Unlimited access >

Rehoming the aggressive dog

Back story. I do not know this person except via an online BB (not this one). I have not commented on her situation.

Person’s sister died, and person took her dog who I believe is BC or BC mix. Dog has attacked person’s dog twice, once requiring stitches. Dog has bitten person’s son. Dog is now separated from person’s other dogs while person e-mails rescues about taking the dog.

Would a rescue take a dog with a bite history? Discuss.

In my experience no. They wouldn’t even take one with vet aggression, who was a fine dog otherwise.

I hate to say it because i know this dog is an extension of the late sister… but this dog needs to be euthed. There is no good ending here.

18 Likes

An aggressive dog is a dangerous dog. Dogs can kill people. It does happen.

9 Likes

Sadly, I have to agree that it is probably best to put the dog down. It is not safe to be around in any situation.

If by BC you mean Border Collie, the ones I meet tend to be one person dogs. They don’t switch loyalties well, then add in an entirely new living situation and dog reacts badly. Or VERY badly in this case. Let him go before an even worse attack happens!! No guilt, sister appears to have tried very hard with him, now she has to toss in the towel, put him down, because nothing is going well.

6 Likes

Yes, Border Collie.

In some states euthanasia is the penalty for a second bite. If the bite, no matter how minimal or it is the owner bitten in her own home, requires treatment in an ER it is reported.

I suppose the bite clock could be re-started by moving the dog out of state, but why?

This makes me wonder if there are such laws related to horse bites? Anyone aware of any?

1 Like

My answer to this question is she doesn’t want the dog due to those very serious issues so why would anyone else. Put the dog to sleep.

13 Likes

If I were that person, I wouldn’t want any potential liability from passing this dog along. It has attacked both other dogs and a human. Continuing to move it along may make it even more confused or uncomfortable and cause it to bite again. Difficult as it may be, euthanize the dog.

5 Likes

I mean, think of it this way.

If the late sister was alive, and knew her dog bit her nephew, she too would likely have the dog destroyed.

The dog aggression can be managed, the human aggression is intolerable.

1 Like

They took the dog to the vet to be euthed. The vet asked them to sign over the dog since the vet runs a “rescue.” The vet told them the dog is young and healthy and deserves a chance. Now the dog is the vet’s problem. And apparently the dog tried to attack owner’s dog again the morning.

6 Likes

The last thing the world needs is a vet who rehomes aggressive dogs instead of putting them down.

19 Likes

You’d be surprised how many let the techs take them home when folks leave them to be euthed.

I don’t think I would be. There are a lot of people with more heart than brains and zero sense.

1 Like

Some rescues will take aggressive dogs, or dogs with a bite history, and even adopt them out.

I got one who had a human aggression issue (that they told me about, but said she was better). She was fine with me, but aggressive to other people, and unfortunately to vets/vet techs. This really became an issue when she had to have surgery and they had a hard time dealing with her. After a lot of trying with no improvement in her behavior, I ended up euthanizing her instead when she needed a second surgery. Even though a DNA test didn’t mention it, the vet suspected she was part Border Collie.

So the next dog I tried to adopt from a different group, at the last minute they said, “Oh by the way, he has a bite history.” I told them “No thank you, been there done that.” He dropped off their list, don’t know if he was adopted or euthanized. Unfortunately, I suspect the former. Hope whoever got him has good liability insurance.

1 Like

To be fair, that’s how I got the best dog in the world—a puppy mill ACD who was brought in to be euthanized by his apartment dwelling owners who were mad that he kept jumping out of the patio fence where they made him live. But he wasn’t aggressive.

I lived on a farm and offered to take him. It took about 10 minutes of living in my house for him to bond with me, and he was never even on a leash until I moved into town. I miss him every single day and think about what idiots his former owners were.

9 Likes

This is a very different situation though. (And your photo is totally adorable!)

This vet was rehoming a dog with a problem that was not aggression, that could most likely be fixed by a different living situation.

I own a dog who was rehomed by my vet too. The dog was brought in very broken (physically). Owner did not want to fix it. Vet had them sign the dog over and fixed it and rehomed it.

I do hope the dog in the OP landed with a vet who is a behaviorist and the dog lands softly because of it.

7 Likes

I hope the vet and the “rescue” have very good liability insurance.

Person posted that dog has already been rehomed. The new place has 2 other rescues, is on 5 acres, and there is a stream on the property so dog can splish splash. It’s only a matter of time until he bites one of the other dogs.

1 Like

I know this “rehoming” happens at Vet offices because I know a couple people who got dogs that way. Totally unethical on the Vet’s part because dogs were SUPPOSED to be euthanized and he got paid for that service!!

After learning this, I stay with my pets until it is finished and take the body home. No fake euthenizing. I do trust my Vets, but better a “done for sure” ending than animal getting passed on. My friend has always wondered if her horse actually got put down or stolen at the Vet’s office. He was in for observation after a colic. Her SO stopped and visited the horse in early afternoon, looked and acted fine, talked to her SO, got brushed down. They were coming to pick him up later. When they got there horse was gone!! Vet told her horse had coliced again so badly they put him down! She wanted a piece of hair, but the rendering truck had picked up body ALREADY , he was gone!! Three hours of timespread! She was in total shock for a couple days, did not call out the Vet, ask for hauling service number right then. By the time she called me, it was too late to actually do anything about it.

Horse was a handsome Paint, well trained, abut 16H. A nice horse to live with. After emotions settled, she is sure they stole him, just hopes the person took good care of him since. Of course she never used that Vet again, but there are less Vets to choose from all the time. Some folks may not have a choice of Vets when they need one. Some are extremely unethical, as we all know when the dollar speaks.

Stories like these make me angry and very wary. We are lucky enough to be able to haul horses, dogs, cats, home, to bury them there. No chance of “losing them” at any time.

Sister faced with a slight chance of not killing her sister’s last reminder, perhaps saving a costly euthenizing expense, let the dog go to be rehomed. Hope the adopters sue the Vet on the misrepresentation when dog bites again. It will because it has crossed the line of human respect. No bite humans (pack leaders) is so important! Much easier to cross that line again when pushed.

2 Likes

You are adding a variable that it does not sound like was the case here. This vet had the owner sign the dog over instead of euthanizing.
That was how it happened with the dog I adopted too. They had a contract. The vet paid them for the dog even.

I am not saying there are not unethical people in the world, but in my experience getting paid for euthanasia and then adopting out the dog is not one of them.

2 Likes