Recommendations for riding jeans?

I did a search but most of the posts were older. I need some recommendations for riding jeans for a week-long ranch trip in Wyoming at the end of this month. I tried riding in regular jeans several years ago, but the seams bothered me on longer rides. Are there any jeans you would recommend or things I should avoid in a pair of regular jeans? Mid or high-rise would be a bonus as I have a 54 y/o muffin top :grin: TIA!!!

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t wear jeans at all for riding. Maybe for the after-party but not for riding. I would ride in schooling tights (they move with you like a swimsuit) with my western riding boots. Jeans get hot, they are heavy, theyā€™re miserable when they get wet.

ETA: If you ā€œjust gotta haveā€ jeans get some jeans-jodhpurs that are made for riding. Or look at Wranglers: they used to have smoother or no inside seams.

2 Likes

I think these are the Kerrits I have (I ordered mine 3 years ago)

Look for some bootcut riding jeans if you like but I would go with the tights of some kind.

1 Like

Thank you for responding! I ride English and have breeches to take, I just want a pair of jeans too. Iā€™ll try Wrangler.

1 Like

I really prefer bootcut riding tights over jeans:

https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/search-english.html?start=0&count=200&searchtext=Bootcut

For jeans maybe Ariat? Riding Warehouse has a good selection of jeans and free returns

https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/search-english.html?start=0&count=200&searchtext=Ariat+jeans

3 Likes

I LOVE these. I have them in like 4 colors. They are much lighter than jeans if itā€™s really warm out, good pockets and they arenā€™t horribly pricey.

I do like Ariat brand jeans when itā€™s cooler out, but my max ride time in them is an hour or two so I canā€™t speak for extended riding comfort.

2 Likes

Probably for the past 50 years, everyone here, men and women, have worn these Wranglers for work and riding on ranches.
Never had a seam bother me or heard anyone else complain and we made some big circles and spent plenty of hours branding in them.

Then, pants are so personal, you just have to try them, may not be what fits you best.

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/wrangler-cowboy-cut-bootcut-stretch-regular-fit-jean-0947.html?merchCategory=WRG_MEN_COLLECTIONS_COWBOYCUT&dwvar_0947_color=0947STR

4 Likes

Just bought a pair of Wrangler Q-Baby jeans today. Boot cut. Mid-rise. Also a pair of Kimes Ranch Betty jeans, boot cut. Love them both, and the new ones are replacing the same jeans that have worn out. Seams never bother me, and I wear them for hours at a time in the saddle.

1 Like

Kimes Ranch jeans kimesranch.com

2 Likes

Years ago I had a pair of jeans from https://www.smoothstride.com/ They werenā€™t cut right for me - they didnā€™t offer size ā€œshort and fat,ā€ so they didnā€™t fit well, but they were nice for riding - no inner inseam at all. Right now, the website indicates that they are having some supply chain issues, but it may be worth a call or email.

My personal choice would be the boot cut breeches. Kerrits makes one in stretch denim that looks pretty jean-like.

2 Likes

I gave up my Kimes for Haalaā€™s and have never looked back. Iā€™ll be buried in those suckers.

I hate riding in jeans with a passion. However, I got into reining and ranch versatility so when I show or ride in a clinic I wear Kimeā€™s Ranch jeans.

Iā€™m not a fan of the (so called) mid-rise Betty style, which is the most popular. Instead, I wear the the Sarah style. Sarah is a true high-rise boot cut (no muffin top!), but itā€™s made in a way that fits more like breeches through the thigh and tapered down the calf. The fabric has just enough stretch to it. They are a little pricey but I consider them $ well spent.

If you want stretch then Fallon Taylorā€™s Ranch Dressā€™n line is my go to when I want to dabble in my western saddle.

1 Like

My problem-- and itā€™s a personal figure problem-- is Iā€™m long waisted with thin, long legs but yet I have hips and a flat butt. Lovely image, I know. :laughing:

So anything that fits around my hips (size 10) is ridiculously huge on my thighs and calves (size 6). I look like Iā€™m wearing harem pants. And when itā€™s boot cut on top of that, I end up with excess denim swirling around my feet in the stirrups. Itā€™s actually comical at this point in my life.

Iā€™ve spent hundreds of dollars on western jeans that do not fit. I fall for the advertising every time only to be disappointed. Iā€™ve spent hours in Boot Barns and at the vendors at major shows. Nothing. Fits. The closest Iā€™ve come is Kimes Sarah, but even those are not something Iā€™d wear anyplace but riding.

1 Like

You should try on the mens Kimes Rogers!
My fiance bought a pair without trying them on and they fit him like skinny jeans.
So I ā€œjokinglyā€ put them on, and itā€™s the only style of Kimes I remotely like these days.

2 Likes

Fascinating! Thanks for the idea.

1 Like

I second Ranch Dressnā€™. They come in a super long length so you can cut them to your needs.

Wranglers are my go-to, and have been for decades, no matter what type of seat Iā€™m riding (SS, hunt, western). Just donā€™t get the ones made with the stretchy material. The last several pairs I bought was from a shop that sells to motorcyclists - they get the jeans made with the better, non-stretch material. If the store owner is knowledgeable, he/she can tell you the grades of fabric and can get you what would work best, IMHO.

Just tried the Kimes Sarah jeans. They fit. Higher waisted than Iā€™m used to but they fit. Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

Glad you like them.

Maybe I should be an influencer!!! :rofl: