Unlimited access >

RELOCATING to NC or SC

We are planning to relocate from Michigan to either SC or NC. We need a horse property with some privacy (no clear cut communities where you see 10 neighbours :slight_smile: and not on any major roads), and, most of all, deeded trails to ride.
So, we kind of focused on the Tryon/ Landrum area and were shocked by the $$$ tags. Then we looked at Aiken, e.g., Bridle Creek (to find out it is a ghost town during the summer), Three Runs Plantation, Chime Bell Chase … and are still not sure what to do.
How are the SUMMERS “down there” ?
Can anybody tell me anything about 3Runs Plantation or Chime Bell or any other equestrian community?
Thanks

I live in central NC, just SW of Chapel Hill. I do have access to about 3 miles of trails as the neighbors allow riding. However, I just wanted to say even if you don’t have direct access to trails in my area we do have access to a ton of places to ride within 1-1.5hrs drive. In the winter we often go to the Moss Foundation in Southern Pines and in the summer go to Uhwarrie, Raven Rock, and about two other state parks that I can’t think of their names right now.

The summers here, to me, are quite nice. Of course there is heat and humidity but no worse than where I grew up in NJ/ NY area…maybe just a month longer. Best things is Fall and Spring come and last at least a few months longer too!

My parents retired to WNC, first place was a farm in the Mills River area. We hiked many times in the Pisgah National Forest. Here’s a link to trails open to riding in NC National Forests

I love the Asheville/Hendersonville/Brevard area. It is beautiful, summer days are warm and humid but cool off at night, some snow but doesn’t usually stick around some. I can remember a few ice storms. I don’t know anything about the current real estate market there. There is a big facility that hosts horse shows right by the Asheville airport www.wncagcenter.org/

I second Southern Pines and the area around the Moss Foundation. It’s over 3000 acres, with sandy soil. Great horse community. And you’re not that terribly far from some of the other great places to ride in the state.

I live in the northern part of NC and apparently have miles and miles of trails around me, but it’s all owned by neighbors, not deeded for trail use. You are also risking your life during deer season going out there on any day but Sunday.

[QUOTE=whitney159;7973660]
I second Southern Pines and the area around the Moss Foundation. It’s over 3000 acres, with sandy soil. Great horse community. And you’re not that terribly far from some of the other great places to ride in the state.
.[/QUOTE]

I lived there in the early 1970s for a few years and the places were expensive even then …what are they going for now a few million for set-up horse property??

I thought the summers were a little close I believe was how the locals called it

[QUOTE=Susanne2015;7973493]
We are planning to relocate from Michigan to either SC or NC. We need a horse property with some privacy (no clear cut communities where you see 10 neighbours :slight_smile: and not on any major roads), and, most of all, deeded trails to ride.
So, we kind of focused on the Tryon/ Landrum area and were shocked by the $$$ tags. Then we looked at Aiken, e.g., Bridle Creek (to find out it is a ghost town during the summer), Three Runs Plantation, Chime Bell Chase … and are still not sure what to do.
How are the SUMMERS “down there” ?
Can anybody tell me anything about 3Runs Plantation or Chime Bell or any other equestrian community?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Re Tryon/Landrum you may not be looking hard enough and a lot depends on exactly what you’re looking for in terms of amount of land and what type of amenities (house size, type of barn, fencing, arena, etc.) I live in the area and can find farms for sale anywhere from $170,000 to $4 million. You might try contacting a RE agent to tell them what you have in mind and see what they can find.

As for trails, we do have over 200+ miles of them - some are open only to people who actually live along that trail system (CETA, NPA and Fairview Farms) but the FETA trails (Foothills Equestrian Trails Assn) actually has the most trails and is open for membership for anyone who lives in Polk County and some of the nearby SC towns. Many of the trails along CETA and FETA are permanently deeded. (We also have the largest, longest running Hunter Pace series in the US - 25 yo, 18 events a year Sept thru May) which gives us the chance to ride on trails that are normally private.)

You might also want to look at the area around DuPont National Forest, which is closer to the Hendersonville/Flat Rock, NC, area. It has many, many trails and by virtue of its sheer size may offer more options in terms of close-in properties in a variety of prices. The Dupont trails are mixed-use (horses, hikers, bicycles) while the trail systems around Tryon are horse only.

