Unlimited access >

Recommendations for 5-10 year old 3/4 or 1 ton trucks?

To my dismay, I need to replace my trusty beloved '95 GMC 2500 (it’s starting to literally fall apart cosmetically as it nears the end of its 3d decade on this earth, and I have a backyard mechanic acquaintance who is eager to take it off my hands…).

I haul a 3H 4Star GN with dressing room. I’m only considering 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. Looking for feedback on which makes/models/engines to look for in the 2013-2018 range (or which to avoid). I could go a little older or newer, but that appears to be the sweet spot for me for price range x age/wear/conveniences.

Looking for reliability above all. Probably gas, since I don’t drive the truck enough for a diesel to be ideal. It won’t be my daily driver. I don’t really need 4WD, but would be fine with it. I do need 4 doors as my kids are only getting taller.

Thanks in advance for input.

(PS–I was on here as Grasshopper since the aughts, but that account was linked to a Hotmail account I no longer have!)

2 Likes

no suggestions other than be aware the bed height of current trucks is Much higher than your 1995, might want to know what you current height is than compare that with what you are looking to upgrade into. I have no idea when the heights transitioned other than there are several threads by people who made the update only to find out they had to either replace or modify their trailer

4 Likes

Thank you, I had indeed noticed that! My GN does have an adjustable neck, but I’m not sure how adjustable exactly. Am leaning towards GMC/Chevy partly for that reason–it appears they are less tall than the Fords and Dodges. (The other reason is honestly just familiarity–but I know all the brands have changed a lot in 20-30 years, so don’t want to buy myself a problem.)

2 Likes

fully understand as when I traveled extensively I always tired to rent the same model cars, really had zero desire to learn about a different vehicle while in a place where I lacked familiarity

2 Likes

I’d look at the newer end of your proposed range. I believe that there were frame and suspension changes (for the better) that were introduced in model year 2015.

3 Likes

Yup, the K2XX platform for the GMC/Chevy HD trucks was 2015-2019 and had some good changes.

I’d suggest going to some dealerships and checking out the new and used inventory to see what features you like. Even though you aren’t buying new it can be helpful to see what options are out there and then figure out what years/trims they are available on and if it’s something you might want to look for in a used vehicle.

For example the GM factory “puck” system for the gooseneck/5th wheel hitch was introduced in 2016. You can certainly add a GN hitch afterwards, but the puck systems are SO nice.

Once you can narrow it down to your “must have” exterior/interior features you’ll know what powertrains you’re dealing with so can look into the reliability of them.

Good luck! Truck shopping can be fun but also completely overwhelming. And you’ll likely feel like you’re now sitting in a spaceship instead of a truck - I know I do having recently gone from a 2003 Chevy LT 2500 to 2020 GMC Denali 3500! :rofl:

5 Likes

When I picked up my GN at the factory (with a Ford), the manufacturer told me that Ram trucks were the worst, in regards to the increased height of the bed sides.

1 Like

Dodge diesel. Older is OK. They go forever. Tons of power. Economical to run. The advice about the height of the deck and sides of the box on newer trucks fitting under the gooseneck of your trailer is legitimate. If you get a flat deck, or remove the box off a pick up and replace it with a flat deck, this isn’t a problem. My flatdeck 97 Dodge 1 ton has a recessed hitch, with a slide in cover that goes over the top of it when not being used to pull the trailer. It’s perfect. Sorry, it’s not for sale… I have to regularly beat potential buyers away with a stick. Older models are pre def, which is the best. We just bought a 91 3/4 ton 4x4 with half a million km on it for $7000. Put new tires on it, and some minor and expected repairs. Pulls like stink, drives you back into the seat with acceleration. Farm truck, hay delivery, firewood, winter beater truck. Cheap to run.

1 Like

2013 was the first year of DEF for Ram diesels, so I’d avoid that year and the year or two after. No one wants the first of anything.

I have a 2012 Ram diesel and am happy with it. I have deleted all of the emissions equipment though, so YMMV (literally and figuratively).

I can’t speak much to gassers though.

1 Like

Regardling the GM “puck” gooseneck system mentioned above, which I believe is supplied to them by Curt. I have it on my 2017 GMC 2500HD and I do like it. One big plus is that removing the towing inserts is a breeze and gives you a nice, flat truck bed so you can slide in stacks of plywood, if that’s your thing. Unfortunately leaving the pucks installed makes them a target for opportunistic thieves. The Curt replacement kit if yours disappears sells for around $250-300. I lost mine while I was shopping at Tractor Supply.
IMG_0861 IMG_0860

3 Likes

There are a bunch of hitch insert kits that work with the puck system. When we bought our current truck (used from a dealer) there wasn’t an insert kit with it so we needed to buy one. We decided to go with the B&W kit based on online reviews and I liked that there weren’t any pins and the handle design - no need to try to grab part of the greasy ball. :wink:

B&W Ball & Safety Chain Kit

There are aftermarket GN hitches that you can remove to leave the bed unobstructed, but releasing/removing them is more cumbersome than with the puck system. (That’s what we had on our old truck.)

But the puck system/integrated hitch needs to be installed during assembly - it can’t be added afterwards which is why you’d need to check for it while shopping.

1 Like