Unlimited access >

Redwine babies?

Looking into buying a foal that’s a Redwine x with a holsteiner mare by Cat Weasel Z. Mom is 15.3. I’m hoping for a fancy hunter prospect.
Anyone have recommendations or experience they can share? things to look for etc…first time foal buyer :slight_smile:

Can’t speak to the damline on your potential purchase, but the R-line (in this case, Rotspon & sons - Redwine & Rascalino is his other really well known one) have a pretty solid reputation. They are very well known for by and large having excellent temperaments (many are described as “born broke”) with good minds. Sizewise, many of them don’t get particularly large (Rotspon was 16’2, Redwine was 16h, Rascalino was 16’1). Occasionally you will get a taller one (most often through the Rohdiamant branch, but some exceptions come up) but they’re one of those lines that tends to be right in the middle (not small, not tall).

They have very nice gaits - in terms of correctness in their way of going, I generally struggle to find any other family line that can compare with such consistency. They aren’t super extravagant in front (good for hunters, not super articulated through the knee, but less popular in dressage at the moment with the sometimes exaggerated front ends being preferred) but have very good mechanics behind in terms of being able to track up and go correctly.

I have also found that many of them have a natural internal rhythm and they tend to be very consistent under saddle as a result (both over fences & in dressage). However, and your mileage may vary on this, the ones that I have known are hard to motivate into being more forward than they decide is best. This means some of them seem super lazy, I’ve heard them accused of being really dull off the leg and seat (which I did not find to be true: they were clever enough to know how to get away to not listening to a nagging ride). You could get them to move out more (both in terms of lengthening stride and getting them to be a little more expedient with how they move their feet off the ground) but it was not something any of them gave to a rider for free.

I like the R-line. I think they are smart, good minded, and generally good natured horses. If someone is looking for a more “luxury handling” type of ride (super sensitive/reactive to cues) they might not be ideal, but they are nicely moving, with a decent jump. In my mind, they tend to sell themselves on temperament alone, but the fact that they are so nice to ride for so many people is really just (a lot of) icing on the cake.

5 Likes

Thank you for your reply! The mare is quite small too which made me worry a bit but he appears to be quite large already at only a few months.

You will get a lot more responses. There are a lot of Redwine babies out there. We have two in our barn. Both geldings, very dark bay and attractive. Neither have the scope or presence to be big time hunters and both are quirky. I wouldn’t peg either as an amateur horse. Just one opinion. And, I don’t know anything about their dams.

My Redwine mare is worth her weight in whatever the most expensive thing on the planet is, I wouldn’t trade her for the world. I have seen a couple that I literally wouldn’t take for free. I guess he is hit or miss and I got a grand slam. I personally question anyone who chooses to breed a mare to him these days due to his owner being such a POS though. Most breeders I know wouldn’t touch him for that reason so I am not sure what the quality of mares he is getting now.

9 Likes

Thanks guys! If someone is interested in taking a look at him and giving me their thoughts shoot me a message, i would appreciate it!

You can send it to me

If the mare belongs to the stallion owner it would be an unwise purchase, to say the least.

6 Likes

Is Redwine still owned by the criminal Jill Burrell?

It is not

Redwine produced the winner in the Governer General’s cup. His current owner and breeder had the winning mare, stunning mare. I’ve seen some excellent progeny come from Redwine, nice head and necks, nice movers. They excel in hunter breeding, haven’t heard much past the hunter breeding classes.

I know of the foal you’re interested in. If you’re from a distance, ask for all the videos you want to formulate an opinion. If you’re not, go see the foal, interact with it… Babies are babies, but you will get to know him and his instincts pretty quickly. The foal is nice, has the RW build. More than likely will excel in hand.

He is still standing in Canada to the best of my knowledge. Not sure what the agreement is with the owner.

Jill Burnell is still his owner. That has never changed as much as Ashland wants people to believe otherwise.

7 Likes

@Edre You pretty much described my R-line horse, though his sire is Ragtime, who goes to Rubenstein via Regazzoni rather than Rotspon. Great minded, though he does have a bit of an opinion at times. And the thing about being hard to motivate into being more forward than they think is necessary made me LOL.

You are right.

1 Like

Heidi Sampson in California has a bunch of nice babies by Redwine. Not sure if you’ve spoken to her but I’d be happy to pass along her contact info. I had one of hers in my barn and I will say he was the nicest youngster to be around! Moved fantastic also!

That’d be great, thanks!

1 Like

[QUOTE=hunter eccentric;]

That’d be great, thanks![/QUOTE]
Done! Check your messages! :slight_smile:

they are born broke. lovely movers and are kick rides. scopey, dark, attractive and chromey.

Shall we discuss the tiny (15.1) chestnut very difficult, very spooky one that I know, then?

2 Likes