Rutherford County, which is the county to the east of us, is a little more rural and is in the process of establishing its own trail system also. The land there is typically less expensive than in Polk County (Tryon) but those prices will be going up for the properties close to the new Tryon Intl Equestrian Center which is on the very east edge of Polk, west edge of Rutherford.

Anyway, good luck with your search.

well, they charge about 800K for something “basic” with not a lot of acres and a house that needs work … somehow unacceptable for a variety of reasons :wink:

Thanks, we have contacted 2 RE agents and somehow they try to tell us it will be close to 800 K - and this just does not work for us!!! So, we try to do some research via internet to find something affordable (!) but it is somehow discouraging so far (price wise), if one wants a somehow private setup, no major road, close to trail, and a house that is in move in condition …

We looked long and hard in the Tryon area. Could not find an affordable to us horse property. Found a to us great place in Aiken for at least 1/2 what the same property would have cost us in the Tryon area. Still close enough into town to get to the tack and feed stores, Publix, Fresh Market, Target, restaurants etc., in under 20 minutes. We’re not in a development, but have friends in Three Runs and Chime Bell that love it. We were disappointed to find Virginia property costs in Tryon area pricing us out, but are very happy in Aiken. We run fans in the summer for the horses which seem to keep them quite comfortable. There are no mosquitos and we use fly boots to keep stomping to a minimum. Tracey Turner with Meybohm Realty is a horse person and very nice to deal with if you want to give a quick call to see what might be available. She often knows of horse properties coming onto the market that aren’t listed yet. Good luck!

We live in southern pines and love it, but it is very pricey. But if you’re willing to trailer 10 or 15 mins to trails, you can find some more affordable farms. We have New Hampshire friends that just spent a week in tryon looking at horse farms. They found several nice options in the $4-6K range.

I know the new facility has made people a little nuts with selling property, but I can’t believe the prices you’ve been quoted in the Tryon area.

It’s the deeded trail access driving the price up.

A big, turn-key property on one of the trail systems in the Tryon area is pricey, no doubt about it. But the trade-off in weather between the Foothills and Aiken is pretty huge. Summers are longer and hotter in Aiken, for sure.

I’ve lived in South FL, SC Pennsylvania, NE Indiana and Western PA. I’ve definitely seen tremendous differences in how far your dollar can stretch when it comes to purchasing a horse property. When I moved here, I found a beautiful 8 acres in a lovely private area at a very reasonable price. It’s a lot less house and land than I was used to, but the trade-off was worth it. It’s such a terrific area for horses (and in a lot of other ways), I haven’t looked back.

Try Virginia…the southern central part, it’s beautiful. SC has fire ants which are a negative for horses, it also gets very hot and humid in the summer and the flies are small and miserable. NC is an option but then again, go north of Southern Pines.

Check out todshill.com
New Equestrian Community in Aiken. 10 minutes to downtown. Beautiful land. Large lots.

I just moved to Aiken from Mississippi! I bought a place right in front of Steeplechase equestrian. It is a good deal more expensive in Aiken than it was in MS. I looked at 3 Runs but it was way more than I could afford.

There are tons of horse communities around here but what I see (totally my opinion): most of them were started back in 2005ish when the economy was decent. In 2008ish the crash came and many of the eq communities crawled to a halt. People who had land in them didn’t build. A lot of people overpaid for what they have so they just held on to it hoping the economy would get better. Fast forward to 2014: prices are generally becoming “more reasonable”. IF you have a barn/house to rent, the rental market is pretty strong for the snowbird season. There’s a lot of housing options in the $330k+ market but they’ll be for sale a year or better. If a house comes up w/horse infrastructure in the $220-$300 range if is gone in a micro-second.

A few eq communities here seem to have the “critical mass” to keep going: 3 Runs, Chime Bell Chase, Steeplechase, Bridlewood. Spring Meadows on the north side of Aiken is nice, but very quiet - only a few places in it.

About 10 years ago I lived in Greenville, SC and had horses boarded in Tryon. Tryon is a great area but I couldn’t afford it back then, can’t imagine how $$ it is now!

