Unlimited access >

Recomendations on used saddle for a high withered OTTB and tall rider?

I currently have a 17.5’’ long flap HDR saddle that I have had for 10 years. It was my first saddle and i’ve really enjoyed it because it fits most horses including my high withered Arab-TB cross and most of the OTTB’s i’ve tried it on.

However, it’s days are numbered and I’m looking to upgrade to a better quality saddle and one that puts me in a better position. Im am 5’7 and have been told by many saddle reps that I am hard to fit because I have a long femur. I think I probably need a saddle with a more forward flap but Im nervous about that interfering with my current OTTB’s broad shoulders.

I have a saddle fitter fit him recently and loved the Black Country Richochet. She told me to look for that saddle in a M tree, 18" version. However, i’m having ZERO luck finding a used version of that and it’s quite a bit out of my price range anyways.

My budget is around $1200 give or take a few hundred for the right saddle. Must be a wool flocked or mostly wool flocked saddle.

I’ve looked at the Toulouse Platinum Marielle at the local tack store as well as the Toulouse Premia. I like the look of the Premia better but i’m not at all familiar with the Toulouse brand. Is it a good brand for the price?

Any recommendations and opinions on saddle brands that might fit my bill and are within my budget would be greatly appreciated!!

For the record I just noticed i spelled recommendations wrong. Cant figure out how to change the title :frowning:

Look at Stubbens. They fit withery horses well, and there are lots of used options in your price range. I’m also tall and while I liked the Roxanne best, I ended up with a Siegfried CS Extra. Also check out Ainsleys and Prestige–Prestiges will sometimes show up in your budget, and Ainsleys are good for leggy riders.

I did NOT like any of the Toulouse models I sat in. I felt squished in all of them, even the Marielle with the extra forward flap. Plus I’ve heard not so great things about them and I’m not impressed with how other Toulouse products I’ve seen have worn. With your budget you can do much better.

I’ve ridden in a really old Roxanne and loved it even though it was a little small for me. I sat in a new one at Rolex last year but wasn’t as in love with it as I thought I would be. I didn’t ride in it though and the Stubben fitter is quite pricey to come out and the fitter I used reps many brands but not Stubeen :frowning: I was under the impression that Stubben has foam, not wool? Is that wrong?

Most Stubben models are wool flocked, and there are lots of different flap options. You can look on their website for a good explanation.

www.stubbennorthamerica.com

When I was saddle shopping, the only new one that fit me in my $1000 budget was an Ovation 4 Star event saddle. If you can find one (and that’s a big if, it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack), that might be a consideration although I don’t know how they fit the horse and I think they’re foam.

Not enough clearance for big withers in the MToulouse line.
Prestige (with flocked panels) is my favorite for the type of back you describe and their +2cm flaps are forward enough for long thighs. Hard to find in your price range, though.
The Pessoa monoflap has decent clearance and a very forward flap. You should be able to find one of those within your budget.

Stubben North America has so many fitting options, seat options, etc. that I think you would really want to look into this possibility. Great company, many options, produced in Switzerland and closely overseen. I highly recommend checking them out for your specific needs.

[QUOTE=billiebob;7948787]
Look at Stubbens. They fit withery horses well, and there are lots of used options in your price range. I’m also tall and while I liked the Roxanne best, I ended up with a Siegfried CS Extra. Also check out Ainsleys and Prestige–Prestiges will sometimes show up in your budget, and Ainsleys are good for leggy riders.

I did NOT like any of the Toulouse models I sat in. I felt squished in all of them, even the Marielle with the extra forward flap. Plus I’ve heard not so great things about them and I’m not impressed with how other Toulouse products I’ve seen have worn. With your budget you can do much better.[/QUOTE]

I love my Ainsley - it always fit me like a glove… However, recently I’ve gained some weight (15lb :eek:) after quitting my barn-job and taking an office one… And the Ainsley is almost too small for me with my extra padding!! I would definitely suggest poking around for an older one - they sell dirt cheap because they are a lesser known brand… but mine has been like a ROCK for me, and fits a wide variety of horses… My only (odd) complaint about it is that it is better for high withered, ‘sculpy’ type shouldered horses… It didn’t fit my sausage-type TB at all.

I also second a Stubben if Ainsley isn’t your taste. They come in so many flap lengths, so many panel types, etc, that you really couldn’t do wrong. The older ones are much more affordable and like Ainsleys are just SO war-horse like in their making – you really couldn’t do wrong with an older Roxanne or a Siegfried for a TB.

If there’s any way you can squeeze out some more $$ for the Black Country Ricochet, do it. I just recently left the world of mid priced saddle for a BC and will never go back. The quality and the balance is just so much better, and you just plug right into them as soon as you’re in the saddle. I can’t really describe it, but it’s night and day from the mid-priced saddles. I am also 5’7" with a 22.5" femur and yes, you will have a very hard time finding a saddle that both fits you and is not too long on your horse’s back. I’ve seen those for around $1800 which isn’t too far above your budget. Considering how long you will have it…just a thought.

I recently bought a Stubben Zaria for my high withered Oldenburg and I love it. My Stubben rep was wonderful to work with and didn’t charge for coming out. Stubbens are available with both foam and wool flocking depending on you and your horse’s needs. The Zaria new sells for around $3k but a used one may be in your budget.

[QUOTE=Temecula Jumper;7949389]
I recently bought a Stubben Zaria for my high withered Oldenburg and I love it. My Stubben rep was wonderful to work with and didn’t charge for coming out. Stubbens are available with both foam and wool flocking depending on you and your horse’s needs. The Zaria new sells for around $3k but a used one may be in your budget.[/QUOTE]

Just FYI you may have better luck finding a used Stubben Excalibur, they discontinued it last year because they came out with the Zaria. I’m 6’ tall and I picked one up last year for my ottb. The G flap is extra forward and fit my leg nicely.

Barnsby Diablo. This is one of the few saddles that clears my Tb’s withers and it has a very forward flap for the long-femured. It has an adjustable tree and is wool flocked so it can be custom fit by a saddle fitter. Excellent saddle for a long-legged rider on a high withered Tb!

Just a suggestion…watch out for too forward a flap if your femur is much longer than your calf. It will often cause a chair seat, or you will have much less than a 90 degree angle in your knee. Unless you like that style of course.

If your femur and calf are close in length a forward flap would be fine.

I believe there is an 18" Black Country at the Tack Box in Middleburg.