Unlimited access >

Reining trainer in Northern California?

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for reining trainers in Northern California, particularly ones that may have lease or lesson horses. I’m in SF proper, willing to go any direction but hoping not to drive more than ~1.5 hr (one way) or so.

I rode hunter/jumpers my whole life, but took a several-year break for grad school. I’ve always wanted to try reining and now that I’m ready to get back into horses, it seems like a great time to make the switch. I’m not sure if leasing/lesson horses are common in the reining world, but ideally I would like to start with lessons and/or a lease so that I can try out the sport. Really grateful for any leads - thanks in advance!

Have you tried to contact any local reining association listed trainers in your area?

https://nrha.com/findapro

Maybe @TheHunterKid90 will see this and have some ideas, she works with reiners and may know some in your area.

1 Like

Mike Boyle and Jordan Larson are both Ione.
Tracer Gilson is Sanger

Mike has a very strong non pro program so probably has a few horses able to teach lessons. Leases aren’t very common in our world but you may find a lease situation if maybe an owner is taking a hiatus. Lease horses are typically expected to stay in a well known trainers program and not just taken home.

3 Likes

Also wanted to add that I come the same background. 10 years ago I made the switch and never looked back. You will be hooked. :blush:

6 Likes

Mike and Barbi Boyle. I’ve known them since they were in college. Always kind to the horses.

Galligans are in Petaluma but frankly that drive is such a bottleneck these days that the drive to Ione might actually be shorter, certainly more pleasant.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, super helpful recommendations! Will reach out to these folks. Ione is a bit of a hike but I think I can make it work for good trainers and horses.

@TheHunterKid90 - omg, stunning photo. Definitely goals!!

1 Like

Dave Hanson is back in CA and he’s in Clements, near Ione.

Talk to Mike Boyle, he may have recommendations for you, perhaps a former student who is now on their own.

1 Like