Unlimited access >

Reins… please help me shop

As I sit here cleaning my reins, I keep thinking there’s gotta be a better option. I’m looking for reins that are:

-on the thinner side
-very flexible “out of the box”, broken in feeling
-(most important) easy to clean

• grippy when wet
    -buckles are preferable to hook and stud

Right now, I have webbed reins. Pros- I like the thickness and general grip. Cons- The brown ones are ok but I feel like the black ones absorb dust that never comes out (despite my attempts) do they looks permanently faded.

I also have some rubber reins. Mine are by Bobby’s (?I think). Cons- they’re just a bit too thick. People also voice concerns or over rubber reins melting in the heat. Pros- very easy to clean

I’ve had braided leather reins but cannot stand cleaning them! They are also bad grip-wise when wet.

Is there a set of reins out there that’s smooth leather on the outside, rubber or webbed on the inside, with the hand stops and rein stops? I feel like the smooth leather outside would be easy to clean and return to show condition, while the hand stops and interior lining would add the grip I’m looking for.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Take a look at correct connect reins. A lot of people like them! I tried them once and really liked the grippiness of them and I usually use thinlines.

1 Like

I think the PS of Sweden softy reins mostly fit your criteria. I do think it’s a little difficult to get the inside rubber part completely clean without getting the leather part wetter than I would like, but at least the rubber is on the inside so less obvious if it’s a little dirty.

I like the Schockemohle Dura Soft - I have the ones with no rubber. I also have the PS Softy, but I like the feel of the leather (softer, more substantial) and the placement of the stops (closer together) better on the Schockemohle.

3 Likes

Maybe these?

The Nunn Finer soft grip rubber reins are my favorite reins. They are very flexible and fit nicely in smaller hands. The only con is they get slippery when wet or from neck sweat. So imagine my delight when I found they now make these reins with hand stops. I have not bought them yet but please believe they are on the to-get list!

1 Like

I posted in Dressage with similar criteria to your question… here’s the thread:

I ended up buying the PSoS softy/super grip reins and really like them. I also recently wore my SSG Aquatack gloves with them on a damp day and I had zero grip problems. Note that I’m not doing anything too strenuous - just light flatwork and trail riding - so I haven’t put any of my gear REALLY through the paces, but I’m very happy with these reins.

Thank you everyone!!

Yes! These: https://www.doversaddlery.com/durasoft-reins-grip/p/X1-03299/

They check every single box you listed above.

Depending on whether your priority is easy to clean or grip, you can get these reins with or without rubber on the inside. The rubber interior may not be the absolute easiest to clean, because it’s rubber (the leather outside is super easy, especially as the blocks/hand stops are sewn under the leather, so it’s a smooth, continuous surface instead of leaving ridges for your saddle soap to collect).

ETA these are the same ones @ExpialidociousOTTB recommended.

1 Like

I first read your thread title as “Reins…please help me stop” and I burst out laughing here at work. I was honestly a little disappointed to re-read your actual title! :rofl:

5 Likes