one organization- I’m thinking mounted archery or horseball or the like. OP may not have a choice if they want to compete, and may have to make decisions about that at some point.

In the meantime, I dislike rules that are all subjective - look at dressage and their bit rule struggles! You can’t just say “no harsh bits”, you have to DEFINE a harsh bit. Same with saddles - what IS an ill-fitting saddle?

I 100% agree that in a perfect world, horses would all be in side pulls or mild snaffles with perfectly fitted saddles. But the reality is even bit and saddle FITTERS can’t always agree. Better for an organization to define what isn’t allowed (shanks over a certain length, certain mouthpieces, things like studded nose bands, etc), and hopefully to not get so into the weeds it gets complicated for everyone.

7 Likes

Clear definitions are definitely needed for a case like this.

8 Likes

For a niche sport, your Governing Body is treading on some pretty thin ice.
Are members going to be involved in deciding what bits are allowable & what constitutes acceptable saddle fit?
If not, I’d be looking for an alternative discipline or forget about approved competitions.
Like the regional, non-rated circuits for H/J, Dressage, Eventing, & for Drivers: CDE, are there competitions you can enjoy without worrying about an Omnibus Rule interfering with your enjoyment?
Safety - for both horses & riders - should not be ignored, but members should be heard & have a hand in final decisions.
Stepping off my soapbox…