Unlimited access >

Rehab options

Well, here we go again…

My daughter’s horse came back from rehabbing a bone bruise (6 months complete stall rest with last 3 on hot walker, tread & aquatread) at the end of December and now has to go back on a short layup for another injury (not soft tissue), because…horses…

Vet has prescribed rest, turnout (thank God!!) and swimming for a couple of months.

Anyway, we are trying to decide between three options - he can go back to the facility he was at October - end December, the care is excellent, they obviously know him :roll_eyes: and would be happy to have him back but they don’t offer full turnout, only a stall with a run (which they have available for him) and aquatread not pool. Vet also visits every other week.

Option 2 offers regular turnout and pool swimming, vet doesn’t visit, trainer is familiar with them and is positive but we have no experience there.

Option 3 stay home, comfortable environment and regular turnout but no fitness work at all until done with layup.

The horse in question is young, normally extremely quiet and well-behaved but did not do well at. all. on stall rest, colicked 2x and was absolutely wild and unsafe to handle until he was back on full turnout and work (outside the expert handling at the rehab facility).

We have a direction we are leaning but would love to hear opinions

I would pick #2

1 Like

3 for sure

1 Like

Me, too…#3.

My preference would be #2, but how would the vet do any rechecks? Or are you saying they don’t visit by default, but a vet visit can always be scheduled? If the latter, then no problem - you just have to schedule the rechecks as needed.

If I were you, I would try that, and go check on him once a week or so for a few weeks until you are comfortable. If it doesn’t work out, bring him home and you’ve lost very little.

Plus, it never hurts to have a backup rehab place in case one day the first place is full. Lord willing you’ll never need another rehab facility, but as you say, horses.

Our vet doesn’t visit as it’s outside his coverage, I’m sure one of the other vets from the practice could visit but not even sure of that. I would imagine the place would jog him periodically and send the video?

It’s not really an option to go visit either of the rehabs frequently as they are both multiple hours away.

I’ve read that pool swimming can be hard on their backs? Is that true?

Also for him, his regular turnout routine consists of walking from his hay to the shed in a medium sized private paddock and making grinchy faces at his over the fence neighbor. He doesn’t run or carry on, it’s just being outside. There is no lovely, grass pasture with a herd of friends

1 Like

I rehabbed one for Rood and Riddle that had failed at a couple of other places. He had been swimming and was COVERED in rain rot. I am sure that is not the norm but it truly was awful.

1 Like

Training a horse to swim in a pool can be pretty sketchy at first if they’ve never done it before. I’d go back to #1. The aquatread can have a very high level of water and is much safer. I wouldn’t want to lose all of the fitness you just gained from the prior rehab.

3 Likes

@ATXmom, if you have a gut feeling about which option you should take, go with that. You know the horse, and gut feelings can be pretty reliable.

If this was me and my horse, I would go with option 3–keep him at home. Keeping him in his home environment would be much better for his mental health, and I would be able to see him and monitor his progress every day. But I’m retired and have the time to do that, and I’m neurotic about wanting to be completely in control of my horses’ care.

2 Likes

Yes swimming is considered contraindicated for horses with back conditions such as kissing spine because of the protracted contraction of the topline (as they hold their heads high above the water). You had said your vet prescribed swimming though, so presumably your vet thinks that the benefits of swimming (of which there are many) outweigh the risks.

I don’t think you specified what the injury was, so whether it’s the kind of thing that will benefit from aquatreading instead of swimming is something you should ask your vet.

Whether an aquatread is better than swimming for general fitness is something that could probably be researched, but the two are different enough I would want to know that the injury isn’t affected negatively by one or the other. Certainly, an aquatread is better for general fitness than no aquatread.

Because the facility is so far away, and your regular vet doesn’t go that far, I would:

1. Find out which vets do go there, and whether there is a very competent sports vet that can take over rechecks (I would assume so, if it’s a rehab facility).

2. Decide if you are comfortable spending a few weekends going to check on your horse given that you’ve never used it. I currently drive 90 min to visit my horse at rehab. I did it two weekends in a row when I first moved her to make sure I was happy with the care, then switched to ~ once a month. Not sure if you have that kind of time (if you have a farm at home, I suspect not!), but if you can’t get assurances from someone you know at trust about the care, I agree that I would be skeptical. There are so many different standards of horse care and it can be hard. Then again, I often have to remind myself that, as long as the horse is happy, sometimes it’s ok to live with normal horse keeping standards (versus my own which I constantly have to keep in check since I board :joy:).

If you’re not comfortable sending him somewhere unknown, and the horse was not happy at option 1 (was it full stall rest, without the run? A run can make a big difference in how confined they feel. I’m assuming he was sedated, e.g., trazadone?), I would keep him at home. If he can have full turnout at your place, and you can hand walk him once a day at a good march and with, say, regular walking over cavaletti poles (assuming that is allowed per vet), with tummy tucks and back lifts, etc, to keep a little bit of fitness, then that would probably be fine. You’d be amazed what 45 minutes a day of a good march with a relaxed neck and swinging back can do! (Plus, maybe there’s a facility a little closer with an aquatread that accepts trailer-ins? In our area there are a few places like that that don’t necessarily do full-on rehabs. Maybe you can trailer out once a week? Just throwing ideas out).

Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery to FULL and long term soundness!

edit: Maybe I’m a little confused - I thought you said the horse was not happy on stall rest. Was that not at the rehab? If he was happy at rehab option 1, send him back there to keep doing the aquatread (since it sounds like your vet wasn’t explicitly saying “swimming,” but more like “water.” Which frankly I find odd to conflate the two, as they are two very different exercises.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone for weighing in, I appreciate you!

Vet uses “swimming” as a bucket term for water based therapy, but we will clarify before we decide.

Vet did not indicate that walking, either in hand or under tack was an option at this point. If it was, horse would be staying home without question.

Vet is also associated with option 1, so I know he’s there every other week for rechecks. Our trainer said specifically that he does not travel to option 2.

During Horsies’ last rehab, he was in a stall without a run for 6 months, 3 months at home and then 3 months at rehab when he was cleared to start therapy. He was tranquilized for the first 4 months but once he started with his therapy, the facility took him off as it wasn’t needed. Other than not being turned out, he did well there, they loved him and the care was excellent. They caught his colics immediately and had him in the trailer to the clinic right away, horse thankfully, had good outcomes.

The horse is boarded, both my daughter & I work full time and don’t have a rig anymore, so it’s not feasible to trailer to therapy. Both facilities do allow for trailering in but they are hours away, unfortunately. The cost of hiring someone to drive even a few times would likely end up costing more than full care at either facility.

Lots to consider for sure

2 Likes

Not a fan of swimming as a horse’s sole mode of work. Aquatread would be much better. Personally, I would probably keep him home. Deciding between 1 and 3 is up to which trade offs are best for you and your daughter. Best of luck to the three of you!

1 Like

I would go with option 1. Sounds like they did a great job the first time around and your vet will be involved. That itself provides a great deal of comfort.

1 Like