Unlimited access >

Red Light/LLL Therapy or ? for Arthritis in RF Pastern

I have an older dressage who has recently been diagnosed with O/A on his right front pastern due to an old injury. My vet has recommended shoeing changes and the addition of Adequan. I am investigating anything else I can do to hopefully put off injections and oral meds. I am not against injections, just wanting to save it to after trying other things.

THX

I know people have had good results with red light therapy on horses and dogs, but it did nothing for me. I borrowed a device and used it on my knees for a while, but unfortunately it did not help. My rheumatologist swears it’s OA, not RA, in my knees.

If it were my horse, I’d probably try the red light therapy in case there was something unique to me that caused it not to work. I’ve heard too many positive reports to think I’m typical.

Rebecca

2 Likes

I read that the type of device makes a huge difference

I would recommend shockwave therapy over any other therapeutic treatments if possible.

If you have access to a class 4 laser a couple sessions make an immense difference. A class 3 laser is fine but certainly not as powerful as the 4 and would take longer and more treatments, but you should see a result depending on the laser used.
Not all class 3 are created equal but if you have access to someone that offers laser therapy with a good system, that would be your best option in that department. Alternatively Brandenburg Equine makes an affordable handheld 3B laser that has the better diodes and wavelengths.
I’ve found the cheap red light/“laser” devices are not even close to being strong enough to help with bone arthritis in an effective way.

4 Likes

Shockwave is too scary for me, at this point. Thanks for info on the different lasers. I will see if there is anyone in my area with a class 4. I am assuming that a license of some type is required for a class 4?

I believe only licensed vets can buy and operate a class 4 and I think vet techs too but I’m not sure on that and if it varies from state to state?

1 Like