Unlimited access >

Recommendations for Driving Trainers near Ocala

I have an 8 year old Welsh gelding that I would like to have someone (good) train to drive. His sire is a driving pony and does quite well. This pony was very naughty/ spoiled and had changed hands a few times. With the help of some brave trainers, and consistent riding and ground manners work, he really is turning into a good boy. He’s in a pro barn and the activity there seems to agree with him. He’s wicked smart. Go figure. Anyway he’s at the point that I wouldn’t be embarrassed to send him to someone. The FL Whips website and others has a list of trainers, but I don’t know any, therefore looking for recs. It would be helpful if they can also train drivers, as I’m clueless. I know new driver, new drivee is a no no, so pony could stay with a trainer. TIA

I’m the newsletter editor for the Florida Whips and that list is a great one to start with. I would suggest calling up people and get a feel for your style versus their style. I’ve taken lessons with Larry Poulin, Gary Yeager, Muffy, and Elizabeth and like each one of them and would happily go back for more lessons whenever the opportunity presents itself. Muffy is based in Aiken though (and goes out west in the summer). Elizabeth is at Grand Oaks and returns to TN at the end of May. Larry also goes back north for the summer but I’m not sure when (his barn is close to Black Prong). Gary is up in Alachua and based in Florida year 'round.

Jeanne Thornton is a great driver, she has a 4 in hand team that is just lovely. Boots is one of the best pony drivers anywhere and one of her pairs is welsh so she knows the breed. Thorston and Olof are really only for lessons and more focused on upper level drivers, I’m 99% sure they are not taking in horses for training. Bob is probably only doing lessons now, but don’t quote me on that!

I don’t really know the rest of the drivers well enough to comment, but when I wanted to send out Xan for driving, I just called up several upper level drivers in Aiken (I’m based in Atlanta). Every last one of them was happy to talk to some random stranger and every last one of them recommended the same person (Blanchard Poole in Swansea, SC) as their go to person for starting their driving horses/ponies. The driving community is awesome and will always welcome a newb (I speak from first hand experience).

Finally, Black Prong closes out the Florida driving season on 3/27, you may want to talk to some drivers and then go watch everyone in action that weekend and see what you like.

(now back to the Feb newsletter, which due to “life” is more like the Feb/Mar newsletter!)

@DMK gave you some great leads! :yes:

I just wanted to add my antiquated 2¢ :winkgrin:
Talking maybe 10yrs back.
When I was a total Newb - maybe a dozen drives with Trainer’s sainted pony & just 2 solo trips with same…
Muffy Seaton did a clinic at Trainer’s barn .
I had The.Best. time.
Enjoyed auditing as well as driving.

And when I asked how to stop a runaway (I knew pulley rein for ridden) her answer was priceless:
“Aim for something solid”
Truth :o
”‹”‹”‹”‹”‹

1 Like

I’ll second Jean Thornton

Thanks all. I have a lot of homework to do.