I’m in the swamps of NE SC. The closest town you’d have heard of is North Myrtle Beach, which is 35 miles due west of me.

Land is still very affordable here. I’m not sure what “deeded trails” are but most of our roads are still dirt and the county maintains them. Just stay off them during deer season - they hunt with dog packs and race around in their trucks following the radio signals from the collars and you can get run over. But that’s only Sept 15- Jan 1. The hounds will stray onto your property but they’re mild-mannered with horses and people. Sadly they will eat your chickens - which you should have because they help with the flies. Did I mention the insects? Swamps, heat, lots of host animals both domestic and wild - yeah, we have a few bugs. :smiley:

Summer is hotter than forty hells. Most of us just don’t ride then, or only ride really early in the morning - like around 6 or 7. You need to be off the horse by eight or nine unless you’re made of sterner stuff than I. But it’s only July through mid-Sept. Which is when hunting season starts. :uhoh:

Right now it’s pretty nice. Just as long as your horse doesn’t mind going through water - it rains a lot in January.

We have a couple of good young vets in the area. If you need anything requiring a surgery, though you need to trailer to NC State.

But land’s cheap. :smiley:

RE: Bridle Creek in Aiken - more activity going on now - several year round people ready to build shortly (hubby and I are ready as soon as we sell here in Lexington) - so not as lonely there in summer anymore.

I think Aiken is great! My place is 20 minutes from Aiken out in horse country on the 302. It’s an easy drive into town through all the fabulous horse venues like Full Gallop, Paradise Farm etc. I love seeing all the horse trailers coming and going to events.

I think there are more year round people now. I don’t think the summers are bad at all. To me they are the same as in NC.

I just moved due to hubby’s work (I’m still mourning the move!) so you can see an example of what your $$ will get you for a 10 acre place with horse facilities and a home 20 minutes from downtown Aiken. http://www.hiddencreekaiken.com

[QUOTE=eventgroupie2;7977404]
RE: Bridle Creek in Aiken - more activity going on now - several year round people ready to build shortly (hubby and I are ready as soon as we sell here in Lexington) - so not as lonely there in summer anymore.[/QUOTE]
I am one of those that has a lot there and will be living there year round .

Three Runs pretty much sells as quickly as the land can be cleared and prepped for the market. The majority of residents are full-time, though there are also several seasonal ones. It’s a very active community, has excellent arenas, a clubhouse, pool, x-c area, and 30 miles of marked trails. A fitness center will be built this year. Phase 5 is on the market, phase 6 is being cleared, and phase 7 will finish up the 2400 acres.

Bridle Creek is still mostly seasonal, it’s good to read that it will be changing soon. It really has been a ghost town in summer and circus in winter, though. I understand that all three full-time houses there were on the market last year. I think one sold, one has been taken off the market, and one is still for sale. I rented there one summer, the trails were plentiful but not marked and not that well maintained. The community riding area is not nearly as nice as Three Runs, and many of the farms have their own facilities.

I was at a party in Steeplechase recently and the hostess said there are hardly any horses in the development. She boards hers out despite having room at home. I think she said three homes have horses there. Really didn’t end up being a success story as an equestrian community.

Chime Bell has great terrain, but a pretty large house requirement (3K or 3.5K square feet?) whereas Three Runs doesn’t have a minimum. And when you have only a handful of homeowners, it’s an issue if you don’t all get along (I have heard of this being a problem for Chime Bell Chase, Wire Road, and Hatchaway). The bigger developments like Three Runs, Bridle Creek, and Fox Hollow seem to be better off on that front, but they all have some detractors.

You hear a lot about the heat and humidity in the summers here…because there isn’t much else to bitch about. Yes, it’s hot and humid compared to places like Canada and the Rocky Mountains, etc. But it’s NOT more miserable than a lot of places that I’ve spent time in the summers, and there are times when Vermont has been hotter than Aiken.

Tryon is GORGEOUS but Aiken is more convenient. Each appeals to different people. (This is also true of the individual developments, each has pros and cons and appeals to different needs.) We thought we would be moving to Tryon and shopped there until a trip to Aiken changed our minds.