Unlimited access >

registering qh foal w/o sire's filed breeding papers

Hi everyone. I just bought a qh foal. He is 7-months old, and I want to have him as a stallion in the future. But here is the problem. He is 100% qh, and both of his parents have got papers. But the problem is, that the people from where i bought him, didn’t change the ownership in AQHA, because they don’t need it, since they don’t do much with them.

Now, I want to register him in the aqha, but the owner didn’t file the breeding papers for the mare (my foal’s mother) last year. So here’s the thing.

–> I know, that I could manage and do a transfer of the sire from previous owners to the newer owners, and then do the HYPP tests and so on. But that would take a very long time, to get everything done and it would also cost a lot of money.

So here is the question. Does anybody have any idea about how could I register him without the work I mentioned before?

Have you called the AQHA and asked them what to do?

They have procedures you can follow to see if there is a way to get your horse registered, depending on what the status of the parents is as breeding stock themselves, as you seem to be aware.

In principle, if someone wants to become a breeder of registered horses, they start with properly registered horses that have a record behind them so they are proven to be outstanding and worth breeding from.

Starting as a breeder with an unregistered 7 month old foal seems a bit like putting the cart before the horse.
You may want to rethink what your purpose is there.

As for getting that foal registered, if the parents were not, or didn’t have the required paperwork to breed from, or a breeding certificate was not submitted, it is just going to take many steps and time to get it all sorted out.

Call the AQHA to find out if you can do anything on your end, or if they can help you by contacting the breeders themselves, as they can in some cases, if it was an oversight that the foal was not registered but other was in file.

All that takes time, is the way paperwork thru regulations works.

Good luck.

5 Likes

It might be possible since the foal is only 7 months but the older they get, the harder it is to do anything…costs more too. And you’d need to find the last owners of record on both sire and dam and have them sign the transfers, IME some will not sign those papers, don’t even want to see you and often you find you need to go back more then set of owners to find that last owner of record because nobody bothered to join and transfer. I dunno what’s required these days but used to be you needed a Stallion report on file indicating what dates the Mare was covered or inseminated…no idea what they require today.

Your biggest problem is the sellers you bought from aren’t AQHA members, do not own the horses in the manner recognized by AQHA and never filed the required paperwork on the breeding since they can’t without current membership and papers. Don’t know how you’d get past that but a first step would be to become an AQHA member. And, you know, sellers told you all this but, unless you physically saw the papers they say they have on both parents? They may not have them. Usually find there’s more to the story then you think.

People amaze me, they say they don’t need to be members or owners of record to breed, no reason at all. Waste of money. Then they represent it as an AQHA Animal but it’s not and the buyer gets screwed.

1 Like

You’re going to have to do the leg work of getting former owners on board with transfers, current owner to submit a late stallion report (assuming you can get sires paperwork in order), and there will be fees involved with all of it. Then work on getting your foal registered. There is no back door easy way to bypass the rules and regulations in place when it comes to transfer of ownership, authorized signatures or registrations.

1 Like

Not trying to be harsh here but if there was a Top Ten List of buyers biggest mistakes, buying " pure bred Registered" without physically getting the papers with the seller as owner of record would be #1. Especially if buyer wants the breed it to produce registured animals.

Dogs too. Sometimes Breeders are just lazy, sometimes they are lying, sometimes they were lied to. But without the papers in hand, it’s not a registered pure bred and may not even be eligible for registration under a hardship clause.

Its very much like buying a car without a title with seller saying you can easily get one. Maybe you can, more often you can’t.

2 Likes

You will have to call AQHA.

Most likely it can be done but it will be a lengthy process. You have to follow their “rules”. There’s no way around the work.

We purchased a 10-year-old gelding last year where NO ONE had ever transferred him into their name – his papers still had the breeders listed as the owner. I took almost a full year to get him registered into my name, because AQHA will try to contact everyone in-between that they can.