Recommendations of light, comfy trail saddle for members of the Broken Body Club?

I just got a call that my western pleasure saddle–previously my trail saddle, until it was revealed to be far too narrow for my new boy–sold on consignment today. So, I can officially start shopping for a new saddle better suited to my new boy and, thanks to a host of health issues, my new riding life.

My horse is an Arab, though a large Arab (about 15.3 and 1000+lbs), and he has that shorter back issue (ugh, Western saddles go into his flank and hip) as well as the wider-tree-type body. He is also a tad back sore due to compensation issues; chiro and exercises help, but I obviously don’t want to aggravate the problem.

As for me, I have a host of thyroid and neurological issues; body aches, joint aches, exercise intolerance, and muscle spasticity (muscles can seize up with very little use–they sometimes seem to think I’ve run a marathon when I’m just walking across a parking lot) are my main interfering symptoms. I rode my boy yesterday in my HDR close contact A/O, and while it’s a good fit for us, my knees, thighs, feet, and back were complaining loudly even at the halt.

So, I’m in the market for something light, comfy for both my horse and me, and appropriate for trail/multi-purpose use. (I’ll still use my HDR on my good days when I feel like doing more.)

Any recommendations?

If you don’t mind going treeless, I think the Freeform Classic is incredibly comfortable and light.

I’ve heard good things about treeless saddles, though I know little about them. I’ll look into it. :slight_smile:

Although after some Googling…perhaps I should add if at all possible I’d like to keep the price under $1000. :eek: Is that even possible for my purposes and needs?

Look up the Fabtron saddles. The are light weight, come in a varity of trees and the ‘Lady Fabtron’ is a really comfortable seat designed for us females. The skirts are shorter than all leather saddles which makes them fit short backed horses. I have had both knees replaced and have fibro and several other issues and I love my Lady Fabtron! They are in about the $700 ish price range.

FYI amazon review says there is a $200 restocking fee if you buy online.

[QUOTE=Lauruffian;7755213]
Although after some Googling…perhaps I should add if at all possible I’d like to keep the price under $1000. :eek: Is that even possible for my purposes and needs?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Used those saddles are going for $700-$800. I paid that for mine, have had it for about 8 years and it’s going strong.

I am a star member of the broken body club. My arab has got super high withers, a very short back and extremely wide shoulders. We both have found extreme solace in treeless saddles. After a few that weren’t quite perfect, we settled on the Barefoot line. First I rode in a Barefoot London for years-after some time, switched to a Barefoot Cheyenne. Check it out. You can often get them for under 800.00. I suggest if you do go used, get one with the VPS system, which has a sort of built in gullet.

The technology used on treeless saddles has evolved and continues to. You will be pleasantly surprised!

For a lot of good free and friendly info, go to the treeless group on yahoo.

I loved my Abetta Endurance saddle. Super light weight and fit my arab gelding perfectly. They come in QH and Arab trees.

https://www.horseloverz.com/product/endurance/194091-abetta-endurance-saddle.html

Very comfy, great for bad knees and back in my case.

[QUOTE=cnigh;7759122]
I loved my Abetta Endurance saddle. Super light weight and fit my arab gelding perfectly. They come in QH and Arab trees.

https://www.horseloverz.com/product/endurance/194091-abetta-endurance-saddle.html

Very comfy, great for bad knees and back in my case.[/QUOTE]

I was going to recommend this saddle, but I find it really heavy. It’s really comfy, but it weighs a ton to me. I’m not used to this type of saddle so maybe that’s it, but it’s much heavier then my dressage saddle. But it’s super plush and nice on the trail. I just don’t enjoy dragging it from the car to the barn and back.

I HAVE a Barefoot Cheyanne if you want to try it… it is/was set up for Royal, but I’m sure we can size it for Trill. Treeless saddles feel really wierd the first time you set it them, & some fit your body differently than others. I ended up feeling the best using a padded bareback pad…

:slight_smile: J

Fabtrons are very comfortable, lightweight, synthetic saddles. Definitely under your price limit and you can get them even cheaper used.

Another EXTREMELY confortable line of treeless saddles are the Sensation Saddles. They make a couple of “english” models for trail use with the extra D rings, etc. Also their Hybrid model gets rave reviews. I’ve owned Freeforms and Sensations plus several other brands. The Sensations have the most comfortable seats hands down and a pretty short base and good twist. Much softer than the Freeforms.

Buy used. There is a treeless saddles yahoo group where many are sold. Do try to borrow saddles to try first. Be aware that a good saddle pad with inserts in pockets is best to put under treeless saddles on most horses. These saddles have come a really long way but the pads with pockets will let you use memory foam inserts to level the saddle or fill the dip in a dippy back, etc. The pads can cost a chunk of change but if you buy a used saddle see if they will throw in a used pad with it.

chicamuxen

I borrowed Jingo-Ace’s Barefoot Cheyanne today! Thanks JA for all the fitting help and how-tos. Check out my handsome boy.

I walked him around a bit in it and found it very soft and comfy. I love that, like with bareback, I can really feel the horse–I can feel him breathing, his muscles moving, etc. I like that it’s easier on my knees than my old Western, and the fenders on this are light enough I still feel like I have good contact with the horse (another issue I had with Western–I felt like I couldn’t feel the horse). The raised front and cantel also make my expanded butt feel a little bit more secure than just in my HDR.

It’s on trial for the moment–much like what you recommended chicamux–so hopefully it will turn out to be a good match. :smiley:

And thanks AGAIN Jingo-Ace!