Unlimited access >

Recommendation for a young horse starter in central PA

Looking for recommendations for a kind and competent professional to start a 3 year old Warmblood filly around central PA. She is smart and a bit sensitive. Retains things quickly but needs tact.

She is bred to be a hunter (Apiro), but I’m looking for a solid start that includes trails etc.

Ideas?

I can’t speak to anyone in PA…but I am in NJ and was having the hardest time finding someone. I ended up sending my last 3 youngsters to Dark Horse Training Center in Shelbyville KY. Mary Rose is awesome with young horses and they will do a ton of trails and field trips. She has a FB page. Well worth them going a little further for the amazing start she gives them. She is used to starting warmblood babies but they will go in a western saddle for a while).

1 Like

Not in PA but if you expand your search a little Dan and Kaitlin Clasing are in Lovettsville VA (near the MD boarder) and are the very best. They are event riders but will give your baby a very well rounded education. They are sympathetic yet firm and the horse care their barn provides is outstanding.

2 Likes

If you are willing to send further south I can’t speak highly enough of Phylis Dawson farm or The Frame Sport horses.

The Clasings are great as well.

1 Like

Karen Pound at Pine Creek Sport Horses is in Bucks County. Not sure if she has trails, but she puts an impeccable start on her babies and does all the young horse in hand stuff as well as under saddle.

Seconding Karen and also suggesting Jessica Forliano in New Hope PA. Both are SEPA not Central PA but not crazy far from Central PA.

I’ve heard good things about Katherin Hewitt but she is in Kennett Square, so probably not the area you’re looking for. I’m in MA but have friends who train with her and are very happy. They also work with Fylicia Barr Eventing, so that cross training emphasis is there vs just being in a ring and jumping the sticks.

A third for Karen Pound/Pine Creek. I’ve had two youngers go through her program (one is in it currently) and have known her for years. She puts an incredible start on young horses and has lovely facility with fabulous care and fun boarders! Feel free to PM me if you’d like!