Unlimited access >

Recurring skin abscess

Wow, I didn’t realize it was even possible to CT at the stifle level, but it does appear to take a special machine & table. Do you have that available?

Wanting to throw the whole book at the problem is understandable, but see what your c/s & biopsy yields first. Have you sought out additional opinions yet? Getting more eyeballs on the issue is usually pretty helpful.

To expand on what ASB_Stars and Bluey are saying here, I have a horse who popped a piece of bone out of his shoulder area about 12 years ago. We think he had been kicked, and it caused a bone chip. A small area opened with fluid draining out and when I went to clean it up, the bone chip was right at the entrance to the wound. It healed very nicely after that. The wound was not huge, maybe between an inch to inch and a half long. There had been swelling in the area prior to the wound opening, but no lameness.

My suspicion would be bone chip or small foreign object that was somehow missed in the exams.

I would not rush to a CT when a pathology can likely tell more in a more economical fashion

2 Likes

I feel like if this vet couldn’t find it the first time then I’d be better off getting a second opinion. I don’t know if they have the capability to CT that area. I had to get a CT of my last horses head due to sinus issues that multiple rounds of antibiotics wouldn’t clear because it was stuck in a sinus cavity that wouldn’t drain.

Just went out and cleaned it up and scrubbed it real well. It looks like a tiny piece of thorn came out but I’m not certain. There’s now a pencil eraser sized hole in the center that goes through the skin. Put the curicyn clay back on it.

8 Likes

You may have found it all on your own! Remember that the foreign body does try to migrate out. It just takes time. I hope that you found the cause, and she’ll heal up from here.

1 Like

Well, what do you know, maybe that was the problem?

That would be lucky, just help the hole close and maybe it won’t repeat, if that was all. :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Equestrianette fingers crossed that your thorn was it!

Please keep us updated! Lots of great information to learn from on this thread!

1 Like

How interesting. I hope you have kept “the thing” so the vet can look at it with magnification and establish what it really is! Fingers crossed thats the culprit.

1 Like

Golly, I hope that’s the problem! :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: Looks like it could be a splinter or a piece of straw.

1 Like

the secret with abscesses is to keep the hole open as long as possible to allow drainage of dead tissues. You certainly found a thorn or perhaps a porcupine quill?

It can take a long time for the body to spit out a foreign body. Had a mare once that spat out a small chunk of wood 6 months after a known wound above cornet band, It came out mid cannot bone. This one is darn small and it is possible there might be others?

Here it is today. A lot less inflamed looking.

4 Likes

That does look better! Fingers firmly crossed…

Amazing how something so tiny can cause such a huge mess.

I’m curious as to how this is going?

Now we’re getting to deal with a bit of proud flesh as it tries to heal, so we’re dealing with that part now.

Hopefully that is the last of it!

Curious as well about how this is going!

It healed! We put the curicyn clay on it and it healed right up. This is a pic from yesterday.

8 Likes

Wonderful news!

Yay! That is great news, so happy for both of you!!!