Unlimited access >

Regumate dosing

Hi all! We are looking at trying Regumate for my mare who gets sore in her back before and during her heat cycles. My vet recommended dosing once per day for fifteen days starting on the first day of her heat cycle. Then starting again on next heat cycle for another 15 day period. I’m a bit confused by this advice as it doesn’t seem in line with what I’m reading as I research the product. Looking for those more knowledgeable than me with information on its use and any advice on dosing. Thank you!

My mare was on regumate for a few years (I eventually had her spayed) and I’ve never heard of such a dosing scheme. It seems like it would be complicated to determine exactly when to start each time as the average mare owner probably isn’t that intimately familiar with each phase of their mare’s cycle. In addition, since you don’t really know exactly what is causing the back soreness, I’m not sure how the vet can be sure that this intermittent dosing is actually going to effectively address the problem if their is a reproductive issue causing the back pain. The “normal” dosing is 10ml/day, every day.

1 Like

Huh? The norm is 10 ml/day, everyday. Some mares actually get up to 20 ml before they’re completely under control. Still, every day.

1 Like

Also, skipping days will frequently cause a raging heat cycle to start.

1 Like

Thank you both! That is very helpful - That is moreso along the lines of what I was reading. Seems like it would make more sense to keep her on the daily dose through our competition season, which is the same time she’d be cycling, until about October or so. I agree that I think it would be really hard to follow w/ the 15 days on and then restarting again days later. Thanks so much for your input! I’m a first time user of it but think it would help my mare be more comfortable as her back really gets tight when she’s in heat.

2 Likes

Do you have any advice on when to start her on it? The vet had recommended first day of her cycle but from what I can tell it seems that you should start them on it prior to them cycling.

Unless you are really tuned in to her cycle, I’d just start when you get the regumate and keep her on it. Within a month, you should have a good idea if it is doing anything as they cycle roughly every 21 days so no matter where you start, 30 days would be enough to have covered the whole process. I personally started my mare on it basically immediately after she ovulated, but that was only because I’d just had her ultrasounded and was given a bottle of regumate by the vet! About 3 weeks later, it was clear it was helping her (her issue was too many follicles on each ovary).