Unlimited access >

Relatively sudden/rapid topline muscle loss causes?

Any ideas on why a horse would suddenly lose a lot of muscle over the topline over a period of about five weeks?

I noticed the SI become prominent first as the muscle on either side reduced. Then the spine became more prominent. Then hollows in front of and below the point of hip and behind the shoulder blades appeared at the same time as ribs became visible. Then the neck muscles in front of the withers got narrow (viewed from above) while the under neck muscles stayed the same. Finally I noticed a slight dip in front of the withers today.

No feed changes prior to the initial loss. I have increased his feed and added amino acids supplements after his ribs appeared. Further muscle loss has occurred.

It has been a very hot and humid summer here. A few years ago I was clipping his summer coat because he had trouble regulating his body temperature. The last 2-3 years he’s managed without clipping and he’s been doing well this year.

The horse is worked regularly, dressage and trail, lifts his back and reaches out to the contact.

Just turned 13 six weeks ago.

Chiro found no major issues and in fact commented on how his lower back felt really good and strong (4 weeks ago and today) despite the muscle loss, and today how non reactive he was when his withers were adjusted. Noteworthy because four months ago I had x-rays done to look for kissing spine (clean, open joints). She also mentioned that she could feel a joint in the front of his withers that he usually has covered in too much muscle for her to feel.

The horse did have a sore back for a period this spring caused initially by his saddle bridging after he’d built up the muscle behind his shoulder blades over the winter. Healing was hindered by spring footing, lack of ridden work (the provincial lockdown had the saddle fitter stuck on the other side of the border), and an overly rough playmate. I did do some work in hand, longeing, and ponying to keep his muscling. He did lose a little of the new muscle behind his shoulders, but not enough to relieve the bridging issue. I started riding again mid June after a saddle adjustment.

He has done a number of longer rides, regular dressage work, and an Endurance competition (26 mile rides) four weeks ago - after which he did increase the muscle behind his shoulder blades, only to lose it again over the subsequent two weeks to today. I have been shimming the saddle and had to use a thinner shim for a week, nothing for a few days, then go back to the thicker one on Monday to keep him happy for a 21km ride (13miles). The saddle fitter also came today and adjusted his saddle. Minimal adjustment required and the shortest “Eeeew! It’s different! I don’t like it!” reaction on record - two steps. It usually takes several minutes to persuade him to stop reacting and actually think about how it feels.

My other horse has loss of topline as his one obvious PPID symptom so I wonder if this horse has PPID as well. The confirmed PPID horse didn’t have sudden muscle loss at any point though, he just never really had the muscle he should have given his work and feed.

I am stumped and worried and yes, I’m getting the vet out in the next couple of weeks. Any ideas of what to look for?

1 Like

My Arabian had this happen in college and we pulled blood and he was anemic. Not terrible but enough he needed supplementation until he passed away at almost 36.

I’d have the vet out soon, start with a bunch of bloodwork - Lyme, EPM, cancer markers, etc. I’d also consider look at digestive issues - teeth and ulcers.

4 Likes

PPID is an obvious concern so definitely test.

But you say no change in diet yet it seems like the endurance rides might be new and/or above average work. They would seem to require additional calories or weight loss might occur.

The back soreness afterwards suggest maybe lack of proper condition for endurance work. It might take longer to build up to that than it seems.

3 Likes

The back soreness was back in the spring and resolved prior to starting riding again in June. The Endurance ride was the beginning of August. So pain resolved for almost three months prior to Endurance rides and has not returned. That’s part of the question - no apparent pain to explain it. :worried:

I did/do feed extra of the same feed around endurance rides to cover the additional energy demands. My BO even thought he was fat mid July (he wasn’t, he just has the well sprung, round barrel rib cage that looks fat when the ribs are easily felt but not visible). I’ve also found that weight loss caused by extra activity demands usually has the ribs showing prior to muscle loss. I did increase his daily ration of hard feed almost two weeks ago yet muscle loss continues. I feel like there’s some gain over his ribs, but I’m not convinced yet.

Good thoughts, thank you. :slightly_smiling_face: I apologize for confusing the timeline of events in that wall of text.

