Unlimited access >

Red light therapy device recommendations

I’ve seen success with the red light therapy devices in the past, and I’m considering purchasing a unit for personal use with my horses and myself. I see a lot of advertisements and read their reviews, but is there anyone here on the forum that has purchased and used a unit in the past year or so? Recommendations? Not looking to break the bank, but think this could be useful in keeping our horses comfortable.

2 Likes

I have the small unit from this company: https://equinelighttherapy.com/welcome-equine-canine-light-therapy

A bodyworker I used recommended it. I’ve used it for multiple horse injuries and for my dogs. I had a dog partially paralyzed with a herniated disc and this made a HUGE difference in her comfort. She would see me pull it out and would sprawl out on her bed in anticipation. I actually just pulled it out to use on some SI muscle soreness on my horse after compensating from a slightly too short trim. He was really reactive to palpation last night, used the light pad for 15 minutes and this morning he was significantly less reactive.

3 Likes

I second and third @stargzng386 recommendation.

The pad I had was 16 years old and still going strong on my horses, dogs, and myself ——until I got careless and it fell in a bucket of water.

I wasted no time calling them and ordering a new one:)

An added bonus is it is American made and you get to talk to a real person when you call —- what a concept.

2 Likes

No, I’m not familiar with the products but please be aware that the red light therapy only works with collimated red light. This means that the source of the light is sending light at the specific wavelength of red light. All of the light beams move together and penetrate the skin better because they are all at the same wavelength. Lasers tend to produce this kind of light.

Don’t rely on a regular beam of light passed through a filter. All of the “non-red” beams will be bounced off by the filter, but only the proportionally few red beams will pass. Probably not enough to do any kind of therapy. Lasers are best. White light passed through a filter in not best.

4 Likes

Thank you so much stargzng386. This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. Bonus that it’s made in the USA!

J-Lu. Do you have experience with a laser that you would recommend? I’m open to that as well, but would prefer recommendations from somewhere besides the product websites. It seems that we always have someone in the barn needing support with soft tissue issues, so I think it could be a big help.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I don’t. I just know how light works because I so a lot of microscopy (confocal, multiphoton and light sheet) that relies on collimated light. My veterinarian uses a laser with deep red light to relax muscles before chiropractic work, and I know that scientists developed deep red light lasers for use in humans (I have a friend who developed this approach to slow cancer cells). Yes, I would not look at product websites unless I read the fine print I’m not even sure many veterinarians understand the difference. But a good veterinarian should be able to recommend a unit to you. Be sure the product is generating collimated red light, not just filtering out all light but red light form. That is a very weak system. A true laser will generate mostly light of a certain wavelength and it’s filters will get rid of extraneous light wave forms. The deep red collimated light can really penetrate the skin.

Call good vets, good lameness vets and/or your state Vet school to get recommendations. Most people are eager to share their experiences with products and will want to point you in the right direction. Good luck!

2 Likes

I have the According to Gospel red light pads as well! I also have the Photizo Vetcare handheld. Depends what area I’m treating in terms of what I use. I’ve used the handheld on acupuncture points to treat anhidrosis for example.

1 Like

This is the LLLT that I use (human and equine massage therapist). I ran it by my vet as well, and she approved. Another vet who focuses on equine and canine acupuncture and chiropractic work advised not using it on dogs. She said LLLT has the ability to increase cell activity in cancer cells, and dogs sometimes have “hidden” tumors.
I’ve been using on my horse (recovering from salmonellosis and has an incredibly stripped out GI, and lots of abdominal discomfort), and my vet encouraged me to use specifically in a few spots.
(I don’t get anything from sharing this link)

1 Like

HUGE Fan of “according to gospel red light therapy”
Been using it for years and its exceptional!

1 Like

Reviving topic to see if anyone has additional recommendations for cold laser therapy. Looking for a good cordless handheld one. Thanks!

2 Likes

Steepleview, sent you a PM.

1 Like

In addition to my red light therapy pad above, I also have a cold laser gun and the massage gun from Brandenburg Equine in Illinois.

He makes his laser guns and he even answered my phone call when he was in the cold/flu aisle at the drug store. I offered to call back but he was very gracious and spent time on the phone with me while looking for flue meds:)

DH bought the laser gun and the massage gun as my Christmas gift because they weren’t cheap.

I use the begeezus out of both them. The message gun on myself, the laser gun on the horses.

I use the gun on both my horses. This is only my anecdotal observation but two extra things have happened with the one horse with a bad stifle:

1. That same (white) leg has always had some edema when the heat/humidity come on. So far, this year, it is normal, no puffiness at all.

2. That same leg typically sees a good case of Scratches in the pastern area, in the spring. So far only one spot right on the heel bulb that is almost healed in just a couple of weeks with diaper rash cream.

I really like the Brandenburg cold laser gun for ease of use, plus it is American made. It is lightweight which is great for my arthritic hands.

3 Likes

Thank you! That was one of the ones I was considering. Your feedback is really helpful!

1 Like

Check out Equi Sol. It just came out and was designed by our massage therapist. I haven’t used it, but my friend has and her horse seems to like it.

1 Like

Troy is so nice! He lives in my area and worked on my horse a couple times many years back. He spends a lot of time in Australia now I think. I’m not sure he “makes” his laser devices. I’ve seen very similar looking ones online without his logo. His seem to carry such a high price, I wonder. . . .

2 Likes

I should have worded things differently.

I think he buys the parts and does the assembly work. Big difference from actually making the parts for the internal workings 🫣🫣

I have a pony with a laminitis flare-up. Has anyone used red light therapy devices on hoofs to help heal the laminae?

I’ve never tried the red light therapy devices on laminitic hooves but that’s a good though IMO.

I would try it on the coronet band, the heel bulbs, frogs and even the sole. You won’t hurt anything and aren’t out anything but time and standing on your head for nothing, if it doesn’t help🤠

I think he really just finds a company to rebrand them as his. That’s what I thought I read somewhere but I could be wrong.

1 Like