He did have his teeth done in April and happily eats everything he’s given but it wouldn’t hurt to check for any changes. He’s not been reactive on the ulcer points at any point - the chiropractor is quick to pick up on any sensitivity on the ulcer points and she got no reaction today. I will see what the vet thinks now.

Thanks for the ideas on what to look for with the bloodwork. I don’t know if we have EPM in this area,. but the vet will know.

Thank you - anemia had not even occured to me.

Following. I just went through/am going through the exact same sequence of muscle loss. Tested for EPM (clinical with equine neurologist), PPID (stim), Lyme, Vit E, kissing spines (x-rays), and complete bloodwork. Nothing.

So, what kind of increase are you doing, for example, before a 13 mile ride?

What does the rest of his diet look like?

One thing that can happen is that a horse can start to lose but it doesn’t really become that obvious until it hits a certain point - and then it looks more like dramatic weight loss. I have had this happen to me when training for endurance events; the initial weight loss looked like fitness (and it was) but I was in caloric deficit more often than not, and it caught up to me. It took active effort to put it back on while still training.

I am just wondering if it is just a total calorie issue. But I would definitely check for other things if you’re unsure - because it could be multiple causes that when combined made it more rapid.

Does he have access to all the good hay he wants when not at pasture? Is the pasture excellent quality? Now is the time when depending on where you live/ the temps/ rainfall that the grass is just not as good. It will rebound for a bit come fall( in my area at least) but with his increased workload he may need way more than increased hard feed before an endurance ride.

It sounds like you board. From this forum that right there makes me wonder if he is getting enough hay.

1 Like

Cushings horses lose top line SUPER fast

4 Likes

What’s his breed/breeding? Any chance of IMM/MYHM

Free choice unlimited hay. We’re in dry conditions at the moment so no grass. When there is grass they have access for several hours a day. It’s limited so they get some grass for longer but of course only weeds grow when it’s this hot and dry.

I give him additional forage using a couple of pounds of soaked alfalfa cubes. I mix his hard feed into it.

No QH/Paint blood, symptoms don’t match, no recent immunization, in the unlikely to develop age bracket - I’d have to say unlikely in the extreme.

But thanks for that link! I’d never heard of this one before.

It certainly could be total calories. The ridiculous heat we’ve been having tends to make weight gain difficult which could be affecting him even with the additional feed. He used to really struggle with the heat to the point of cooking his gut bacteria. While he’s done very well the last 2-3 years there could still be enough difficulty to affect how well he’s digesting his feed.

That is my big worry. :worried:

In my area, summer is the “hard season” for weight gain / maintenance. We get plenty of grass growth, but extreme heat/humidity/bugs is hard on horses. Winter is the easy season for us here disclaimer-winter is easy here provided one feeds hay or has winter grazing. Those nimrods that don’t have either obviously see weight loss more in winter

1 Like

Winter is also a hard season here a it is cold (think 4-5 months of snow). There is a window in the fall where it’s not so cold that horses are using their calories to stay warm and is also cool enough for them to be comfortable. This window is shrinking as the summer heat is lasting longer. It should not be this hot this late in August. Last Saturday broke temperature records.

I’m trying to catch this window for my other horse who dropped weight with the heat affecting his breathing. He needs more insulation before it gets cold.

1 Like

Oh bother. I hope he picks up soon! Is he up out of the heat of the day? Mine are sweating even kept in good shade under fans in an open air barn. It’s miserable out there, but it will start cooling off soon, right?

1 Like

Had an emergency vet call yesterday for my other horse after he almost fell over on me several times and mentioned my intent to have her out again in the next couple of weeks. She thought it worth testing muscle-loss-horse for PPID and also suggested EPM. It must be present in this area. She did say it was rare but if everything else came back clear that would be worth testing for.

She also offered a free PPID test! Boehringer Ingleheim (sp?) is paying for tests if the horse hasn’t been tested before and the owner fills out a questionnaire online. The clinic hasn’t got the links ready to send out yet but it should be in the next couple of weeks. Sign me up for that!

I’ll update when I get some results.

6 Likes